Daughter gets it done in New Mexico

bigharge

Inspired by the other post on here, wanted to share my daughters first pronghorn hunt as well.

Wasn’t sure we were going to make the trip. My grandad passed away last week and we had a long and exhausting week both physically and mentally. But decided that it would be a good way to clear our heads and get back to doing things we love, even if we just had a couple days.

Hunting these beautiful animals proved to be a challenge as always. Getting close to these guys in such a difficult open terrain takes some skill and a lot of luck. We spotted this particular group about a mile away and thought they were in a position that just might allow us to sneak in close enough. Trying to use the sun at our backs and what little grass or yucca plants we could sneak around, we were able to close the distance. Still in a tight spot because of the subtle elevation that helped us stalk in but now we had no shot from our knees and would be completely exposed if we stood upright. We decided to make a move once we were right at 200 yards and they had turned away from us. Sure enough though, as we raised up one of the does caught a glimpse of us and off they went with the buck close behind. But I knew from previous hunts that sometimes these bucks were curious enough to stop and look back at what was going on. Sure enough that’s what happened they kind of made a half circle and he stopped and turned towards us. He was slightly quarter and facing us. I ranged him at 340 quickly and told where to hold and she let it fly. I don’t think she was expecting to make the shot as she was absolutely surprised when he tumbled over. She was beyond excited as was her dad.

This was her first “big game” experience out of state and we couldn’t have been more blessed. A couple days of hiking, eating junk food, and sleeping at the truck was good for the soul and a memory I will always cherish. Hopefully her success will continue as she has an elk tag in Colorado next month that we are starting to prepare for next!

84A56FD5-C479-4B53-969E-E64448C2FFB9.jpeg

Outstanding! Congratulations to that young lady!

Very sorry for your loss. I have been reminded many times that we’re only here for a short time, and to take advantage of the seasons, especially with friends and family

Congrats to your daughter and you. Enjoy the youth hunts because they are 18 before you know it. I miss the days when I could take my daughter on these hunts.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom