Deakins Ranch (Craig)

TennVol

We drew a couple of Ranching for Wildlife either-sex elk tags this year on the Deakins Ranch (just west of Craig)

Anyone here ever hunt that ranch before? We've heard that in years past, either the place was thick with elk, or they weren't there at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

I'll probably be hunting the same time/hunt as you. I know nothing about the ranch, other than what I read on the DOW website and what I got in the mail.

If it snows, HARD, the ranch will have gillions of animals on it. The surrounding area is all over the counter unit for elk and all public land is hunted hard. All the private land, or most of it, is pretty good.

Off hand, I don't know when I'm hunting, but don't expect it to snow hard until about 11/1.

I THINK that we can also get a cow license, but I have not checked the regs yet...although one elk is enough work to hold me for awile.

I have a friend that hunted east of there last year and everything he saw was on private land or unreachable...(on the other side of the Yampa)

We've hunted a ranch that borders that place for a few years and what I can tell you is be patient!!! It's part of the migration route and the elk will show up. We have filled our tags on the first day and we have not filled our tags till 5 or 6 days into the hunt. One day....tons of elk, next not a bull or cow to be seen. The deer seem to be more resident though as we see them every day.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-07 AT 07:39AM (MST)[p]>I'll probably be hunting the
>same time/hunt as you.
>I know nothing about the
>ranch, other than what I
>read on the DOW website
>and what I got in
>the mail.
>
>If it snows, HARD, the ranch
>will have gillions of animals
>on it. The surrounding
>area is all over the
>counter unit for elk and
>all public land is hunted
>hard. All the private
>land, or most of it,
>is pretty good.
>
>Off hand, I don't know when
>I'm hunting, but don't expect
>it to snow hard until
>about 11/1.
>
>I THINK that we can also
>get a cow license, but
>I have not checked the
>regs yet...although one elk is
>enough work to hold me
>for awile.
>
>I have a friend that hunted
>east of there last year
>and everything he saw was
>on private land or unreachable...(on
>the other side of the
>Yampa)

The ranch offers additional an addtional cow tag for those who got a tag through the draw. I received my voucher in the mail over three weeks ago. You should have already received yours.

We'll see you up there in Nov!

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

Yep, you shamed me...I had to go look at the envelope again. I checked my calender at work and my dates weren't on it.

According to my envelope, I was drawn for Nov 14-18.

I haven't decided about an extra cow license. Elk are hard work. Although I have a friend in Craig that says he'll help.

Have you been in that area before?

I was also drawn for deer. It took 3 points and the season is 10/24-28 and 11/28-12/2.

Hey Art

How about giving me that Cow voucher ;-)

US Army
1992-2000 <----since we're sharing service dates LMAO!!!

Jason,

You're a big boy - draw your own tag!

BTW, don't be so jealous of service dates, you should have stayed in!:)

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

I just got back from the ranch and shot a buck. I hunted 6 times, in 4 days. I was all over most of the ranch. Except for one section...(which is where the good hunting is supposed to be). Get yourself a USGS Moffat County map...I think #7, (the one that has Craig on it) I will check. They are a topographic map.

The ranch has about 5 miles touching US 40, and goes almost all the way to the Yampa river. It is less than 10 miles from Craig.

It snowed about a week ago, but after 3 warms days, it was almost all gone when the hunting started. I would expect the snow to stck around for a bit, it it snows again.

You may want to keep and eye on http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gjt/
then click on Craig. It looks like snow...but it will be warm. Hopefully it will snow enought, higher up, to move/concentrate the elk.

The ranch was muddy at first, and then dried out. If it is wet, you will need chains. The mud is the slick type, where you just sit and spin. The roads are mostly all trails, but none that are all that steep or non-negotiable. The ranch is easy to find your way around on.

It is not terribly steep terrain. In parts of the ranch there is a road on every ridge and/or draw.

I found them to be pleasant and reasonable and the seemed to point people in the right direction...to locate game.

I had no problem at all finding does, and small bucks or herds of antelopes. I passed on about 7 smaller (2 and 3 pointers) prior to shooting the one that I shot. I was about ready to shoot a 3 pointer, but I should have taken the shot that I had...instead I expected him to travel in a certain direction and give me a better shot (he went a dif way). He was a beast w/his antlers a foot taller than his ears, and also 2-3" wider than his ears.

Most, if not all, doe hunters only went out once, or twice. Some of the deer hunters only went out that much. I must have did it the hard way as it took me a while to get mine. I'd some some people at check-in and then never see em again as they went home.

My 2nd day, I walked into the walk-in area and saw 3 herds of elk come in...2-3 minutes or so apart, in a line, the first bunch had 81 in it, then 12, and 31. Guess where the big bulls where? At the end of each string, w/them getting progreesively bigger. There were no BIG bulls in the herd, just some typical CO 6 pointers.

According to the gentelman at the check-in station, in the next week, or so, a ton of elk will come in and there will be elk all over the ranch. He did say something about them being pushed out to the west, by the hunters though.

You'll need a sled and/or cart...or hunt close to a road (easy enough done.

There is no hunting of meadows or pastures...and no driving on them either. But, the wheat fields are huntable. There are areas that have been brush-hogged, to get rid of the sage. The grass has grown fairly thick in those places.

Tenn Vol...PM me if you have any Q's. Also, you know why they picked that orange don't you...that way they can go straight to the game, w/o having to change, after their public service.

BTW...I retired 12/02, from the CO-ANG, but I can't collect till age 60...eat your heart out.

472667373b17059a.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-07 AT 09:37AM (MST)[p]Guys,

Never hunted the ranch, but did just get back from the craig area. We were hunting north of town and after the snowstorm on opening day of 2nd season the elk were coming down from Black Mtn and Sand point pretty good seeing them all over Hwy 13 at night. My buddy saw a 4x4 in the middle of the day around 7500 ft. Don't know what the warmer weather will do to them, but I thought I'd let you know what we were seeing.

Nice deer, very similiar to mine, except you got eye guard.

nrueh

How did your Hunt turn out, I drew a license this year and am hoping it will be a good hunt. Hardantler

>How did your Hunt turn out,
>I drew a license this
>year and am hoping it
>will be a good hunt.
>Hardantler

Our hunt didn't turn out too good. The weather was terrible (way too hot) and the elk only showed up on the property one afternoon and it turned into a shooting gallery. We were too far away from the action to take a safe shot so we came home empty handed with four tags in our pockets. There were way too many hunters on too small a piece of land. I won't ever go back.

MSgt, USAF
1984 to present

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom