Dad’s last elk hunt

SnakeKidd

Dad has been hunting elk in Utah since they would let him and in our family elk hunting has always trumped anything else. Do when dad ran into some health issues last year we made the decision to cash in on his points and go on one last hunt no matter the quality of bull we wanted to do another elk hunt together before we missed the chance.
The first unit me and dad ever hunted together was the Lasal unit near Moab. We both filled our tags that year and decided that since we started on this unit together we would end it here as well. Prior to the hunts I contacted Josh and Randy with Black Timber Outfitters and explained the plan and they jumped at the chance.
jump forward to the hunt-we meet up with our guides and talked over the expectations and reason for the hunt and we went hunting!
On opening day we slipped into our glassing location and saw multiple bulls but nothing to get too excited about until dad asked “what is that”. We all glanced over about 350 yards to see a big bull had shown up over night and we got excited. We had set up in an area that would funnel everything past us an liked our chances. About 15 minutes later we heard branches breaking and out runs a small five point bull followed by the big bull. There was no question that dad was going to take the shot on this bull when the opportunity came. Dad placed a perfect 155 yard shot and the bull dropped in his tracks and the high fives and congrats started!!!
Special thanks to BTO, Zack, Dallon, Josh, Dennis, Justin, Marcus, and the greatest hunting buddy I could ever ask for Dad!!! Congrats on an awesome Bull

EFF02D86-7EAF-4146-B434-5E394D26CEBD.jpeg

498D41A0-AC86-428D-AA44-BEC096F1E3D3.jpeg

Man what a cool Bull!!! Your dad is my new hero. Tell him said congrats. And I sure had an allergy attack while reading your story. Experienced the same think two years ago with my dad hunting Antelope.

Dad has been hunting elk in Utah since they would let him and in our family elk hunting has always trumped anything else. Do when dad ran into some health issues last year we made the decision to cash in on his points and go on one last hunt no matter the quality of bull we wanted to do another elk hunt together before we missed the chance.
The first unit me and dad ever hunted together was the Lasal unit near Moab. We both filled our tags that year and decided that since we started on this unit together we would end it here as well. Prior to the hunts I contacted Josh and Randy with Black Timber Outfitters and explained the plan and they jumped at the chance.
jump forward to the hunt-we meet up with our guides and talked over the expectations and reason for the hunt and we went hunting!
On opening day we slipped into our glassing location and saw multiple bulls but nothing to get too excited about until dad asked “what is that”. We all glanced over about 350 yards to see a big bull had shown up over night and we got excited. We had set up in an area that would funnel everything past us an liked our chances. About 15 minutes later we heard branches breaking and out runs a small five point bull followed by the big bull. There was no question that dad was going to take the shot on this bull when the opportunity came. Dad placed a perfect 155 yard shot and the bull dropped in his tracks and the high fives and congrats started!!!
Special thanks to BTO, Zack, Dallon, Josh, Dennis, Justin, Marcus, and the greatest hunting buddy I could ever ask for Dad!!! Congrats on an awesome Bull

View attachment 13498

View attachment 13500
Father Son I love it great bull you guys

Great story. Thank you for sharing.
Family is what life is about and no better place to enjoy that than in the mountains chasing elk!!!

Fantastic! Way to go on a memorial of all the hunts and to get such an awesome bull on this hunt! Congrats all around!

Great story and great Bull. I teared up a bit thinking about the last hunt with my Dad and boys. Sure do miss him now that he’s gone.

Great Bull. Congrats , You should have took Your Shades off for the picture though. Props to Your DAD and You!..................BULL!

I wear those sunglasses so often I don’t even realize I have them on. You would think someone would have mentioned them. Thanks

Wow!

I appreciate stories like this because my dad is in the twilight of his hunting career and likeyou and your dad, our passion runs deep for hunting elk. We have hunted together since I was 5. That’s 38 years of hunting memories.

This year just may be my dad’s last limited entry elk hunt. He drew a late season tag on the Manti. We’re going to give it hell......one.....last......time. For tradition, for the memories, for the passion!

Congratulations to your dad and you for getting after it one last time! Awesome bull for a closing ceremony!

Congratulations!
This post hits home to me! My dad and I have shared some great hunting memories on this unit. I grew up hunting deer on this unit right alongside my dad and other family members. We both have drawn a elk tag on this unit, and was lucky enough to be apart of each others hunt. It gets me thinking about the journey of life and how precious memories with loved ones are. The old photo and recent photo is like the circle of life, great documentation! Thanks for sharing!

Your Dad did awesome-congrats to him and you for helping!! I can relate to this post on many levels. My Dad drew a Boulder muzzy elk tag at the age of 68 with only 4 points a few years back and he killed this bull. His health has declined a fair bit since that hunt and it was definitely his last elk hunt. So glad he got it done on a great bull after a lifetime of helping me and my siblings make some amazing memories!!??

8DEC6EF7-08DD-42CA-8A9D-64B1830F1FBF.jpeg

Snake you guys took a awesome bull. Congrats to your Pops
Those BTO guys did ya up right.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom