Darton

tailchasers

Long Time Member
After 22 yrs using my Bear I think it's time to replace. Will be switching a few seasons around next year that will give me more time in the field only now with a bow rather than a muzzy. I have no experience with a Darton outside of a friend of mine who has had a few Dartons with no complaints so I've been looking that route. Any good, bad, or ugly thoughts from those with more Darton experience than me? Sure would like to hear from ya.

Al

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I would try out several bows from all manufactures & see what feels good before making a decision, just my .02 cents.

Back in July of this year I had a Bowtech limb delaminate on me, still trying to get parts, and I ended up picking up a Xpedition Xcursion 7. Best bow I have ever shot. I considered a Darton but don't want to be carrying around any bow over 4lbs bare in the mountains, every ounce counts. The Xcursion comes in at 3.9. I bought it without shooting it first but a friend of mine highly recommended the thing and i respect his opinion. We have the same taste in bows. He did say Darton makes a really good bow but he hates the weight as well.

With all that said, go shoot em all and see what you like best. Unless... you're willing to take a risk.

I realize shooting several bows is in order. Just wanted to widdle down the list a bit. Many have priced themselves out of my range which helps and Darton seems to be one that flys under the radar.

Appreciate the comment about weight as was not aware of this. Thanks for the feedback gents...

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

The dartons are over 4 lbs. Not a big deal to some guys but it is to me.

One thing, do yourself a favor and buy a bow you can yolk tune. You'll thank me later.

I agree with all that has been said but can't stress this point enough.
You want my honest opinion, there are very few bad bows out there right now. It is a perfect time to upgrade your bow. The new lines for all manufacturers come out in November so you could wait if you like and see what is coming out. The best advice I could give you is head to the bow shop and shoot everything and I mean everything. If your bow shop doesn't carry a certain brand you want to try, shoot everything that bow shop has and then go to another one and shoot all they have, if they are different obviously. Shoot it blind bale style and focus on nothing but feel and comfort. How does your hand feel when you hold it? Any twang? Any thing that doesn't feel right?
You're right, some bows are just out of most peoples price range. However, many have mid range setups that are almost just as nice. I'd look into those. Hoyt actually just came out with a mid price point bow and it's actually pretty sweet and comfortable, to me anyways. It's called the Hoyt Powermax and the Nitrux is a new one this year that just came out but it's a little bit more. I have the philosophy though of "buy once, cry once" but that is not always an option.
I did shoot a Darton PRO3000 for the last 12 years or so and I loved it. I thought it was awesome. I decided to upgrade and I went and tried everything. To be honest, I didn't like the new Darton. That's just me. It had too much twang in it for me and wasn't very quiet. It might not be a problem for most but it was for me which brings me back to the best piece of advice I can give you is shoot them all. Even if some of them are out of your price point, maybe wait a little longer to upgrade and save up a little more so you get the bow you will be happy with. Maybe that is a better priced bow, you never know!

Sorry to ramble...

Shot a Darton for many years and shot lots of deer with it , good bow . Bought another bow for a backup after my son laid a handfull of arrows with broadheads on the Darton and cut the string ! The bow i bought was a PSE stinger the whole package was under $400 from bass pro on sale and it shoots so well its now my primary hunting bow and the Darton is my backup bow

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom