Dang buzztails

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
Went up to ranch to get some camera cards and do some chores. Found these guys sunning by barn.

0E01367F-0C64-4E8B-A9EA-DE9C72674DBD.jpeg

Blue hair, yes two were together in almost the same spot I have killed two others and seen three more in the past 6 weeks! This time of year I carry a little .38 S&W with some shot shells loads I made.

Is that normal? Sounds like a den somewhere. Or worse, one of those horror stories about piles of them living under a floor somewhere.

A flashlight might be an important tool. And maybe a shotgun. :)

Yes,they are denning under barn. Kinfolks who had control of this property for decades left it a mess. Lots of junk sitting around and in barn with no one going there. All cleaned up now so rattlers are visible. Got to get them cleaned out to make it safe for family to enjoy. We always have the occasional rattler in this part of the world but den under barn means I am on a mission!

I hate snakes, if I lived closer I'd volunteer to help you get rid of them. My buddies dog got bit the other day but I think it was a dry bite because it didn't seem to affect him to badly. Good luck!

Yikes! I hit a record this year in Wyo and Colo...saw 17 buzzsnakes! I posted somewhere else a little earlier about waking up from a nap with my head on the ground at a waterhole. When I woke there was a rattler coiled up next to my head! Spooky way to wake up! After I lifted my head he started rattling but let me slowly move out of striking distance!

It's a bad year for rattlesnakes with the drought. I had to scoot two off the trail just this week that I found while trail running. I don't kill them, just use a stick and get them on their way.

These guys were my buddies last year. There were three of them there for about a month and I'd stop and have a water break at the rock they'd sun on. They were super relaxed, I never even got a rattle out of them.

20200701_194745.jpg

I don’t kill them, my daughter likes to catch them, play with them a bit, then let them go. If there a problem around the barn I definitely see getting rid of them.

I fell asleep hunting antelope in Nevada one day under a sage brush. I had a snake crawl up my pant leg. Luckily it was a big gopher snake. When I got home I told my girlfriend I had a 4 foot trouser snake. She knew I was lying since it is only two feet.

I fell asleep hunting antelope in Nevada one day under a sage brush. I had a snake crawl up my pant leg. Luckily it was a big gopher snake. When I got home I told my girlfriend I had a 4 foot trouser snake. She knew I was lying since it is only two feet.
Darn. I was hoping you would stick with the food theme. I guess dick jokes are ok though.

I would try to relocate them to a more remote place than your barn area if possible. They do some good keeping vermin (rats and mice) in check! Don't understand why people get creeped out- just part of nature.

Feeding GB rattler 1.jpg

Caught this little guy a few years ago. The late season had been bitter cold then we suddenly got a couple warm days in the 70's then it turned back to cold. I got my hunters set up on a point to glass then went back to get something out of my saddle bags. While standing next to my horse I heard a slow buzz. Looked down and he was right by my foot. I don't know if he was rattling or his teeth were chattering. He was so cold he could hardly move so I just reached down and picked him up by his noggin. I carried him back to show him to my hunters who immediately started screaming to kill it. He wasn't bottherin anybody so I coiled him up and took a few pictures then shoved him down a hole
rattle snake.jpeg

Last weekend went up in the hills of N.Bama and had an encounter with a 4' Timber Rattler. Cool nights lately, and it
was stretched out in a sunny spot.
Impressive, beautiful snake.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Texas Guides & Outfitters

West Texas Hunting

Private land free range hunts for native and exotic game on nearly 1 million acres in west Texas.

Urge 2 Hunt

Deer/Elk tags - DIY or guided for all species. Many guaranteed tags for trophy hunts.

Vargo Hunting

300k acres for free range auodad, mule deer, elk, whitetail and all the Texas exotics.

Back
Top Bottom