D-6 GENERAL BUCK

trophyfever

WITH ALL THE ROADS CLOSED AND BURNED AREAS, ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE TO START LOOKING FOR A NICE BUCK LAST WEEK OF SEASON UP TO NOV 3.
WEST SIDE OF YOSEMITE ONLY. WEATHER MAY HELP OR HURT.CAMPING AT DON PEDRO LAKE RV.
FIRST TIME IN THAT AREA DEER HUNTING ON WEST SIDE.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Camping at Pedro you will be at least 1.5 hours away from any "open" public land. You will have to head up 108 and hunt north/ east of Strawberry. Herring Creek, Eagle Meadows, Etc. Everything south of 108 is closed except a small portion above Mariposa and south of Hwy 140. Don Pedro would be my last choice as a base camp to hunt the available public land. If your looking for the full hook up type deal for an RV I would be looking at Pinecrest or at least somewhere around Sonora to cut your travel time to the hunting area.

THANKS HARDWAY- I'LL GET OUT MY MAPS AND TAKE YOUR ADVICE ON CAMPING/HUNT AREAS. HAVE YOU HUNTED THIS AREA BEFORE? TOLD YESTERDAY TO HUNT THE CROCKER RIDGE AREA. HAVE D-6 RIFLE TAG AND AO ARCHERY TAG.NO QUAD BUT 5'R WITH 2500 DODGE. HOPE TO GET SOME BAD WEATTHER IN THE PARK TO START THE BIG BOYS MOVING.

Hardaway is right and with what you have to work with Hwy 108 is your best bet with good public access . Ive hunted D6 all my life and the areas already mentioned by Hard. Are great but my experience is that the herds start moving down out of that high country after the first couple of weeks so I'm thinking your best bet is lower anywhere in between The town of Long Barn up to Spring Gap about 5 miles below Pinecrest on Hwy 108. Not much in the way of storms so far or low temps or I would say hunt Long Barn or lower....
Lots of timber hunting in that country around Long Barn ..if you checkout Spring Gap there is A nice campground at the bottom when you cross the river. There is a variety of brush/timber hunting combinations in the area. If you continue on that road where it turns and goes across some huge powerlines looking down to the river. I killed the biggest CA buck in my life from that spot.

Good Hunting

))))------->

GREAAAAT INFO FROM ALL! PICK UP MY TOPOS TOMORROW AND MAP OUT THESE AREAS. CAN I GET A 30FT FIFTH WHEEL INTO SPRING GAP? ALSO, CHECKED WITH FORESTRY AND F AND G, AND NO ONE CAN TELL WHAT ROADS OR AREAS ARE STILL CLOSED. WAS TOLD BY FOREST PERSON TO HUNT SOUTHERN END NEAR CROCKER RIDGE/120, BUT 108 IS WAY UP NORTH. HAVE A WEEK TO HUNT SO I'LL NOSE AROUND FOR BEST POSSIBILITIES. THINK THE DEER ARE ON THE MOVE ALREADY?

THANKS AGAIN

Trophy: nothing over 21ft. Down that road. Not many places to turn around something like that in lots of places if you get off Hwy 108. You may want to call the Pinecrest State campground to see if they are open and have some long campsites. They are about 5 miles up the road from the turn off dropping down to Spring Gap...dude don't take that big rig down that road. You best try and get into a big campground someplace that can accommodate that size rig. Most roads up off 108 are small with tight turns.

The road going down to Spring Gap area is Fraser Flat Rd. The camp ground at the bottom just across the river is Fraser Flat Campground. There are a few places past that camp ground you can get in a 21ft. And park out of a designated campground. Best if you had time to make a quick drive and check it out so you can find a place for your rig.

Good luck,

))))------->

The deer herds are starting to move down automatically this time of year. Now that it is getting colder nights they are going down'in good numbers.. Good in the 5500-3000 ft. Elevations right now. I was at the Serria crest going over Donner coming back from Reno this past weekend. It was 39 degrees.

Good hunt'n

))))------->

can't thankyou you enough hardway and trophyhunter--great info and decided to park the 30 footer in Sonora campground for few days and go up 108 and snoop around at your suggestions.many rv sites closed in October or don't go over 21 ft. turning around always is a problem and finding level ground. didn't realize so much public hunting area closed. all for the moment

Any chance a guy could get an old thread going again?? I'm 18 and I'm trying to get into hunting and because I live in Escalon I thought I'd try my luck at D6. Can anybody give me some good advice for this area? So far (all my research is internet based, no field experience yet) I'm planning on working my way around Herring Creek in the early part of the season then working my way down in elevation as the season progresses. Im planning on a rifle tag btw. Any advice period would be much appreciated!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom