D Bags in the high country

Deepcolor

I am looking for some input from you seasoned high country hunters. I just returned from a week chasing mule deer in Wy. region H and have some questions about other hunters.

I ran into 2 resident hunters the night before the opener while classing the same basin. We spoke about the area for a minute and separated to glass for the last 30 minutes of light. Next morning I glass a couple bucks in the bottom of the basin and a couple moving up the north slope of the basin also. I start to drop into the south end of the basin and run into these 2 guys from the night before as they are hiking out of the basin heading south. I stopped to talk as they marched passed me at 20 yds without as much as a glance my way.

I worked my way through the basin and out the north side without running into the target deer. These same 2 guys met me on the trail and chewed me out for "dropping in" on them 3 times in the last 24 hours. We had a heated discussion about the morning hunt and was accused of having no hunting ethics and was told I hunted like I was from a particular state. We met a guy a couple days later that had similar issues with these guys also.

Long story but I am wondering if I am missing some unwritten rules of the high country.

Do you own the basin if you are a resident?
Do you own the trail if you camp within 10 feet of it?
How do you assume or guess what other hunters are going to do?

Am I missing something or are these guys just D bags?

Public land hunting can be very frustrating for a lot of reasons and this is in the top 3. When I run into other hunters up high or anywhere I try to formulate a plan with them to stay out of each others way. There are always 2 sides to a story, from your side it sounds like they are frustrated with their local honey hole being discovered. They must have watched you a little and critiqued your every move which is easy to do on the sideline. I'm curious what their side of the story tells.

I agree that communication would have made a difference on the opening morning stalk. They had the option but chose to walk past without a glance.

They did not pick the correct state.

My guess is because they're residents, they have probably hunted that area a long time and know what the deer are most likely going to do if not messed with. By dropping into the basin multiple times you may have changed the bucks routine causing the locals to have to formulate a new gameplan. I can speak from experience and say there is nothing more frustrating than working your butt off all year to have some good bucks pinned down for opening morning, just to be blown out by guys that you know haven't spent a minute on the mountain prior to the hunt. Maybe you've scouted and hunted the area a lot in the past and I'm falsely interpreting your post? Did you ever bump the bucks or blow them out to a new zip code?

I Try & Get back in Beyond & Above all Deer & Assholes!

On Rare occasion I will encounter the Later!

If they wanna Discuss the Situation I Always give them 1st Choice as what & How they're gonna Hunt it & I'll go do something Different!

I've Quit Telling them what I'm gonna do!

I Found out the Hard way!

If You do tell them They usually Think you 'know something' & They'll get right in the middle of you nearly every time!

This is a WARNING for the LOWLIFE PRICKS here on the South Slope that have Built/Busted Illegal Wheeler Trails in to the Ballies the Last Couple Years!

You Are LAZY LOWLIFE SCUM of the Earth that Have NO RESPECT for Anything!

There's a Few Locals that Would Love to See You & Your QUADS back in where they don't belong!

You'll Damn Sure Wish You had Run in to a Law Official before you Run in to these Guys!

AMAZING HOW GAWD-DAMNED LAZY/STUPID THESE TARDS ARE!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

Don't sweat it too much. There could have been some better communication but that may have not even mattered in the end.

I'll throw this out there - unfortunately Wyoming is the only place where I've run into resident hunters who didn't like nonresidents being in their hunting area. It has happened multiple times to me plus I've gotten similar stories from other nonresidents. I'm not saying every resident does this but it has in fact happened multiple times. It's really a shame because we are all hunters. Not much you can do. I remain polite and just got about my hunt.

It that old deal it my mountain, my area, my bucks, etc Yea it sucks when you have a good deal going with knowing a area and have someone come it and find your honey hole now it their honey hole now too. Get use to it because 3o years ago it was some else honey hole too. Either find another spot or learn where to be when someone bumps the deer out of your honey hole they do go somewhere you just need to find where that is and then be there waiting.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

They don't own it, no matter what they think or how long they have had it to themselves. Courtesy @ the 1st encounter is my motto. If that fails, then remember what Mick Jagger said about the Pope: "F*** him if he can't take a joke."

The target deer moved to the next basin to the north after the first day. We had scouted this area before the hunt and had a good idea how the deer moved around between several different basins.

The state in question is kind of rectangle shaped with a notch cut out of the top right corner.

I am not really trying to run these guys through the mud, just trying to see if there is an unwritten rule book for future hunts and how to avoid pissed off neighbors.

There are no resident/non-resident rules. You just go and take your chances. If I see other people, I try to use them to my advantage. I'll let them do their thing and try to figure out what the deer will do accordingly. I try to stay a step ahead of them.

elkassassin, I went to check my 1st choice spot for opening day in a couple weeks. The CLOSED ROAD into the area was already dusty from the bow hunters (or pot growers) using it. I'll bypass it and hunt the next ridge over, knowing that most bucks will be pushed there.

There is more to hunting public land than hunting the deer. There is the game within the game.

I was in H as well for the opener. Had two guys from a 3 man camp walk through the middle of and skyline of a promising basin every morning and evening. Talked to 1 of them, super nice but not how I would have hunted it. They were from Ut and if I had made a more aggressive move I would have been in the escape route and thanking those guys so it goes both ways.

>
>>and did he guess California?????? i'll
>>bet he did
>
>Utah is the new Kalifornia.

Very predictable puffytaffy and spoken like a true Neanderthal. I've read enough of your comment to know you have lots of venom for other hunters if they don't drag their knuckles just like you.
Get out of your mommy"s basement and get some fresh air. It'll do you some good.
Zeke

Different people have different ideas and rules. Its public. Its open to everyone. What happens happens. The few times I run into non residents, I tend to try to point them in right directions, if they don't already have an idea.

One year I had an area with several decent bucks. Opening morning, a pack train came up the bottom at 7:00 am. It happens. I've a friend who likes to hunt a particular basin. He states there is always a firefight at first light with several residents and non residents. He never complains. He likes where he goes and always gets a decent buck.

If you don't want competition, you have to hunt where others are not willing to. It will rule out those open basins.

>Do you own the basin if
>you are a resident?

Yes. Wyoming residents own the basin and the deer. Just ask them.

If you think the high country is bad, try shed hunting the winter range in Wyoming. Us "Utards" cause all kinds of problems for Wyoming.

;)

>The target deer moved to the
>next basin to the north
>after the first day. We
>had scouted this area before
>the hunt and had a
>good idea how the deer
>moved around between several different
>basins.
>
>The state in question is kind
>of rectangle shaped with a
>notch cut out of the
>top right corner.
>
>I am not really trying to
>run these guys through the
>mud, just trying to see
>if there is an unwritten
>rule book for future hunts
>and how to avoid pissed
>off neighbors.

Wyomingites seem to love to hate on people from Utah. Yet they love to hunt elk here...... anyways not the point of my comment. The way I see it is, go hunting. Try and kill a buck. You most likely will be in someones way no matter what you do unless your an unreal distance away from any trail of any sort. If people want to plan with you they will make it known. If they want to be ass holes they will do that too. Ignore it and move on with your hunt. The mountains are far too great to let a couple sour puss "you scared our deer" hunters ruin it.

That is funny how the Wyoming locals seem to dislike Utah hunters. When I use to hunt Wyoming for deer. elk, and antelope, all I heard from the locals was this.

Those damn Texans, working in the gas fields, seem to think they own the land after being here for 6 months. they road hunt, drive pass no trespassing sign and ignore our game laws.

I heard that from ranchers, sales woman in the hardware store where we bought over the counter doe tags, and several other locals.

Seems those gas field Texans have gone back home and now it is the Utah hunter they rant about.

I asked the sales woman, while buying the over counter tags, how were the CA. hunters. she replied for the most part they liked the CA. hunters as we obeyed the game laws and trespass laws and spent our money and went home. I'm not sure if I need to take that comment with a little grain of salt.

RELH

No doubt a few bad apples. Most of the residents I know, and I know a few, don't mind the non residents.

Non residents are generally good revenue for the wildlife department. When I run into them I try to be cordial and let them know where I'm heading. If they want to plan on intercepting the bucks I may bump more power to them. I've ran into non residents that act like they own the mountain, that's what really chaps my a$$. It's our responsibility to put our best foot forward as hunters.

There will always be those who feel they own the spot. We have hunted Colorado for about the last 15 years for elk. There is a local who also hunts the same area we do but he only drives the roads and I've never seen him tag an animal while we have taken a lot of elk. He has reported us to Fish and Game and the Forest Service a couple of times for various "crimes", none of which were true. We just avoid him, although its satisfying to drive by his came with antlers sticking out of the back of our truck.

Next time make sure you have a University of Wyoming hat on, plus a big cowboy decal in the back window of your truck. Even if you're up high they'll see it coming in. Totally takes the heat off!!

>
>>and did he guess California?????? i'll
>>bet he did
>
>Utah is the new Kalifornia.

I thought Colorado is the new California. But all the good ole boys I know are moving to Idaho from ca. Nevada is pretty damn blue. I think we're all pretty screwed! I feel sorry for all you folks in the remaining red states getting run over.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-16 AT 08:37AM (MST)[p]I will have to move my "Monster Energy Drink" sticker first and do they make those hats in a flat brim?

"I'm just looking for justice, a bit of that tit for tat, and to do it with some style a classic sense of panache"

All I can say is that communication could have greatly solved everyone's problem, I think.

I had an experience where I located a nice buck that someone else was hunting. That individual cordially communicated with me his plans to hunt the deer. In addition he gave me some direction to possibly pursue other deer in the area. I was able to make an easy decision to not go after the mutual deer in question.

In the end, that individual was successful on the buck, and I couldn't have been happier for him. Because we communicated, I knew who he was, where he was coming from, and I made an ethical decision. I feel I have been rewarded for that choice.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

No written Rules!!! And you'll have D Bags in every state. I'm a Wyoming res and I met a guy from another state a few years back on the trail. I was 1st one to the top and the guy I'm talking about came up behind me while I was waiting for the sun so I could see. He walked up we introduced are selves and talked a little. He asked me what my plan was I told him and he said ok and told me he would go another way.Ran back into him on my way out to get help packing my 22" 160" buck out and he was retrieving a pack to pack out a high 180's 32" buck damn the luck lol. We shared pics and have been in constant contact ever since. Pretty Much depends on the person!

Just get ya some horses and don't worry about it. Always a good feeling to be coming up the trail in the dark with foot hunters walking ahead. Just ride on by and say good morning. It'll leave them guessing which direction yer going and they know yer getting there first.

> I Try & Get back
>in Beyond & Above all
>Deer & Assholes!
>
>On Rare occasion I will encounter
>the Later!
>
>If they wanna Discuss the Situation
>I Always give them 1st
>Choice as what & How
>they're gonna Hunt it &
>I'll go do something Different!
>
>
>I've Quit Telling them what I'm
>gonna do!
>
>I Found out the Hard way!
>
>
>If You do tell them They
>usually Think you 'know something'
>& They'll get right in
>the middle of you nearly
>every time!
>
>This is a WARNING for the
>LOWLIFE PRICKS here on the
>South Slope that have Built/Busted
>Illegal Wheeler Trails in to
>the Ballies the Last Couple
>Years!
>
>You Are LAZY LOWLIFE SCUM of
>the Earth that Have NO
>RESPECT for Anything!
>
>There's a Few Locals that Would
>Love to See You &
>Your QUADS back in where
>they don't belong!
>
>You'll Damn Sure Wish You had
>Run in to a Law
>Official before you Run in
>to these Guys!
>
>AMAZING HOW GAWD-DAMNED LAZY/STUPID THESE TARDS
>ARE!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>in My Future,Ya She's got
>a
>way with Words[/font]
>
>

10 bucks says it is locals blazing the new trails.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-16 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]I've found myself in many situations where I began to think I had a specific area to myself as the sun began to rise.
Only to find out others are in the area.

The decisions you make at that point will determine whether you're a d bag or not.
I've always tried to be as respectful as I can and be fair in any given situation.

Situation #1
I reached a ridge top in which I wanted to glass. There were a few basins below. I got there well before the same came up. As the sun came up, I noticed a couple hunters further up the ridge line from me. A few hundred yards.
As we glassed below, we all spotted bucks moving from the basin directly below them moving toward the basin that was directly below me.
I knew where those deer would bed due to the time I've spent in that area.

I knew those hunters would make a play and I knew they were in the area before myself. Although I could have undercut them and made a play on those bedded deer before them, I chose to allow them the first opportunity and set myself up to capitalize on their mistakes if they blew the deer out. I knew these other hunters would fail simply due to the wind. The deer ended up taking a different escape route and none of us got one.

Situation #2

I was only set on harvesting a mature buck and had seen a lot of smaller younger deer, A father and a son were camped near me and we had kept in communication each evening about what we each had been seeing. The father was trying to help his son find his son his first buck to harvest and wasn't seeing much.

I chose to help his son find a buck on the last day. Instead of looking for Mr big for me.
After the sun came up, I found his son a buck and we helped his son get his first buck down with a muzzleloader. A 4 point
Buck at 70 yards. I even helped field dress and pack that quartered deer back to the road.

Situation #3

Last year I put to bed a nice mature buck opening morning. I had hiked 2.5 miles up hill on a nonmotorized trail. Nearly 3000 feet climb. The basin was big and I thought I had the place to myself.
Just after the son came up and I watched that big Muley bed down at 400 yards away, I quickly came up with a plan to ambush him in his bed.

As I made my way toward the buck, I heard two motorcycles come up the trail and I watched every buck on that hillside take off to the other side of the basin. After exchanging words with the bikers, I decided to wait to see what the evening would bring.
Later that evening, here come the bikers again just as the deer were headed back toward me. Officially pushing the deer to the other side of the basin.
I ended up packing out and taking a different trail that put me above the deer across the basin.
Days later I ended up having multiple opportunities to harvest smaller bucks as close as 17 yards. However, the big one I was after would stay just outside of gun range at 300 yards. Which I didn't feel comfortable at that range with my muzzleloader.

Sometimes you just have to adapt.
But I refuse to let other hunters in an area get me down, even if they are d bags only looking out and thinking of themselves. It will never change my character.

Hunting to me is more than just filling a tag or antler length on a tape measure. For me it's about the experience. That experience is is usually a conscious decision made well before you choose to step foot on the mountain.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

Good reading here for a mud duck from Minnesota who has never been out west with a rifle in hand yet. I've been wondering about how to handle this exact situation as I'm planning on driving out to Idaho next season for mule deer.

It seems a little difficult coming from the perspective of a beginner from out of state to decide how to handle this without the luxury of scouting multiple valleys all summer. I've been very fortunate to have had a couple locals contact me via this board and give some tips on location and dates. As a result, I'm planning around 2 pretty specific areas, one in case I draw a particular suggested unit and one in the case that I don't.

I'm not one to step on toes, but I also believe in my equal right to fair chase on that public land. It seems that cordial communication is the best policy but if all else fails and you're dealing with a hostile person or party, I should keep a backup plan on standby.

I sure hope I don't run into any of these problems though. 1500 miles is a long way to drive to get pushed off the mountain.

Phill

Several years back I had a GW tell me if he pulled up to a trailhead and all the trailers had a Wyoming plate he just went to the next one until he found the horse trailers without a Wyoming plate he would then head in to check license and for wilderness violations. I Told him great next time, I would just stop at the truck stop and pick up a Wyoming plate or two.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Usually the Guys that act like D bags on the mountain and waste there time critiquing others hunting styles, racing others up the mountain to be there first, and avoid communication with others are the guys that don't have a clue. That's why they act the way they do, becuase they're afraid someone who knows what is going on might hammer the buck they have scouted all summer. The good hunters adapt to what's going on, don't waste time on things that are out of there control and get the most out of the hand they are delt. Hunting public land usually adds a whole other element to the hunt, and just adds that much more to the satisfaction of a successful hunt. Although much of the time it is just being in the right place at the right time. Those who bash hunters from other states whether it be Utah, California, wyoming, ect. Is also a tall tail sign of a less then average hunter. Most talk a big game, and sure any blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while, but few can consitently back that up.

I knew where there was two real nice 3X3 blacktails one year because I had bow hunted them. Opening day of rifle season I pulled my truck over on a wide spot in the road. I got out and started down the mountain and another truck pulled in right next to me. They jumped out and passed me on the trail. WTF?

So I went back to my truck and drove down the road a 1/4 mile, parked and headed over the hill.

Right at daylight, I spotted the two 3X3 bucks under some oaks. I was able to shoot both of them as they were looking in the direction of the other two hunters. Thanks guys!

Luck plays a part too. You never know.

>I knew where there was two
>real nice 3X3 blacktails one
>year because I had bow
>hunted them. Opening day of
>rifle season I pulled my
>truck over on a wide
>spot in the road. I
>got out and started down
>the mountain and another truck
>pulled in right next to
>me. They jumped out and
>passed me on the trail.
>WTF?
>
>So I went back to my
>truck and drove down the
>road a 1/4 mile, parked
>and headed over the hill.
>
>
>Right at daylight, I spotted the
>two 3X3 bucks under some
>oaks. I was able to
>shoot both of them as
>they were looking in the
>direction of the other two
>hunters. Thanks guys!
>
>Luck plays a part too. You
>never know.

Just How Many Bucks will You Shoot in one Stand Eel?:D

way with Words[/font]

Hey Deepcolor,
I've had the same thing happen to me too. I even had the guys threaten me.
I believe it comes from them being frustrated that they couldn't get the job done and somebody needed to be blamed.
When talking to them, they will try to make you out as the bad guy and they are doing it right and your wrong.(Bullies)
But you can ask about any other hunter around and over 90% will tell you they are the ones in the wrong.
Keep hunting the way you like to hunt and just try to work around those type of guys in the future.
Hopefully karma will be on your side, it has for me.

Deep color I absolutely resonate with your story, but if you flip the coin over these guys are telling the story as if you're the d bag in the high country. Just saying.

>
>Hey Deepcolor,
>I've had the same thing happen
>to me too. I even
>had the guys threaten me.
>
>I believe it comes from them
>being frustrated that they couldn't
>get the job done and
>somebody needed to be blamed.
>
>When talking to them, they will
>try to make you out
>as the bad guy and
>they are doing it right
>and your wrong.(Bullies)
>But you can ask about any
>other hunter around and over
>90% will tell you they
>are the ones in the
>wrong.
>Keep hunting the way you like
>to hunt and just try
>to work around those type
>of guys in the future.
>
>Hopefully karma will be on your
>side, it has for me.
>

Wow! Pulling out the karma card. Besides karma being complete BS, it's all a matter of personal perspective anyhow. Great people dying and suffering from cancer etc. everyday. If you believe in karma you're a fool. From where I stand, cutthroat, disrespectful hunters would never kill another good buck in their lives if karma was real. I think you know what I'm getting at Koby... Just curious how many different occasions have you been threatened on? I would bet much more than 1.

>>
>>Hey Deepcolor,
>>I've had the same thing happen
>>to me too. I even
>>had the guys threaten me.
>>
>>I believe it comes from them
>>being frustrated that they couldn't
>>get the job done and
>>somebody needed to be blamed.
>>
>>When talking to them, they will
>>try to make you out
>>as the bad guy and
>>they are doing it right
>>and your wrong.(Bullies)
>>But you can ask about any
>>other hunter around and over
>>90% will tell you they
>>are the ones in the
>>wrong.
>>Keep hunting the way you like
>>to hunt and just try
>>to work around those type
>>of guys in the future.
>>
>>Hopefully karma will be on your
>>side, it has for me.
>>
>
>
>Wow! Pulling out the karma card.
>Besides karma being complete BS,
>it's all a matter of
>personal perspective anyhow. Great people
>dying and suffering from cancer
>etc. everyday. If you believe
>in karma you're a fool.
>From where I stand, cutthroat,
>disrespectful hunters would never kill
>another good buck in their
>lives if karma was real.
>I think you know what
>I'm getting at Koby... Just
>curious how many different occasions
>have you been threatened on?
>I would bet much more
>than 1.

Ok, forget the karma then.
Deepcolor, I hope you get as lucky as I have been in the past and thing work out for you.
Like I said, you probably won't be able to reason with those guys.

Jayray, don't make this thread personal. To answer your question, I have only been threatened over hunting a certain canyon and specific bucks only once in my life and that was two years ago.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-16 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]>Do you own the basin if
>you are a resident?
>Do you own the trail if
>you camp within 10 feet
>of it?
>How do you assume or guess
>what other hunters are
>going to do?
>
>Am I missing something or are
>these guys just D bags?

We are dealing with the same thing right here in Montana in a general elk unit. These punk kid locals talk to me like I'm some ignorant greenhorn. Telling me the elk are across the road bedding on south facing slopes, etc, etc, etc......ya ok. I'm 58 and have heard every BS story in the book twelve times over. Staking their claims to federal public land I was paying taxes on since their mommas were changing their diapers. It's the same for us when we hunt our Illinois public. The property I hunt is over 50% nonresidents mostly from Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Tennessee & Michigan. But I don't act like I own anything despite it being state land in a state with the highest taxes in the US.

Unfortunately, despite being social and wanting to be polite, I've found the best policy is to simply avoid other hunters and do not talk to them. If you do, nothing good will come from it. Only bad. Over 50% will try to stake a claim. After getting everything ripped off from me in a one sided divorce, I don't want to hear about it. I have zero tolerance for having anything else stolen from me. I've had a serious confrontation in the past, and will be packing my Glock 21 with me for the rest of this hunt, if legal. I was told it was, but I'm checking the regulations today.

Greenhorns educate yourselves. Wherever SFW goes, scandals and corruption follow. Write your legislators:

http://kutv.com/news/local/allegations-of-corruption-surround-utah-hungtin-and-conservation-expo

https://www.cascwild.org/don-peay-the-man-who-would-be-king-baron/

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs...ares-north-american-hunting-model-“socialism”

http://www.standard.net/Recreation/...16-Western-Hunting-and-Conservation-Expo.html

http://www.mtbullypulpit.org/2012/06/pox-on-fox.html

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2013...on-essentially-buy-utah-division-of-wildlife/

http://westernvaluesproject.org/tax...hunting-energy-industry-over-hunters-anglers/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/u...-but-hunters-cry-foul.html?smid=pl-share&_r=2

http://www.themudflats.net/archives/25891

http://www.sltrib.com/news/4054427-155/rolly-lawyers-criticism-of-herbert-leads

Just hunt. I try to avoid other hunters, not that I've ever had a problem with them. If someone has a complaint, they are welcome to call the sheriff, if they think they have a valid claim.

I like solitude anyway, so quit hunting the open areas.

>
>Jayray, don't make this thread personal.
>To answer your question, I
>have only been threatened over
>hunting a certain canyon and
>specific bucks only once in
>my life and that was
>two years ago.

Don't tell me about not making it personal. You made it personal with your original comment. I would love nothing more than to make a post on this website informing everyone on here explaining your WHOLE story beginning with your sheep hunt, then see what way your "90%" would sway. I don't have time to write something that long though.

"Couldn't get the job done", that's hilarious! I might not have the best memory ever, but I recall putting my tag on a 34" buck the first time you and your cutthroat buddies tried to screw me, trampling all over the damn place, blowing deer out. So who was it not getting the job done? Funny part is it was something like 5 or 6 versus one. Shows real quick who the first timers to the area were and who knew exactly where the deer would be at first light.

But you know what, I gotta give you a pat on the back. In the end, all your good "karma" helped you to really bury the knife in my back. You killed your 200 inch buck, right under my nose, in the exact same spot I originally told you Corbys buck lived in. A buck that I passed on numerous times and let grow for 4 years and spent countless hours watching. I learned another valuable lesson this year thanks to you: I'll never let a good buck walk again in hopes of getting a crack at him next year.

Oh, also, don't ever go running your trap around town again about me doing something as childish as rolling rocks down the mountain at you.

>
>>
>>Jayray, don't make this thread personal.
>>To answer your question, I
>>have only been threatened over
>>hunting a certain canyon and
>>specific bucks only once in
>>my life and that was
>>two years ago.
>
>
>Don't tell me about not making
>it personal. You made it
>personal with your original comment.
>I would love nothing more
>than to make a post
>on this website informing everyone
>on here explaining your WHOLE
>story beginning with your sheep
>hunt, then see what way
>your "90%" would sway. I
>don't have time to write
>something that long though.
>
>"Couldn't get the job done", that's
>hilarious! I might not have
>the best memory ever, but
>I recall putting my tag
>on a 34" buck the
>first time you and your
>cutthroat buddies tried to screw
>me, trampling all over the
>damn place, blowing deer out.
>So who was it not
>getting the job done? Funny
>part is it was something
>like 5 or 6 versus
>one. Shows real quick who
>the first timers to the
>area were and who knew
>exactly where the deer would
>be at first light.
>
>But you know what, I gotta
>give you a pat on
>the back. In the end,
>all your good "karma" helped
>you to really bury the
>knife in my back. You
>killed your 200 inch buck,
>right under my nose, in
>the exact same spot I
>originally told you Corbys buck
>lived in. A buck that
>I passed on numerous times
>and let grow for 4
>years and spent countless hours
>watching. I learned another valuable
>lesson this year thanks to
>you: I'll never let a
>good buck walk again in
>hopes of getting a crack
>at him next year.
>
>Oh, also, don't ever go running
>your trap around town again
>about me doing something as
>childish as rolling rocks down
>the mountain at you.

wow....lol

>> I Try & Get back
>>in Beyond & Above all
>>Deer & Assholes!
>>
>>On Rare occasion I will encounter
>>the Later!
>>
>>If they wanna Discuss the Situation
>>I Always give them 1st
>>Choice as what & How
>>they're gonna Hunt it &
>>I'll go do something Different!
>>
>>
>>I've Quit Telling them what I'm
>>gonna do!
>>
>>I Found out the Hard way!
>>
>>
>>If You do tell them They
>>usually Think you 'know something'
>>& They'll get right in
>>the middle of you nearly
>>every time!
>>
>>This is a WARNING for the
>>LOWLIFE PRICKS here on the
>>South Slope that have Built/Busted
>>Illegal Wheeler Trails in to
>>the Ballies the Last Couple
>>Years!
>>
>>You Are LAZY LOWLIFE SCUM of
>>the Earth that Have NO
>>RESPECT for Anything!
>>
>>There's a Few Locals that Would
>>Love to See You &
>>Your QUADS back in where
>>they don't belong!
>>
>>You'll Damn Sure Wish You had
>>Run in to a Law
>>Official before you Run in
>>to these Guys!
>>
>>AMAZING HOW GAWD-DAMNED LAZY/STUPID THESE TARDS
>>ARE!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>>in My Future,Ya She's got
>>a
>>way with Words[/font]
>>
>>
>
>10 bucks says it is locals
>blazing the new trails.

A LAZY BASTARD IS A LAZY BASTARD & I DON'T CARE WHERE HE'S FROM!

way with Words[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-16 AT 07:08PM (MST)[p]This escalated quickly. Lmfao what gives ridgetops?
hornkiller.jpg

Homer, WOW is right.

Deepcolor, I didn't mean to highjack your post.
Sorry about that but it does really show you how these guys just can't be reasoned with.
Jray is talking about hearsay from a 3rd party and calling it fact. When in fact the stories are lies and misinformed info.

I personally haven't done anything unethical or cutthroat to Jray. I've only supported my friends decision to hunt the same buck in 2013 that Jray claims he was letting live year after year and that really pissed him off.
It's the same buck that I killed last year, which I'm sure disappointed Jray.
I only hunted the area one day in 2014, which was day 7 of the rifle hunt and that was only to try and help my friends out that wanted to check out the area again.
It was the least I could do to help these friends that had spent several days helping me look for a once in a lifetime buck I was after in a different area.
I had no plans of hunting the area in 2015 until a friend of mine had seen a big non-typical on the archery hunt and had walked by the spot where Jray had a backcountry camp stashed and all the stuff was gone.
We figured Jray had left the area for good.
So on day 4 of the 2015 rifle hunt, I decided to help my friend go look for that non-typical again. Since we hadn't heard of anyone killing a buck of that size in the area.
My friend went high up canyon and I was going to push the canyon from below. I ended up seeing the buck bedded at first light and ended up killing it.

There's not always next year

>Homer, WOW is right.
>
>Deepcolor, I didn't mean to highjack
>your post.
>Sorry about that but it does
>really show you how these
>guys just can't be reasoned
>with.
> Jray is talking about
>hearsay from a 3rd party
>and calling it fact. When
>in fact the stories are
>lies and misinformed info.
>
>I personally haven't done anything unethical
>or cutthroat to Jray. I've
>only supported my friends decision
>to hunt the same buck
>in 2013 that Jray claims
>he was letting live year
>after year and that really
>pissed him off.
>It's the same buck that I
>killed last year, which I'm
>sure disappointed Jray.
>I only hunted the area one
>day in 2014, which was
>day 7 of the rifle
>hunt and that was only
>to try and help my
>friends out that wanted to
>check out the area again.
>
>It was the least I could
>do to help these friends
>that had spent several days
>helping me look for a
>once in a lifetime buck
>I was after in a
>different area.
>I had no plans of hunting
>the area in 2015 until
>a friend of mine had
>seen a big non-typical on
>the archery hunt and had
>walked by the spot where
>Jray had a backcountry camp
>stashed and all the stuff
>was gone.
>We figured Jray had left the
>area for good.
>So on day 4 of the
>2015 rifle hunt, I decided
>to help my friend go
>look for that non-typical again.
>Since we hadn't heard of
>anyone killing a buck of
>that size in the area.
>
>My friend went high up canyon
>and I was going to
>push the canyon from below.
>I ended up seeing the
>buck bedded at first light
>and ended up killing it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>There's not always next year

Please tell me what third party you're talking about?

While I was caping out my buck, I heard a rock rolling down canyon. Then about 15-20 minutes later another big rock came crashing down the mountain about 100 yards away. At that point I yelled "someone's down here".
I never heard another rock roll after that, I'm guessing it was someone trying to push deer out from under them.
Anyway, while hiking out. I saw 8 other hunters in this same general area, including 2 guys where I had last heard the rock rolling. Three of the hunters meet me at my ATV and told me that they were specifically looking for the same buck I had just killed and had seen it just a couple days earlier in the same general area. Come to find out, the guys knew my friend Corby and the history of him and Jray.
I told the guys that I had a close call with someone rolling rocks down into the canyon I was in while taking care of my buck but I didn't think it was intentional.
The other hunter commented that maybe it was Jray and his partner trying to get back at me for killing their buck. I jokingly said "maybe so" but never gave it another thought.
A few weeks later Jray texts my friend and wants to know what's up with us saying him and his buddy were rolled rocks down on Koby.
My friend assured Jray we had said no such thing.
I personally found that very disturbing and tried to set the record straight.
The only "trap running" I did was to quickly get on the phone with a few locals and find out what they were hearing about me having rocks rolled on. They hadn't heard anything and I asked them to please set the story straight if they did hear something like that.
Those are a few of the facts that needed to be set straight.

3rd party?
Whoever this mystery person is that's saying stuff about my group of friends from back in 2010.
I still have no clue what you or him is even referring to.
We never saw anyone during the rifle hunt and there was about 20 other guys hunting the same area as us during the muzzy hunt.

G and H are both a zoo. Too many tags. Either go farther than most or prepare to deal with crowds.

Deepcolor...reading through your post there may or not be anything you could have done differently. As far as unwritten rules when out enjoying the outdoors, here are a few...
1) say your out fly fishing a stream and see a guy catching a bunch of fish...do you go fish beside him or keep walking to a different spot where neither of you can see each other? In this example the correct answer is keep walking. The stream miles/fisherman is high enough that you keep walking to an unoccupied spot. This may equate to less fish or more.

2) The fishing is great in a spillway below a reservoir. The regulations say to use artificial flies and lures only plus you can only keep three fish. Using about any fly yields 5 to 10 rainbows per hour in the 15" -24" range. If a fly yields 5-10 bows per hour just think what a worm could do? Better yet a big a$$ net! Hide the cooler in the willows and start dipping the your net in, after all the net is artificial! Load the cooler up, go tell all you buddies back home and bring them back the next weekend, and the next and the next... In this case, just use your fly rod or spinner and practice catch and release. Also remember rule 1 and if you see someone doing the worm, net, exceeding bag limits...call them in for poaching.

3) say you are driving up the 2 track road heading to camp and a big deer jumps out in front of your truck. The deer jumps over a fence right next to the no trespassing sign. Do you let the deer go because the property is closed to hunting or do you ... Park your truck in the 2 track so no one can get around you, have your buddy grab his video camera, jump over the fense, shoot the deer. When the deer drops to the ground, you scream with excitement such that anyone within 2 miles can hear you, make snow angels with you cameraman buddy, chest pump each other a few more times, yell louder, chest bump some more, then go start trying to find your 22" monster mulie? In the example, you don't break the law and let the deer go. Let's say trespass was not part of this story. The correct answer would be to pull off the road so others can get by you and then go shot your buck (but like most sports, excessive celebration is unsportsmanlike conduct, so keep snow angels to a minimum)

4) say you draw a cow moose tag...a dandy is right next to some guys wall tent. Do you shoot her? The correct answer would be don't shoot as you may hit someone in the tent. In this case fortunately, no one was at camp. The hunter properly tagged, cleaned, transported his "moose" to town. When he made it to town he was very proud to show everyone his beautiful moose (mule) he had in his truck. Also make sure you can properly identify the animal you are hunting.

The list of stories goes on. While profiling is bad, examples 1-3 all had Utah license plates. The dead mule was a California truck a few decades ago. At the end of the day just treat others as you would want to be treated and you will be fine. One perspective that is hard for nonresidents of Wyoming to grasp is the population density is low in Wyoming. That is one thing Wyoming residents value is being able to get to places were you only see one or two other people. If you bump into another hunter, first one ther gets first dibs and give each other room.

This thread and my reply make it sound like a resident/nonresident issue. As a Wyoming resident I can assure you that it does not matter what state you are from, encroachment upon ones space is the unwritten rule. Just as many residents get called out on it as nonresidents. One poster said "they think they own it". That is not the case...just respect each other's space. If you can talk out a plan, even better.

AHHHHHHHHHH!

The Dreaded KALI 'MULE' Deer Story!:D

way with Words[/font]

> AHHHHHHHHHH!
>
>The Dreaded KALI 'MULE' Deer Story!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>in My Future,Ya She's got
>a
>way with Words[/font]
>

Yes, I'm sure the mule story has been told around many a campfire.

There's always next year

>> AHHHHHHHHHH!
>>
>>The Dreaded KALI 'MULE' Deer Story!:D
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U.
>>in My Future,Ya She's got
>>a
>>way with Words[/font]
>>
>
>Yes, I'm sure the mule story
>has been told around many
>a campfire.
>
>
>There's always next year

I'm Still Wondering if that KALI Hunter was CUPSY or Eel?:D:D:D

I Never did Hear an Official Score on it?:D

way with Words[/font]

Guys, the big beef Jray has with me lies within his post #4.
He's upset that we blew the bucks out of the canyon before his hunting partner could hunt the area two days later during the 2013 rifle hunt.
He claims we never set foot on the mountain before that opening day.
In fact we had spent several days up there on the 2013 archery hunt, the first three days of the 2013 muzzy hunt were spent within a few hundred yards of where Jray killed that 34" buck.
In 2013, one week before the rifle opener, my friends found and video taped my 2015 buck for the first time, within 100 yards of where I killed it.
In 2012, I spent several days scouting and hunting during the muzzy and rifle hunt in the same area.
I first hunted it in 2009.
So I in no way was I a first timer to the area but Jray flat out doesn't believe me in any way, shape or form.
Since he never personally never saw any of us up there on the mountain, well then we must of never been there.
Those are the facts.
I've tried so hard to work with Jray over this whole hunting the same area with no results or compromise from him at all.
Anyway, I'm done trying to work things out with him.
I actually almost sent him an email about a month ago. Asking if he had any regrets with the way him and his partner handled the situation a couple years ago and threatening us, if they ever saw us in "their" canyon again. Well, I guess not.

I think a lot of this is "my spot". I hunt the same area year after year. Most of the other camps do as well. I know where they are going, especially first morning, they know where i'm going. Its not "my spot", but because I have hunted it continually it makes for better neighbors. So a lot of this issue comes from the guys who do the same, year in year out, then here comes some dude(usually from california) in his 2 wheel drive truck(are there no 4x4 in cali), 20 min after first light, tromping not around the trails and edges, but right up through the middle. Always coughing and wheezing cuz hes from sea level. They make a straight line for you, they wanna chat, usually the same question, "where does this go?" Then they top it with I read....... on some internet site or magazine that this is the place to be.
I'm not a local in my area, my family is from there, but I'm not. However, years of time put in have helped. A lot of the issue is from the guys who don't have a home, this year its this hot spot, next year its this one, etc, and so on. You can go through the forums now and there are tons of, "never been there", or "looking for help". We all get it with LE tags, but there are just as many, "need help on North Slope Uinta", or "where to go on the Manti" posts.
Of course these guys got bent, they most likely grew up hunting that same place, watch it year round, were there on the shizzy years, snowy years, good years, etc. Then here comes some guys with "greatest snow on earth" plates, who don't have that same connection to the area. Yeah its public, and yeah you don't need to be a #####, but its understandable that they ain't gonna be super excited to have the company.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

>Guys, the big beef Jray has
>with me lies within his
>post #4.
>He's upset that we blew the
>bucks out of the canyon
>before his hunting partner could
>hunt the area two days
>later during the 2013 rifle
>hunt.
>He claims we never set foot
>on the mountain before that
>opening day.
>In fact we had spent several
>days up there on the
>2013 archery hunt, the first
>three days of the 2013
>muzzy hunt were spent within
>a few hundred yards of
>where Jray killed that 34"
>buck.
>In 2013, one week before the
>rifle opener, my friends found
>and video taped my 2015
>buck for the first time,
>within 100 yards of where
>I killed it.
>In 2012, I spent several days
>scouting and hunting during the
>muzzy and rifle hunt in
>the same area.
>I first hunted it in 2009.
>
>So I in no way was
>I a first timer to
>the area but Jray flat
>out doesn't believe me in
>any way, shape or form.
>
>Since he never personally never saw
>any of us up there
>on the mountain, well then
>we must of never been
>there.
>Those are the facts.
>I've tried so hard to work
>with Jray over this whole
>hunting the same area with
>no results or compromise from
>him at all.
>Anyway, I'm done trying to work
>things out with him.
>I actually almost sent him an
>email about a month ago.
>Asking if he had any
>regrets with the way him
>and his partner handled the
>situation a couple years ago
>and threatening us, if
>they ever saw us in
>"their" canyon again. Well, I
>guess not.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>There's not always next year

You love to leave out crucial facts. Either that or your personal character is just so far off from mine that I don't think you (or your buddies) see any issues with things that I find major problems with, and I believe that is the case.

You have not mentioned once that your good friend Corby, got on this site a couple years ago after killing an already wounded, once in a lifetime 226 inch buck asking for answers and that I came forward, as heart breaking as it was for me already to lose a buck like that, I thought I would be nice and share pics and info of the buck. I shared WAAAAAY too much info with yourself and Corby originally thinking that the buck had to be killed in the same area with how he was wounded, not 5+ miles away! Corby quickly told me it was killed a long ways from me but still to this day, none of you shady guys were ever even decent enough to tell me where it was killed and if you did I wouldn't trust you now anyway! The only reason I opened up as much as I did to you guys is because you 2 seemed like good, honest, respectful hunters. Not saying your not good guys off the mountain, but I wouldn't trust you guys as far as I could throw you on the mountain.

So after sharing all the info, I certainly didn't expect the following year, the night before the opener, to see your huge group come up on the mountain a little before sundown and camp 500 yards directly across from me! I glassed you guys through the spotter and was 99% sure it was you as much as I didn't want to believe it. You can say you hunted that spot a bunch before but years of boot tracks don't lie! In this case, there wasn't any, or at least I never seen any! With a hunting party like that I would think I surely would've seen something, no? I believe you hunted the extremely easily accessible area nearby and your lumping the area into a whole.

So opening morning I know that you guys have now royally screwed over any chance of me getting something in that area so I moved to plan B which is a nice little hidden vantage point I've liked to use to glass from that also makes a great place to shoot from as well. So long story short, at first light I shot a great buck from the vantage point. I get over to the buck, you and a couple of your buddies come walking up on me. My hunch was then confirmed that it was the guys I thought I could trust. I was excited about the buck and didn't show any anger with you guys but deep down was very disappointed. My disappointment peaked when I seen that the other half of your party had now followed my tracks through the snow to go sit at the very same vantage point I had just shot my buck from. You guys were nice enough to snap some pics for me and even had someone stop by my camp and throw my solar panel in my tent for me. For that I'm grateful and it caused me to have very mixed judgements of you guys.

Had it all ended on that note, I may have been okay with you guys, but around Christmas time, you send me an email to clear the air stating that you guys intended on moving into that area before you learned that both I hunted there and that it was where Corby's buck lived. That made my blood boil. It was proof you hadn't hunted there before and that you guys clearly had zero respect for me after I had been kind enough to share so much. I told my good friend and hunting partner and he was more pissed than I was as well as my lifelong hunting partner, my dad. Apparently they have the same respect for fellow hunters that I have, unlike your party.

I have a couple examples to show how different our opinions are on respect for other hunters and the "unwritten code" I've mentioned to you multiple times:

1. I'm pretty troubled by your comment about your buddy going up to check on my camp to know if I was still hunting there. I guarantee it was Tom since he sent me an awkward message asking me if I had a tag or not. I told him yes and he told me to beware of rattlesnakes in the area as if I was the newcomer to the area and didn't already know that there's a ##### ton of rattlers! Was this his chickenshit way of telling me he was hunting there again instead of asking if I was still hunting there? Fact is I moved my camp because some dirtbag decided to rummage through it.

2. You said the least you could do was help your buddy (which I guarantee is Tom again) since he helped you try to find a once in a lifetime buck for much of the hunt. Funny part to me is, instead of helping, you find the buck bedded at first light and shoot it! If my friend had scouted a buck of that caliber, no way I would shoot it, especially after he just spent days helping me try to find a big buck. I would keep an eye on it, get ahold of him and tell him to come shoot it. Back out and come back later if I had to. A weird little fact about that Tuesday you killed your buck was that I came off the mountain Monday night helping my dad with his buck and Tuesday was the only day I was not on the mountain. Suspicious? Damn sure is to me.

3. I had a friend tell me just the other day that we should go checkout a certain area sometime. I told him that I think so and so hunts over that way. He said, "well they would probably do it to you". I told my buddy, "Ya maybe, but I'm not like that". END OF CONVERSATION!! But see, nobody in your group has a backbone or any respect for other hunters that you know work their ass off to hunt a specific area. When I was having heated discussions with your buddy Corby about the whole deal after your BS email he said, "what do you expect me to tell my buddies that because Jayray hunts there, they can't?". See, that's the difference, the guys I associate myself with wouldn't have to be told. Once again, UNWRITTEN RULE!! If you view someone as a friend or have respect for them, you don't hunt on top of them. I just don't understand how that's so hard for you cutthroat guys to grasp. But that's right, according to you, 90% of people that know "your story" agree that I'm the #####.

I hate when someone gets lucky in a new area, then brings an army in the next year.... Hate that. We as hunters just need to adapt and change on the fly. I also dont like sportsman fighting, but that's just what happens. Good luck to all.

WOW Jason, tell us how you really feel!
So many things you said are just not true.
I have some of the best hunting partners a guy could ask for.
We spend most of our scouting time split up, looking in different areas and after a few good bucks are found, then we come together and hunt those bucks more as a group. I know it's not your thing but it works for us. We all have an understanding that whoever has a chance at a great buck(no matter who may have found it first), they need to take it because there's rarely another chance.
Tom was very happy for me and has never felt slighted at all.
I don't know why you felt the need to bring them into all this?
I heard that you can be a little paranoid and high strung, that might be an understatement. haha
Just about everyone I've talked to in that area, always points up to the area Corby killed his buck and tells me about how a huge non-typical was killed up there a few years ago by a guy from Salt Lake. I surely thought you would have known that too.
I don't ever remember you asking me where his buck was killed. I would have openly shared any info. that you guys wanted to know but that was before you guys had to start acting like ASSHOLES!
I guess we can continue to disagree on what is proper hunter ethics.
I have always tried to be courteous around other hunters in the way I feel what is proper.
Even if we knew you were hunting or had hunted somewhere in that area, we still had no idea where you were camped and where you would be sitting on any given day.
I don't know if I will ever hunt in "your" canyon again but if I do, I'll try my best to be a better sportsman.
That includes any of you readers that I may run across on the mountain.
I know I've made dozens of new friends up on the mountain over the years and so far, only two not so friendly's.

Deepcolor,
I sure hope you never have to go through something like what I have with Jray.
Your better off just avoiding those guys if they don't want to work with you.

First of all, I don't go around asking everyone and their dog where so and so killed what because frankly, I don't give 2 shits. I would have just liked to know how far the once in a lifetime buck I watched all year and wounded had traveled before being killed, since I worked my ass off to find him and lost a ton of sleep over it.

As far as getting along with others on the mountain it goes both ways Koby. I've ran into many people over the years and have never had issues with anyone but your group. The common thing with all those other people though is that prior to running into them on the hill, I didn't courteously share pics and critical info with them thinking we had a sort of friendship. As I've stated a dozen times already, had I known how you guys were, I would've never shared any pics or info with Corby in the first place. Although we may not have been "friends", I'm a small town guy that was raised to treat others how you would want to be treated. I was naive and so I never expected your group of buddies to move in on top of me after sharing what I did and even going to Corby's to see the buck in person. Stupid me for sure.

With how secretive you and your buddies are, I'm sure you would be real happy with me if you told me where the big buck you're after was living, and then myself and 4 or 5 buddies are sitting in the same area opening morning. That would be perfectly fine according to your ethics right?

Ridgetop: aka "wolf pack member"

I am Jray's hunting buddy and you are completely full of B.S.

Your Scenario is completely different from the original hunter that created this topic. I can't believe you try to play an innocent victim of some local dbag hunters in your original post. The guy that started this thread was an out of state hunter in a new area, had the ambition/drive to hike into the high country to hunt and happen to run into a couple of dinks. I see this topic from both angles. The two guys had probably been scouting some good bucks for months or possibly multiple years and put in a ton of miles, sweat and time scouting. Then hunters that either didn't know or scout the area and/or were from out of town hiked into the canyon and probably blew out some big bucks not knowing the deer bedding, feeding, watering habits. I can see how they were probably frustrated at the time and probably didn't act decent. This same type of scenario has happened to me more times than I can remember but a reasonable person realizes that they are hunting public ground and if someone has the ambition to hunt the high country we all need to understand they didn't show up there in this scenario to purposely screw up your hunt or invade an area you have hunted for many years. Most likely they had no clue there were other hunters there until they pass their camp along the trail or run into them somewhere. On the other hand, the out of town hunter has found a new area that looks like good deer country and has every right to go scout and hunt the deer in the area but hopefully once he runs into the guys hunting and realizes they are in a certain canyon or draw he has enough respect to move on to the next canyon and let those hunters pursue the deer they have been scouting. It is a big world out there and there are pretty much good bucks in just about every remote area in our Western states and most canyons in those areas have similar type deer.

Now, to our little scenario just to put the record strait for your mm buddies to decide who the real dbags are.

There are people/hunters in the world that are passive aggressive and then there are just strait forward guys. I personally believe you, Korby, and possibly the rest of your wolf pack are the former rather than the later of the two. In 2012 Jray scouted and sat on a 226" buck until the opening day of the muzzy. His scope got knocked off somehow on the trip up and was shooting roughly 2ft right at 150 yds. Not knowing this he wounded the buck in the left hind quarter. We found the buck with his bachelor herd 3 days later and then never saw the buck again. Your wolf pack member Korby found the buck 5 miles north (supposedly) the last half of the last day of the rifle hunt and killed him. My opinion is that it was complete luck on Korby's part and I'd imagine the deer was full of infection and not moving much by then, but that is hunting and everyone deserves some luck on occassion. After the hunt Jray noticed Korby's post on this site asking if anyone had info on the buck due to the fact he had been shot previously. This was a once in a lifetime deer on any general or draw unit and Jray had felt horrible for over a month after wounding the buck. Jray contacted your wolf pack buddy and offered live pics and a back story on the deer. He was actually happy that the buck had been harvested instead of dying that winter and to my knowledge never had any bad feelings towards Korby (or at least not until the opening weekend the following year when the wolf pack camped right on top of us). Jray even took my 194" and his 190" bucks that we killed that same year to Korby's house to show him our bucks and also see the 226 buck that Korby ended up killing. I remember Jray telling me he thought Korby was a good guy. Apparently during their conversation that day Jray had assumed, due to the injured buck, that Korby had harvested him somewhere close to the location where he had been living all year. I'm not sure if Jray spoke with you as well?

This is where the passive aggressive nature of your wolf pack starts. I even remember Jray telling me that Korby didn't seem like the type of guy that would move to our hunting spot(now that he knew where we hunted) and camp/hunt on top of us. Well, ding ding ding. Opening weekend the following year Korby and the wolf pack showed up and camped directly across from our camp right in the middle of the deer. Its apparent they hadn't scouted the area or at least not more than one weekend because they literally camped within 100 yards of where the 200" class double hook cheater buck that I had been scouting all year fed out every a.m. and some evenings along with numerous other good bucks that lived in the area. Opening morning your wolf pack literally ran the ridges and blew out every buck in that area. We have never seen the hook cheater buck that year or any year since. This is what happens when you unknowingly camp on top of a 200" buck, they just simply find a new place to live and never come back.

I'll guarantee this is the first time that Ridgetops and his pack saw his 2015 buck (we called that buck JR. since 2012) in person as he was running full tilt out of the canyon from being blown out by five or six guys running around like idiots on the ridgetops. Pun intended and I guess it fits your mm name.

BTW, your welcome that Jray and I held off numerous times each year from killing your 2015 buck. In 2012 through 2014 he just wasn't big enough to kill with the potential he had if given time to mature. In 2013 & 2014 his frame was around 30" with long double cheaters and trash on his back end but had weak front forks and no mass. We knew by 2015 he would push over 200" and 35" outside spread so we let him live every year until then. I guess you should also thank your wolf pack buddy Korby for putting the screws to Jray and taking your entire pack and camping/hunting right on top of us. I assume the reason JR disappeared the week before the 2015 hunt is because your pack probably blew him out the same way you did that first year. Never the less, we hold no hard feelings against a hunter that ends up killing a buck we have been scouting and hope to eventually harvest, BUT the part that really chaps a guys ass is when a passive aggressive dbag like your wolf pack buddy and from what I hear you aren't much different, acts all chum chum with a guy in the Jray scenario above with the ultimate intention of moving right in on top of the guys hunting spot and completely screwing up all the hard work and patients put into killing big deer every year. If you guys would have just stumbled on to the area by chance or some other reasonable way then you would not have heard a peep from either of us, but when you act passive and buddy buddy like to Jray and then act aggressive with your actions (i.e. camp almost on top of us the following year 5 miles South of your usually hunting area (not a coincidence ?) then how do you expect people to act???? sometimes enough is enough and people like your group need it strait and blunt because you obviously don't have any respect for other hunters on the hill and kind suggestions just bounce off your ears.

BTW, I know one other hunter that eventually just packed up and left an area he had been hunting for years on the North part of the range because before you moved in on us your wolf pack did the same thing to him and he finally just gave up on hoping you guys would just move on. I also know another hunter that shot a buck in a North canyon and let it bed, then he watched your group walk strait up the canyon directly at the buck after watching him shoot it and push the buck completely out of the canyon trying to get a shot at it. These are just a few examples of the reputation your pack has with other hunters on the range. So you tell me how you would act towards a group of guys with this much disrespect for every other hunter on the hill? Maybe its just stupidity from you guys growing up in the city and hunting high pressure areas like Strawberry Ridge or Soap Stone with a million hunters shooting at forky bucks. BUT, I think that may pass as an excuse for the first year or two, its probably been 8+ years your pack has been running this range now and maybe its time for you to realize there are big bucks in every canyon and plenty of space for all the guys that hunt the range (it just takes scouting to find them, not screwing a guy over that had good intentions by sharing a backstory on a monster buck one of you lucked into killing. There are 15-20 canyons on each side of the range. Its not very difficult to find areas to hunt with large bucks while still giving other hunters space. I'm not talking about the opening weekend warriors that hunt two days and then they are done for the year because there is no rhyme or reason to what they do. I'm talking about the groups that scout all year and hunt the whole week. Its not difficult to get an idea of those areas/groups and not camp/hunt right on their front door.

This is the last time I'm going to write about this topic or even think about your Wolf Pack, but hopefully you actually read this post and realize hunting an area like that range is different and always will be different from the high traffic areas the opening weekend warriors hunt. You don't have to keep hunting and acting like there are 10 hunters on each ridge and one forky for everyone to shoot at. Its not a race or competition, just have some respect for other groups and don't do the passive aggressive b.s. that your buddy Korby has obviously been a big part of creating these past few years. I know this post is very long and blunt but is written with hopes that some of this will actually sink in with your wolf pack because the time I spent writing this is nothing compared to the endless hiking and scouting hours we spend on the hill that have been completely wasted each year since Korby brought your wolf pack to our living room a few years ago. If you all would have found the area in a different situation we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Good Luck out there,

I guess one last post after reading this b.s.

Deepcolor,

what Ridgetops really means by his last few sentences in the post is that his wolf pack's idea of working with other hunters is the other group not saying anything when they run the guys out of their hunting area by their passive aggressive tactics.

You know, the type of guys that stop and talk to you on the ridge while you are glassing a buck that your friend is making a move on across the canyon . They Seem like nice guys but really their minds are working 100 mph because its one of the best bucks they have seen all year and how could they sit there and let that hunter kill that buck. As soon as they leave and are out of site they start planning how they can beat your friend to buck for the kill shot. I mean its public land and all, they have just as much right as you to be there and shoot that buck. They aren't planning to walk back past you anyway so what does it matter if they mess up your friends stock on the buck, they don't have to face you after they screw your buddy over. Its just keep walking out of the canyon and on to the next one leaving you and your hunting buddy screwed over.

In my opinion this would be Ridgetops and his wolf packs idea of working with other hunters. One sided train of thought. It's all public land isn't it? they pay taxes.

Most of the public land we are referring to is Federal land. It belongs to every American. No resident of the home state has greater claim to it than anyone else, much like those who inhabit the same county have no greater claim than those who inhabit some other county within the state. Anyone who makes excuses for bullying any other hunter, resident or non-resident, is total loser. I know that we would all prefer no competition and a hunt that goes exactly as we dream, but part of growing up is dealing with adversity. Ignore the babies.

I think these kids need a timeout....throw em in the corner so's they miss a couple hunting seasons then maybe they'll get along better....that's what the ol man did with me and my brothers...we stood in the corner too cause our asses were sore....

Deepcolor,

I am sorry for stealing your thread, but I think any man with a backbone that has a jab thrown directly at him (ridgetop comment #36) from someone disrespectful, is eventually going to go off the deep end. I've sat back quietly too long, watching him puff his chest to his mm chronies. Since I started this shitstorm, I've actually had people message me apologizing and saying they're 100% on my side.

As much as I may come off as a ##### to some people reading this thread with different ethics than mine, I have had the exact same thing happen to me multiple times (as I stated in my original comment #4) that the resident guys were being asses about to you. As frustrating as it can be to have opening morning plans ruined, once I ran into the other hunters, I was respectful, introduced myself and talked hunting for awhile before going our own ways. It's public land and everyone hunts differently and for different reasons. Can't hate anyone for that.

Anyways, back to your original post. I don't know how you could have done anything differently not knowing the other guys personally. In my opinion, they were out of line in the way they treated you. Continue hunting respectfully in the way that works best for you. Good luck out there.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-14-16 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]

Why is this site the worst out for browsing with
a phone or posting with a phone?

SWBuck.......read my original post really slow and pay special attention to the number of hunters I speak of. Maybe read it twice if ya don't get it the first time.

Not looking to run these guys through the mud, just looking for some opinions on hunting in a crowd.

my apologies deepcolor I got the names mixed up.

as for your post its public land anyone can hunt it. I dont care if you hunted it for 20 years anyone with the correct tag has the same rights to it as you. I've hunted highly public land for years and it can get frustrating at times but someone has to get lucky it may as well be you.

Why is this site the worst out for browsing with
a phone or posting with a phone?

>Deepcolor,
>
>I am sorry for stealing your
>thread, but I think any
>man with a backbone that
>has a jab thrown directly
>at him (ridgetop comment #36)
>from someone disrespectful, is eventually
>going to go off the
>deep end. I've sat back
>quietly too long, watching him
>puff his chest to his
>mm chronies. Since I started
>this shitstorm, I've actually had
>people message me apologizing and
>saying they're 100% on my
>side.
>
>As much as I may come
>off as a ##### to
>some people reading this thread
>with different ethics than mine,
>I have had the exact
>same thing happen to me
>multiple times (as I stated
>in my original comment #4)
>that the resident guys were
>being asses about to you.
>As frustrating as it can
>be to have opening morning
>plans ruined, once I ran
>into the other hunters, I
>was respectful, introduced myself and
>talked hunting for awhile
>before going our own ways.
>It's public land and everyone
>hunts differently and for different
>reasons. Can't hate anyone for
>that.
>
>Anyways, back to your original post.
>I don't know how you
>could have done anything differently
>not knowing the other guys
>personally. In my opinion, they
>were out of line in
>the way they treated you.
>Continue hunting respectfully in the
>way that works best for
>you. Good luck out there.
>
Sorry, not sorry for hijacking this post. I'm not a big fan of these forums. I don't post much at all but I can't stand to read the things that have been said about my friends any longer.

I know ridgetops and his wolf pack- (as hilltophunter refers to them as) and I can personally vouch for the high level of ethics that they as hunters demonstrate and how much they respect the game that they chase. That same level of respect is also shown to their fellow hunters. I have watched ridgetops offer his help to as many sheep hunters as might need it over the past 5-6 years. Each one of these men are all as selfless as they come, and I am happy to call them my friends. The term wolf pack couldn't be more incorrect, and shows how little you know about them. I do believe them when they say they had already hunted in your area before you ever spoke a single word to them. You obviously don't believe that, but only you can control what you believe. They do hunt together as much as they can, because they are all great friends and enjoy the same level of passion about mule deer hunting.

They put as much, if not more, time on the mountain during the scouting season as they do during the hunting season. If they are hunting together, it is not surround the canyon and shoot anything that moves, as you try to make it sound. If one of them chooses to hunt an area, it is not because they have heard of a 30" ghost in talks around town. It is because they have seen good deer in the area while scouting and they are hunting that public land as they have every right to do. They are hunting in a way that is similar to what many groups of family and friends do in the lower country- enjoying sharing a campsite and hunting hard to be successful. Believe it or not, they are able to hunt individually or in pairs, another reason why your "wolf pack" characterization is incorrect! They have enjoyed many other hunts for different species in different states. Often times tagging along on a hunt that only one person may have a tag for, to offer as much help as they can for their friend. Each and everyone of them does this for each other. Ridgetops has always been willing to do anything he could to help new hunters and has always put his group before himself with helping them have successful hunts. He has helped hunters on other LE deer units, often times sacrificing his own days hunting. I have been able to help nephews with their hunts based on some advice that has been given to me by them. I have been grateful for their help, and I will always respect what they do.

I know that this prized area that you are hunting, (that the "wolf pack" roamed into and-- that I have not the slightest clue of the location) is not an area that your grandfathers grandfather hunted. I'm confident that it is an area that was shown to you, but with the sighting of the first mature buck- you placed your ownership on it. I can try to understand why you are so upset with the circumstances, that you feel paint the picture of your being a victim of a gang of ruthless unethical hunters. However, you need to also think of what someone else will be thinking if they are threatened. Do you really think that someone is going to respond positively if they are threatened with bodily harm if they are seen in a particular location. Don't deny that this happened, and don't deny that this was the only time that this has happened. JRay, I can't say that I've heard stories of you doing this- But hilltophunter has a reputation of a least 3-4 separate instances that I have heard this happening. Don't say that you would be fine with some Joe Blow from Magna hunting that same ridge and killing a nice deer. Because the several people that you have threatened would disagree- and you didn't know any of them at any time. YOU DON'T OWN THE MOUNTAIN

What's done is done. Move past it, keep hunting hard, and know that you are most likely going to see other people in the area hunting hard. And there is one thing I can say about the future, news spreads about big deer being killed and then the people follow. Thats why those that spend the most days on the mountain learn how to adapt to what they are faced with. I'm sure both of you will still do well hunting in the future because you spend the time.

This range is not Canadian wilderness, we can all sit on the dirt road and look up at the mountain and say- "that sure looks like some good country up there" If you are wanting to find a place that you never see anyone else, better head north.

We as Hunters are under attack by the antis. We need to find a way to stand together.

There's gotta Be Some FLATTY'S Atop a few of these Heads?

way with Words[/font]

Flatlander,

I KNOW I DONT OWN THE MOUNTAIN! NEVER CLAIMED TO! You are correct about my great grandpa not hunting the area. I was shown the area 11 or so years ago by one of the best guys I've ever known and one that I have a ton of respect for. He took me there because he knew how hard I liked to hunt and he wanted me to hunt there.

And once again, as I've stated before, I have never had issues with anyone when I have ran into them on the mountain, so your Magna comment is horseshit. If I ran into some random guys, I would shake their hand and wish them luck. Many guys can vouch that both hilltop and I have treated them that way.

Also as I've stated before, your buddies are good guys. This is why I am sure you won't believe anything myself or any other locals will tell you about your friends screwing them over.

Try to put yourself in my shoes for just a sec. You selflessly shared pics and stories of a huge buck you wounded earlier in the year with a fellow hunter that requested info and later on, went and met him to see the deer in person. All the while his other friend is talking to you acting buddy buddy with you (ridgetops). After all that, would you feel like those are guys you could trust and view them as somewhat of a friend? Would you expect theit large party to be camped and hunting on top of you the next year? Maybe I trust and view someone as somewhat of a friend way too easily because I damn sure didn't expect them to do that to me.

My main question you can answer, but that I would still really love answered from your pal ridgetops is if you would care if I was camped on the big buck you're after this year, after telling me where he lives?

Do to a family issue I had to deal with yesterday and now I need to get to work. I'll make this short.
Deepcolor,
Now you can see what I was talking about in my very first post.
I never brought up any names in post #36 and hoped to keep it that way.
My "karma" reference was only because one of my friends has nicknamed my 2015 buck, "the karma buck" because of all the time I've spent helping other hunters.
It had nothing to do with Jray but it was Jray that wanted to make this whole thing about him being a victim.
I'm sorry this thread turned out the way it did but now you can see what I meant about some guys can't be reasoned with.
A lot of what Jray and Hilltop has said is complete lies and things they have heard from their other lying jealous friends lies too.
They have gone as far as borderline slander, trying to smear mine and my good friend names, while slinging as mud as they can.
They should go into politics!
I've done nothing but try to defend myself from all these lies this whole entire thread.
I will be setting the record straight and telling the true facts of the matter at another time and thread.
Once again, sorry for all the drama.

BTW, I also hate Flatties!!

You know what Koby, go ahead and start your own thread to try and make me out to be a fool. I DON'T GIVE A DAMN! I'll let you have your glory and I will stay out of it. I have nothing to prove to total strangers. I learned a long time ago not to care what others think about me since I'm so highly talked about in the community behind my back (rock rolling, etc.). At the end of the day, I only care how my friends and family view me and they know my quality of character. Only you, your group of buddies, my dad and Mike know the truth of all this. Good luck on your thread.

Flatlander,

I have no clue who you are and where you have heard that I have threatened other hunters on 3 or 4 seperate instances??? Complete and utter fiction and you know it. First off with the exception of two guys that have a camp near ours and are ethical hunters and seem like good guys that work hard to kill nice bucks every year, I have never run into another hunter on the hill in this area. Sure there are hunters down low on the quad roads that like to b.s. miles and miles away from where we hunt but I know these hunters personally and I guarantee you didn't hear any bullshit like.that from them.

I think the last time I even ran into hunters on top of any mountain and stopped to b.s. has to be 2008 or later in another area on the range that I hunted for years and years. I eventually left the area due to lower buck size and added pressure but there is no way I ever threatened anyone that hunted that area. There was one group to the south and two groups to the north. We all knew the areas the other groups liked to hunt and gave eachother space. The last few years I was at that camp I sat multiple days glassing with two ambitious kids that had started camping just south of me and explained to them the best way to hunt the basin and what the deer did every day because they hadn't quite figured it out yet. I also sat with another guy from Utah County that was up there for his first time and glassed all morning and explained to him what I thought were the best ways to kill deer in the canyons. The following year he killed a really big buck on the Muzzy sitting right where I had told him was the best spot to be opening a.m.

This area I am describing was not shown to me by my great great grandpa as you referenced in your post which is the typical "it's public land response, Yada Yada yada", but it was shown to me by my dad and by my grandfather that was born in 1912 and he hunted the area from the late 1920's until he was too old to make the climb. I hunted it from the time I was old enough to make the hike as did my father.

My point is that if there was ever a canyon or mountain that I was ever going to claim as mine and threaten people over it would have been that area. Sure there were frusterating days with hunters messing up the deer but that is just publuc ground hunting. Any hunter I spoke with in that area got nothing but kindness and a good b.s. session from me. I'll guarantee there's no fictional stories of me threatening anyone from that area either so Im sure you just have a good imagination.

> There's gotta Be Some FLATTY'S
>Atop a few of these
>Heads?
>
>

Hahahaha, was thinking the same thing yesterday. What a crap show.

Okay then. I think I have it figured out.

Some of you guys are getting too involved with all the d!ck measuring and politics of new-age hunting. The internet has done damn few positive things for hunting and some guys will do almost anything for the glory of the WWW.

Zeke

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

GET A ROOM!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA............................................................................................................................................................................................................

+1, Zeke.

My buck ( weiner) is bigger than yours.

SHEESH!!

I like to kill big stuff too! I keep it quiet! Been there; done that!! Could be one reason guys don't post up many success pics here anymore!!!

Like DW said: Loose lips sink ships!

Shhhhh....

Oh yeah...Deepcolor!

As a Wyoming resident, I'm sorry to hear of your experience. Unfortunately, It's pretty commonplace.

I only cuss NR behind their backs. :)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-16 AT 12:59PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-16 AT 12:57?PM (MST)

Wow this thread is some drama!! Bottom line is if its public land you can hunt where you want!! Ethics wise if you see other hunters move on to another spot if you want.
Nobody owns any deer, elk etc. on Public land even if they
have scouted the animal from birth!! If you have a legal license & tag than you have every right to hunt any public
land you want. If you find a honey hole than my advice is keep your mouth shut about it, but eventually someone else will find out about that's just the way it goes. There are no secrets spots on public land & anyone who thinks there is is crazy. Guys that continuously scout new areas or even the same areas year after year adapt to hunting pressure & make it work to there advantage. Hunting is hunting enjoy the time in the outdoors with friends & family or solo. Life is way to short to whine about this #####, and in reality the animals belong to the man upstairs. If you happen to be fortunate enough to take one than good for you & enjoy the experience!!! Just my .02 & I'll leave it at that!

>
>>
>>Jayray, don't make this thread personal.
>>To answer your question, I
>>have only been threatened over
>>hunting a certain canyon and
>>specific bucks only once in
>>my life and that was
>>two years ago.
>
>
>Don't tell me about not making
>it personal. You made it
>personal with your original comment.
>I would love nothing more
>than to make a post
>on this website informing everyone
>on here explaining your WHOLE
>story beginning with your sheep
>hunt, then see what way
>your "90%" would sway. I
>don't have time to write
>something that long though.
>
>"Couldn't get the job done", that's
>hilarious! I might not have
>the best memory ever, but
>I recall putting my tag
>on a 34" buck the
>first time you and your
>cutthroat buddies tried to screw
>me, trampling all over the
>damn place, blowing deer out.
>So who was it not
>getting the job done? Funny
>part is it was something
>like 5 or 6 versus
>one. Shows real quick who
>the first timers to the
>area were and who knew
>exactly where the deer would
>be at first light.
>
>But you know what, I gotta
>give you a pat on
>the back. In the end,
>all your good "karma" helped
>you to really bury the
>knife in my back. You
>killed your 200 inch buck,
>right under my nose, in
>the exact same spot I
>originally told you Corbys buck
>lived in. A buck that
>I passed on numerous times
>and let grow for 4
>years and spent countless hours
>watching. I learned another valuable
>lesson this year thanks to
>you: I'll never let a
>good buck walk again in
>hopes of getting a crack
>at him next year.
>
>Oh, also, don't ever go running
>your trap around town again
>about me doing something as
>childish as rolling rocks down
>the mountain at you.

Where corbys buck lived what the heck made it corbys buck. Did he raise it and tie it to a tree get real.

If the "wolfpack' hunted this area in question prior to the date in question they should be able to produce a photo that can show them in this area - camp photo, hero photo, scenery photo, etc. If they can I suspect the one side might even offer an apology, if they cannot this looks funny. If the 'wolfpack' was tipped off to this area when someone was being friendly they are very wrong to be hunting there now - public land or not. If they have some photo showing them in there than the air will be clear. I take a lot of photos when I hunt and I am pretty sure Ridgetops takes some great photos and lots of them.

I have neighbors that hunt our property boundary like crazy because we have spent the last decade creating the best habitat possible and managing our deer - it sucks but I have learned to not let it bother me as much (still does a little).

I have been burned more than once by sharing information about hunting spots and I will probably be burned again. It sucks but I am also not going to be that guy that is a complete A-hole about not sharing information. I might be pretty tight lipped about a great spot in a public unit that has lots of pressure and where tags are attainable.

Good Luck.

What a joke - Both sides of this "feud" need to reevaluate why you hunt. My .02 on the situation. Take it for what it is worth :)

dang! how did i not find this gem any sooner! this is the kinda online bullchit im usually at the center of!

Jray, if you dont like flat brim hats, im sure you love that clown that you share deer units with haha

ridgetop, i know you dont care for me because of some stuff ive said on forums in the past, but even i dont get involved in this much drama on the mountain! come on dude, let it die. ##### happens. get over it.

i'll bet i can guess within a canyon or 2 of where all this drama takes place! maybe i'll go check it out next month and see what all the fuss is about! must be a pretty good spot if we are still fighting over who owns the deer that call it home.

but seriously, i've been covering alot of that unit this year in search of "the one". theres a few in that area that are keepers... time will tell. see you guys up there in a few weeks ;)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom