D6 advice for a new hunter

garrettfrank

I'm 18 and I'm trying to get into hunting and because I live in Escalon I thought I'd try my luck at D6. Can anybody give me some good advice for this area? So far (all my research is internet based, no field experience yet) I'm planning on working my way around Fence Creek campground area in the early part of the season then working my way down in elevation as the season progresses. Im planning on a rifle tag btw. Any advice period would be much appreciated!

I hunt to the south of you but the same general principals apply.

get out as much as you can pre season and during archery. Bucks will be more visible and you can find the areas that hold deer. During the season they become much harder to hunt and elusive, but they will stay in the same general areas typically. You can even “road scout” to find some bucks, then try to figure out where they will be hiding come season.

get some trail cameras out

get a bear tag. Just as likely to see a bear as a forked horn these days (maybe more likely).

Spend as many free days hunting as possible. Focus on areas within an hour or so from where you live so that you can make it out for quick evening and morning hunts. Time in the field will greatly increase your chances of success

You concentrating on fence creek area or herring creek area? You’ve got 3 different threads going. Both areas I’ve had success in but slightly different. As stated above have a bear tag. The meat can be good to great. Get a ways off the road and be quiet.

There are not a ton of deer in D6 but they are there......problem is they get road hunted to death....even in archery season. You need to find areas with limited roads and hike into the pockets......forget about drinking beer with your buddies and plan to hunt alone during the day if you really want to kill a buck. Bonfires and tipping back silver bullets is all good and every once in awhile some dough head will kill a forkie off the side of the road but it is RARE.

Spend every day you can in July and August learning the roads and getting a sense of the areas you want to hunt.... I like to find where a road crosses a ridge, park and hike in along the ridge.....it allows you to cover some ground and you can glass the openings.

On top of that.....Figure out how to take care of an animal if and when you do kill one..... you are going to need to learn how to field dress (I recommend the gutless method) and have a pack that can get all your meat back to the truck. Being in Escalon, you should be able to find some Paisa getting ready to kill a goat on Friday night for Saturday’s Quinceanera..... Be good practice.

Don't listen to SlightlySober. Occasionally he can be funny, but in general, he's a negative Nelly and you can't read his sarcasm. Don't even try.

You've gotten a lot of good information already. Time to look at those maps from CDFW, the description of where deer are generally found, and take the contributors advice--including the bear tag. They are yummy.

Also, if you want, you and Hardaway can come by my house and I'll kill a goat or two for one of my 15 daughters quinceanera's that will inevitably occur just before you go hunting. I'll even use a custom knife, not those dumb ol' Havalons.

Better yet, I'll slaughter a hog or cattle cuz goat are more of a muslim thing, but us paisa's eat them too.

I spent a lot of time around Strawberry when I hunted that unit. Take the advice that's been given to ya. Chances are you be busting some brush too. Good luck.

Thank you guys for some quality info. Snoopdogg, Id defiantly be interested in coming out to learn learn how to handle a dead animal if you're not too far from Escalon.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on a decent knife? I have a couple of buck 110s and because I'm a poor college student, I'm trying to avoid breaking the bank. Speaking of it, what are the basics as far as equipment goes? I have money set aside for binos, a range finder, hiking/hunting boots, and other misc stuff like clothing. I'd like to not waste money where its not needed. I do not have a pack... how hard would it be to just drag a deer to my pick up?

Thank you guys for some quality info. Snoopdogg, Id defiantly be interested in coming out to learn learn how to handle a dead animal if you're not too far from Escalon.

Can anyone give me a recommendation on a decent knife? I have a couple of buck 110s and because I'm a poor college student, I'm trying to avoid breaking the bank. Speaking of it, what are the basics as far as equipment goes? I have money set aside for binos, a range finder, hiking/hunting boots, and other misc stuff like clothing. I'd like to not waste money where its not needed. I do not have a pack... how hard would it be to just drag a deer to my pick up?
Havalon. Best knife out there!

You can at least get by on cheap glass, you do not want to skimp on boots. Pack follow boots. If you cannot afford a good top end pack just get a 100 dollar pack frame from cabelas to pack out quarters. You can always p-cord any old backpack you have laying around to the outer part of a pack frame to carry your gear/food/water. If you can spend a little more companies like alpz outdoors make cheaper end multi use pack that you can pack out boned out meat and in some case quarters. Dragging a whole deer out solo depending on the distance is a bad idea to plan for IMO. It can work, but dont plan for it. Focus on the south side of 108 if you are hunting close to roads, even if not. More deer and better access than on north side and cfork area. Thats all ill tell on dsix info :) good luck. Oh and cheap knives are usually the easiest to sharpen. A 40 dollar buck knife works well, but heavy to carry.

the only essential item on your list is binoculars. Assuming you have a gun already and just use your buck knife

you can get away without fancy boots, rangefinder (it’s pretty much all still hunting the timber in d6), pack (carry out quarters—it’s hard to get that far from the truck unless you’re backpacking in). Don’t spend a lot on clothing either just use whatever is quiet and comfortable stuff you have.

Spend your money on GAS and time off! Had some of the most epic adventures and killed 1-2 deer every year in CA while in college with some of the crappiest gear including a 2WD salvage title sedan.

Here’s a good hunting memories from the deer woods in college–sitting around the campfire at night after the evening hunt a guy pulls up in his truck and asks “hey I saw a kid in basketball shorts and tennis shoes with a rifle—is he gonna be ok out there?” That was my buddy who is one of the killingest SOBs I know ?

We grew up hunting D6 for the opening hunt high, Clarks Fork to Kennedy Meadows area. Couple weeks later move down to Pinecrest, DODGE RIDGEthen couple weeks later Spring Gap, then when weather hit, Black Springs Road herd will cross migrating down to Long Barn Area, Good Luck, happy hunting.

We grew up hunting D6 for the opening hunt high, Clarks Fork to Kennedy Meadows area. Couple weeks later move down to Pinecrest, DODGE RIDGEthen couple weeks later Spring Gap, then when weather hit, Black Springs Road herd will cross migrating down to Long Barn Area, Good Luck, happy hunting.
The weather hasn't hit in almost 20 years.

Good information

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom