Dall or Stone first?

mozey

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-17 AT 08:19AM (MST)[p]I realize I'm addressing a very select group here, but I'm looking for advice on which of these two sheep should be attempted first. Is either of the two generally more physically demanding than the other?

My thought is that if I go for a slam, at 55, I need to try to get the most physically demanding of the two out of the way first.

I have read LtSheets thread below--but I didn't see anything that indicated which hunt would be physically harder.

Much thanks for your thoughts.

from what I hear Stone is harder physically but I know of a lot of guys that quit on dall hunts due to the physicality of the hunt. I'd go to the sheep show in Reno and talk to outfitters about what you want in a hunt and what your realistic physical abilities are and you can usually find one that can accommodate if you're willing to put in the work. some are all backpack to get into country that has big rams. some use horses to get closer to sheep country.

My dall sheep hunt wasn't that bad but I trained hard for a year to be ready for it.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-12-17 AT 10:52AM (MST)[p]You're right, kimber--I need to go to that sheep show this January.

I've been a backpack hunter my whole life, so that would still be my preference. But whereas I used to go 15-20 miles in mountainous terrain per day, my flatfeet are making it tough to go much more than 12-15 these days before I need to give them an overnight rest. My right ACL flared up last February too, but although it still feels loose, the pain has left and it didn't slow me down at all on my desert hunt. I can also get that operated on if I think it will help.

Does anyone have a sense of how many miles per day backpacking?

>I realize I'm addressing a very
>select group here, but I'm
>looking for advice on which
>of these two sheep should
>be attempted first. Is
>either of the two generally
>more physically demanding than the
>other?
>
>My thought is that if I
>go for a slam, at
>55, I need to try
>to get the most physically
>demanding of the two out
>of the way first.
>

Wow, you're 55???
I could and would go tomorrow and I've got almost a decade on you!

You're just a damn youngster and have plenty of time to make something happen. With that said, we either run out of health or money first. In the end, we run out of both so you might as well make hay while the sun shines.

My Dall sheep hunts have been way more physical than my Stone sheep hunt was. I even stayed on and went on another hunt with a guy for his Stone and that wasn't too bad either.

It all depends on who you go with and where they take you in their area...and of course, where the sheep are hanging out.

Pick one and do it!

Zeke

#livelikezac

I think the hunts could go either way as far as which would be more physically challenging.

One thing is for sure that the stone hunts are much more expensive. For that reason, I'd knock that one out first. Or better yet, lock yourself in for both hunts and just spread them out over a couple of years. I'm a little shocked to see the current prices up 15-20% on hunts I just did a few of years ago.

Zeke is right about the physical demand being tied with what kind of hunt you go on.
I have done a backpack hunt for both a Dall and a Stone and I'd say they were pretty similar in physical demand. But backpack hunts for Stones are rare. Most outfitters use horsed to access sheep country and then hike from there. That hopefully makes it easier than just back packing.

Lots of good comments from experienced hunters already so I can't add much.
I am 68 and in two days I am leaving for a Stone hunt to hopefully complete my 4th NA sheep. I wish I was younger and in better shape. One thing is for sure. After you have one, you will want the other...and then the other... and then the other! :)

"After you have one, you will want the other...and then the other... and then the other!"

Yeah--I'm afraid I'm already becoming exactly what you're talking about.

I am following along and learning for now. Maybe someday a sheep hunt will be in my future. I just finished paying for my last set of braces. So I think I am heading in the right direction. Hopefully Zeke and others will still be on here to help out. ?

Heheh--I thought I knocked that last set of braces out about ten years ago, but then my wife dropped a bomb with "now that the kids are done, I'd like to get braces too." I tried, but despite my best attempts there was no talking her out of it. So I ended up paying for five sets (one kid twice) of those blasted things. That's about the cost of one Stone. Now every time I look at their teeth, I'm gonna be thinking: I could've hunted Stone... ;-)

Mozey,

Congratulations on your ram and the desire to hunt sheep again, whatever color they may be. Just having a sheep hunt under your belt or having one in your future changes who you are.

As for which species to pursue next that is a personal matter and advice from strangers is a bit like the old Ginger or Mary Anne discussion. But since you asked and I never tire of discussing sheep hunting I will offer up a few thoughts.

When talking about sheep hunts even within the same species there is just no way to compare apples to apples. Every hunt area, outfitter, animal, weather, year is different. With that in mind, in general I know of a higher percentage of stone sheep hunters that have returned to the lower forty-eight from Canada without a ram than can be said of dall hunters that tried their luck in Canada. So if we assume a worse case scenario, multiple hunts may be required to bring home a single stone sheep trophy. I suggest you take on the stone hunt first while you have more health and earning potential than you will in later years.

Then if the day should come when you still "need" a dall and the steel in your legs and your take home pay has decreased substantially at least you have saved the most accessible, affordable and accomplishable hunt for last. There are dall hunts (think helicopters in the NWT) that literally can be accomplished by hunters well past seventy years of age. Sure they cost more than some hunts in Alaska but the success rates are much higher and heck they still "only" cost about 60% of a comparable stone sheep hunt.

Complicating matters is the fact that BC recently banned grizzly bear hunting in the province. How do you think the outfitters are going to compensate for that lost source of revenue? My guess would be that the prices for their other species will rise to fill the void. BOOK SOON! Chance are you won't be able to reserve a stone sheep hunt for three to four years so that gives you time to save $$ and research that dall hunt you're going on someday.

Good Luck!!

When the day comes (and it will) I would have to helicopter up and back down the mountain to kill a ram, I'm done sheep hunting.

The "pick the one you may have to go 3 or 4 times to get" argument only applies if funds and time are not an issue (3-4 Stone's hunts would be 120-170K at today's prices).

If you have the sheep bug and want a ram, a Canada Dall hunt is the way to go. JMHO.

That's a tough one Mozey! I all but decided I wanted a stone first but then talked it over with the wife. She is not against me ever hunting them but doesn't want me to commit that kinda cash to a single hunt just yet. I'm now planning a Dall hunt as my first, most likely in the NWT or Yukon! I too want to make it to the sheep show if I can but not sure it'll happen due to leave requirements along with everything else. If you decide to go, let me know and I might send you with some questions for different outfitters haha.

Something to also consider is maybe a fannin hunt in the NWT. They are much less expensive and still count as a Stone for the slam. I've been talking a lot with Raven's Throat and am waiting on their owner to get back from hunting to have a long conversation with them. They take close to 75% of their rams being fannin. Just a thought.

Right now I'm almost positive I'm going to that show. Got plenty of frequent flyers--just need to make certain that the job won't be an issue.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom