CWD Regulations Question

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
Looking through the 2022 Big Game Brochure I did not see any special restrictions on transporting big game carcasses from CWD units. I thought I remembered some special requirements on only transporting boiled skulls or skull plates with all tissue removed. Anyone know if there are any special restrictions?

I thought those were the rules to take them into other states? I know AZ had something like that.

I thought those were the rules to take them into other states? I know AZ had something like that.
Found the following here.

F. It shall be unlawful to transport dead deer or elk taken from the wild in game management units (GMUs) 7, 8, 9,19, 20,29,38,87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96,191, and 951, to any location outside the area defined by these GMUs, except for the following portions of the carcass:

1. Meat that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately).
2. Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached.
3. Meat that has been boned out
4. Hides with no heads attached.
5. Clean (no meat or tissue attached) skull plates with antlers attached.
6. Antlers with no meat or tissue attached.
7. Upper canine teeth, also known as “buglers”, “whistlers”, or “ivories”.
8. Finished taxidermied heads.

Provided, however, that a hunter may transport the head of a deer or elk from the area defined above directly to Division offices in Denver and Brush, Colorado for the purpose of submitting the head for CWD sampling as required by Commission Regulation #209(G).

Whole carcasses can be transported among any of the listed GMUs provided such transportation occurs entirely within the area defined by these GMUs.

From the same rules:
10. It shall be unlawful to import dead deer or elk from any other state or country from a game management unit, or equivalent wildlife management unit as defined by that state or country, which has been diagnosed as positive for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in the wild, except for the following portions of the carcass:

a. Meat that is cut and wrapped (either commercially or privately).
b. Quarters or other portions of meat with no part of the spinal column or head attached.
c. Meat that has been boned out.
d. Hides with no heads attached.
e. Clean (no meat or tissue attached) skull plates with antlers attached.
f. Antlers with no meat or tissue attached.
g. Upper canine teeth, also known as “buglers”, “whistlers”, or “ivories”, h. Finished taxidermied heads.

Last edited:
So, if I am reading the rules Outdoor Writer posted correctly as long as you are not hunting one of the listed units no special rules apply???

Those rules only apply for transporting animals within the state of Colorado. If you’re traveling to another state, you have to abide by that states rules. Texas requires us to abide by the same rules that Colorado has if we are going to bring an animal back into Texas. That applies to an animal killed anywhere in the state of Colorado, not just those listed as far as Texas is concerned

Thanks txhunter. Is there a certain way you have to clean skull plate.? I have not killed an elk or mulie in Colorado since these rules went into effect.

This is further down on the Texas site :
  • the skinned or unskinned head of a susceptible species may be transported to a taxidermist, provide all brain material, soft tissue, spinal column and any unused portions of the head are disposed of in a landfill in Texas permitted by Texas Commission on Environmental Quality. A Deer Head Waiver Form must be obtained from a TPWD CWD check station or the TPWD CWD website before transporting an intact head from CWD zone or state or country known to have CWD. The waiver should be completed and kept on your person or with the deer head until it reaches the taxidermist. Present the form to the taxidermist to ensure they are aware of the disposal requirements on non-useable parts from the head;

Good to know. Thx!

Just can’t take it home and do a DIY European. And have to jump thru hoops and get a permit.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom