CWD Plan???

elks96

Long Time Member
Well since it passed today... I am still trying to figure out how to stay on top of the Wildlife Happening in WY...

What is in the CWD Plan? Is it the same stupid crap as other states? Kill all the deer so there are not deer to get sick?

I will try and read it soon. I sent in comments a while back... Necer sure if anyone reads them or not, wish I was there in person...

I know they want to drastically reduce the mature buck population in the area we work for a rancher. We've worked for years to build up a good population of mature bucks with NO CWD positives from the ranch. We regularly take bucks up to 8 1/2 years old and yet we have a huge CWD issue and mature bucks are not making it ?
It will not fly for us and we will not do what they ask. It will open up some Nov. hunting in some areas, new seasons. That will be interesting.
By the way the ranch we manage borders the Sybille Research unit.
I am curious what icmdeer thinks about the plan.

I’ve never seen any evidence that reducing mature buck numbers stops, or even reduces, the spread of CWD and I’m not a fan of throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what sticks.

I know they want to drastically reduce the mature buck population in the area we work for a rancher. We've worked for years to build up a good population of mature bucks with NO CWD positives from the ranch. We regularly take bucks up to 8 1/2 years old and yet we have a huge CWD issue and mature bucks are not making it ?
It will not fly for us and we will not do what they ask. It will open up some Nov. hunting in some areas, new seasons. That will be interesting.
By the way the ranch we manage borders the Sybille Research unit.
I am curious what icmdeer thinks about the plan.
Pam, even before the task force met the G&F was working on reducing mature bucks AND in some areas reducing the whole herd. They even put it as recommendations to the task force before they discussed it. Very sly handed if you asked me and I told my local guys that.

If they want to carry out these extreme measures they will need two things: public support and Commission approval. That was put in the plan.

I too had a couple of interesting conversations with local G&F folks. They said give us time to sort things out and everything will have to have public support.
This is one of the rare times I totally disagree with a proposal.

Not saying I wouldn't put in for a Nov. mule deer tag though where I have access. I'm hoping landowners step up and not allow tons of access for that license , but I know some outfitters that will jump at those tags.

The CWD deal is a real hoax if you ask me! I live close to where it all started here in Colo. The hottest concentration of CWD is something less than 4% of the total deer population in those hotspots. That's 4 out of 100 deer. Many of those 4% deer are carriers (kind of like humans and the coronavirus) and don't get sick and die. The sick CWD deer usually don't last long and get eaten by coyotes. Only a small % of the 4% are bucks...so targeting bucks is a bunch of hogwash. When CWD first emerged here in Colo the CPW actually sent out hired guns shooting mass quantities of bucks in hotspot areas. In the end, they quit doing it because it really didn't help. The CWD prions are in the soil and last for years.

My take on this CWD deal is let nature take it's course. The CPW here in Colo has taken this to a whole new level and are using this as an excuse to sell more tags to generate more income. Colo is going to go from the best B&C state in the Western US to one of the worse by increasing tags and offering later Nov rifle hunting season dates. It's pretty sad. I truly hope Wyo doesn't follow in Colo's footsteps! Wyo has remained conservative in their approach to CWD and hopefully they stay that way. Wyo has a lot more deer losses due to winterkill and poor habitat issues than CWD will ever be!

Well since it passed today... I am still trying to figure out how to stay on top of the Wildlife Happening in WY...

What is in the CWD Plan? Is it the same stupid crap as other states? Kill all the deer so there are not deer to get sick?

I will try and read it soon. I sent in comments a while back... Necer sure if anyone reads them or not, wish I was there in person...

So, you sent in comments on a plan you hadn't read yet?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom