Dangerous hunting

appleman

I heard no one is hunting Sonora this year because it is far too dangerous. What do you all think about this situation?

>I heard no one is hunting
>Sonora this year because it
>is far too dangerous. What
>do you all think about
>this situation?

Iam not sure about that but i did notice some of the outfitters dropped their prices in a big way.... Some Great outfitters that kill amazing bucks every year have droppped prices anywhere from three to five thousand.... Also not sure about the differance in safety from the Sonora area verse the baja...but i just had a few freinds and family members attend the Baja 1000 and they spent just over two weeks there and had no problems what so ever...1manshow

Ya Joe-glad to hear some positive response---You are for sure right when you say prices are dropping fast which is in direct correlation to the amount of bookings-I am pretty sure---we will see what the future holds-should be a few really great bucks this year!

It's only going to get worse I'm afraid. I've been twice, but no way in hades' would I go back. Not worth the risk to me, no matter how big the deer are.

>Johnny-cant resist-leaving early in the morning-I
>will check it out-thanks for
>ur thought!

Good Luck!! Hope you get a GIANT.....

"Dangerous Hunting" is an under statement. The "risk" is not worth the "reward", plus the quality of game seems to be on the decilne.

Ever read the current US Citizen Travel Advisery to Mexico? There are Highways you should never travel at night. What's that tell us?

That Country is "Out Of Control"!!!

Make sure your Life Insurance is PAID IN FULL if you go!!

)))....>

I went via plane to Hermosillo this year instead of driving and didnt really see or have any problem at all. I have sure heard some true stories that were certainly not good!!! Sure hope the situation gets better in the future and not worse as it is truely a fantastic place to hunt!

Appleman: Glad you made it back in one piece and breathing. Saw your posted departure date. I have read so many documented bad things going on down there accross the border. Seems if the drug guys didn't get you someplace the bandido's nailed you on the highway's. That was a smart plan flying this year. Seems it worked out ok for you this trip.

How was the hunt'n?

)))).....>

Good luck guys-hope u bang a big one. Rut should be going and u will do great! Keep us posted and lets keep this Mexico forum going with a little more activity.

Dave, That is one great looking buck. May not be all you were looking for but there are sure a lot of guys that would drop the hammer on that one back here in the States. I figure if your trophy hunting in Mexico your looking for that monster of 20 years ago. I've seen the Pics from years past but have heard that the deer management has been poor and most of the 36+ are far and few inbetween. Is this true?

Mexico, when I was rifle hunting back 20 years ago was my dream hunt. Now with all the issues going on down there. I probally will never go there. To many other options etc.....

I'm glad to hear some positive reports from hunters on the travel experience and how you went by air. I guess if your familiar with the system as well as how to get from point A to the hunt area short cutting exposure to the bad guys you can still enjoy a fairly safe hunt.

Thanks for the Pic and info.

Glenn

)))).....>

Glenn-out of all the options left here with the draws taking so many years and purchasing tags being quite expensive the renewable tag of Sonora has seemed like a great option in the past but I must admit that it is lessening in my mind with all of the safety problems that are increasing South of the border. That being said I do feel that over the last ten years or so that the deer populations have improved due to more extensive land improvement and the addition of much needed water over an expanded area. If the trophy potential has improved or not I am not sure as I think the bucks you speak of have always been very few. With more American hunting styles and dedicated trophy hunters it may be that a higher percentage of super bucks have been killed this century and they are now dead! this maybe due to outfitters allowing the taking of too many bucks per area. This is all speculation on my part but it is probably difficult to find a ranch that isnt hunted extensively every year. This being said I am sure there will be some super bucks killed this year as there always seems to be in that vast desert. Hopefully the safety issue will resolve itself in time and the tremendous desert bucks will continue to lure muley hunters south of the border.

Dave, thanks for the information and your prospective on Mexico.
Yeh, to me the way most States have gone to the bonus point system. Our children and grandkids can never compete with people that have many points. Bonus points have ruined hunting for the up coming youngsters and hunters of the future.

We backpack in from a base camp and only hunt DIY.

I saw the writing on the wall years ago. That is why we decided to take up archery. More options on hunt's in the beginning then as we learned the game..we got really good at it. So much of a different type of hunting and experience getting up close and personal with the game. Nothing like it ...I love the rush, the stalk, hunting and thinking like a predator. I am starting to get a little old(early 60's)to be humping deep into the backcountry. It gets harder/slower every year to keep up with the young guys climbing out of those steep canyons.

Happy Holidays

Glenn

)))).....>

NICE TO HEAR GLENN-IM KINDA IN THE SAME BOAT WITH THE YOUNG GUYS WALKING PAST ME-IM WITH U ON THE BOW HUNTING-PUT MY RIFLE DOWN FOR TEN YEARS ONE TIME-NOW I DO BOTH AND HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF POINTS ALL OVER-FINALLY DREW MY NEV ARCH ELK TAG THIS YEAR,GREAT FUN! GOT MAX PTS IN ARI AND WISH I HADS DRAWN THE STRIP THIS YEAR-WOW! HAVE A GREAT CHRISTMAS. DAVID

I look forward to reading about the guys hunts that are down in Mexico right now.

Taking it slow and staying in shape I can still cover a lot of ground.

Merry Christmas David

Glenn
TrophyHunter
))))......>

I heard long time Sonora outfitter Thomas Baker was only able to book 6 hunters this year. There will be a few bombers this year for sure, but looks like the handwriting is on the wall for some of the outfitters down there. I'm going to spend my money on private ground in Texas for my muley fix. Much cheaper and safer than MX. We've killed 3 190" bucks and 1 200" the past 3 years there. Nice buck Appleman!

Fortis-Thomas told me he shut everything down-too dangerous! Would love to get some inside info on ur Texas fix. appleman

Buddy's 2008 190"
3977copy_of_2008_letterb_001.jpg

My 2008 34", 190" buck
1170copy_of_jg_letter_b_009.jpg

2010 31" 190" buck
2967copy_of_p1000154.jpg

I can't get the pic of my buddy's 2009 200" buck to load. We've been very lucky so far.

Johnny-if you ever want to share any info on hunting your area in Texas feel free to pm me any time. Those are some nice bucks. I still remember that great Sonoran muley you got a couple years ago. Thanks David

Appleman,

How did you get your capes back this year? Heard that there are now some issues crossing the border. You flew so did they check you at the airport? When we fly out of SFO they could care less. When we fly out of LAX we are usually screwed and need to get a broker to finally get our capes home. We are going dowm for our Coues deer hunt leaving Jan. 18 for ten days, should be fun. Have been trying to find a mule deer hunt we can do on our own but no luck yet, still looking.

Don

David, I'll PM you, but probably not until after the holidays.....still need to finish shopping, and then off for last week of whitetails. I'll be in touch. My buddy in the pics runs the deal, so I'll visit with him to find out details of openings, etc. I guide for him, then get to hunt.

Don-We always fly thru Phoenix---to me it totally depends on who is at customs-the unruly and nasty fish and game guy or the nice customs gals who only ask for the hunt contract. They did not even look at capes although I didnt even bring mine cause I shot last nite and wasnt fully frozen-just didnt want to chance it with the nasty guys. But yes, there can be some issues cause everyone thinks and intreprets the rules differently. Dont you just love it when they treat you like a criminal? Dont worry-just do it and have some FUN! Good luck and keep us posted. David

thanks-nice photo and buck,even all the way. That Texas sand must be pretty soft-appears as though he got his legs stuck way deep---lol

Hey

Wish I could have responded to this earlier. But I've been in Mexico.

Sonoran Outfitters has booked 38 mule deer hunter, 18 coues deer hunter and 7 desert sheep hunters. My prices are not dropping, and I'm already 20% booked for next year.

Things on the news are blown up. It's kinof funny, because the Mexican people, always ask me. DO YOUR HIGH SCHOOL KIDS REALLY, BRING GUNS TO SCHOOL AND SHOOT OTHER KIDS!!

TR

Todd-very curious what u have taken so far this season in Sonora??? Hope u are home having a great Christmas! Keep us posted.

We have only been hunting sheep. The first four sheep hunters have taken a 188,174,167 and 165 rams. I killed a 104 coues deer, just driving down the road on one of my MD ranches.

We start hunting MD the first week of January. If I could remember how to cut/paste a picture I would post. Otherwise go to my website at www.sonoranoutfitters.net and see some of the new rams.

TR

Todd, (sonoranoutfitters) Are you hunting or booking hunts on "Rancho La Poza" just south of Hermosillo.

>I heard no one is hunting
>Sonora this year because it
>is far too dangerous. What
>do you all think about
>this situation?

Just got back from MX and never felt in danger at anytime... Hunted with Todd from Sonoran outfitters... 1manshow

> WELL---HOW DID U DO AND
>WHAT DID U SEE AND
>THINK???

Shot a Nice 4x4 on the last day that i passed up a few days before.. We seen lots of deer every day as the rut was on strong... We had the best luck glassing from some nice hills that were on the ranch. i liked that alot more than the high racking...The food was awesome i wish i could of brought back our cook so he can teach my wife. LOL I see now why u like the Mexico so much... I will be going back... Joe

VERY NICE JOE---THANKS FOR THE REPORT-LOOKS LIKE U HAD A FUN AND REWARDING TRIP AND GOT A NICE BUCK ON TOP OF IT ALL.

Appleman: I've been watching the Mex. post and saw that all you guys made it back in one piece without any safety issues. Is this seasons hunting mule deer about over?

I've been reading where all the vacation destinations are suffering due to cruise lines discontinuing trips to Mexico because of all the killings and safety stuff...Seems like it's everywhere/ and going totally out of control no natter what spin people try to put on the violence in that country.

I know you flew and didn't take the highway much on your last trip. Seems you are experienced and have found a good place to hunt and travel. Haven't seen enough on what I would call quality game Pics this year 2010 to justify the exposure to the madness in Old Mexico.

What's your take on this for the "hunting future" in Old Mexico.

Glenn
))))......>

Yep havnt seen much yet this year(although I did see a 40.5 in wide straight 4x4 and a 208 very very heavy 31.5 incher and a very full good looking 230 five pt---Im sure there are a bunch of goodens) but I am not convinced it is anymore worth it safety wise. I know of eight dead hunters out of Hermosillo this month and twelve more missing plus the other bad stories. I feel that the deer will be very good in the future because there are some dedicated ranchers but I think the safe hunting aspect will be put on hold for awhile as it even gets worse. so to answer your question--- I feel the "hunting future" in old Mex is bad for the Americans and good for the deer-and great for those that choose to brave the dangers, which are very real!!!

Where did you get the numbers on dead or missing hunters? Have not heard of this.

Thanks David, I think you hit the nail on the head. Hopefully someday Mexico will take control and make their country safe again for tourists as well as hunters....:)

Glenn

)))).......>

I also would like to hear where you got those numbers or where you heard this. I am in Hermosillo and have been for a month and haven't heard of anything.

I do believe that deer madness just posted a news report of something almost identical with what I heard and it makes me wonder if my source that was so adament about it being twenty bird hunters out of Hermosillo could have been wrong about location -although this happens alot all over Mexico. I heard it was eight dead Amer bird hunters shot in head and twelve still missing??? All of the hunter attacks I have heard verified were on groups of bird hunters but never on deer hunters---YET-that I have heard of. My personal opinion is that they probably dont care what you are hunting. If u are in the wrong area at the wrong time u might be history. Maybe someone else can give us more info???

This is Todd wife, I DROVE down to Hermosillo, MX ALL BY MYSELF.. never once did I feel in danger or threatened, just the opposite, I would do it again!
Jenn

I've driven through Nogales/Hermosillo and on to San Carlos many times. Prepare your paperwork and vehicle well, travel in daylight hours. Really no big deal. Furthermore, if you are a guest of a landowner on a guided/outfitted hunt, your safety is likely to be paramount.

No, I would not suggest traveling to Mexico and nosing around out in the boonies on your own. Rather, I would suggest you be in the company of locals who have a stake in your safety/enjoyment.

I had a Mexican cook ask me if it was really true that the American kids had to go thru a metal detector before entering class. When I told him yes, and said it was because of some mass shootings. He said and you are afraid of Mexico ?

Then he asked me, do the American school girls wear uniforms to go to school. And do they walk home after school wearing their catholic school dresses, like the Mexican kids do. I told him NO, if they did, every American petifile and child molester would have a hay day. HE ASKED ME WHAT A PETIFILE WAS!!!!!

From an American, who runs a hunting buisness in Mexico. I can tell you from the bottom of my heart. You guys have no idea what you are talking about!

TR
www.sonoranoutfitters.net

I have added a picture of a group of Mexicans about to rob and kill, two american hunters.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-11 AT 10:29AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/4326greg_john_group_coues.jpg

Here are a group of Mexicans about to rob and kill two American hunters. The old guy in the back is the ring leader!

Spoken like a man with a true financial interest in gathering clients for his business. What a bunch of B.S. Tell that to the families of the eight hunters shot and others missing and at least one of your fellow guides shot dead...What about those eight shot in the head and left in the back of that pickup truck as a message...are you just ignoring that incident or was it just some poor mexican cooks/crooks out target practicing and those 8 hunters just got in the line of fire.

You should be ashamed for insulting our intellegence and making it sound like mexico is only a playground for fun. You drag in religion, kids, insults/slurrs to culture and try and make it sound like the mexicans are doing the talking....

You should have left well enough alone and never made that insulting post...go see a shrink....more than once...

And you are suppose to be a Professional Outfitter?

)))).......>

Trophy hunter - I must agree-ignoring facts of death and comparing to school children is certainly a senseless comparison of what is going on in Mexico. I guess some understand and others minds are clouded by the good old American dollar opportunity!!!

You hit the nail on the head trophy...maybe some people should think before they post...very poor judgement todd

Dave...saw TX muleys pics from above...thought I would add a few. All these deer came from my Fathers ranch in west TX. Find right mgmt and there are some nice deer to be had.

As far as MX subject, I have lived within 5 miles of border for 30+ years, and have a pretty good understanding how things operate. Cant wait to one day go back and hunt, vacation, or even drive over and have dinner, just not for me at this point in time. JM

7829mm1.jpg

4994mm2.jpg

2578mm5.jpg

Cotton-those are some studs-really love that mass in the top one-I would love to hunt well managed Texas one day! thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Mexico Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy Sonoran mule deer and coues deer on over 400,000 acres of private ground.

DIY Coues Deer Hunts

Hunt 20k acre private ranch in Sonora for coues bucks ranging in the 100" class. Email Michael at [email protected].

Sonora Outfitters

We hunt on some of the best ranches in Sonora - known for holding trophy Desert Bighorn Sheep and trophy Mule Deer.

MADD Hunts

DIY coues buck hunts on 30 sq. miles of archery only, private lands. Nice accomodations, along with information and photos.

Back
Top Bottom