Deboned elk meat in fridge

fullthrottle

Very Active Member
How long can I keep fresh deboned elk meat in the fridge? Harvested yesterday, don’t have time to process it for about a week. What do you think.

Should be great. I always seem to be busy when I return from hunts. I have 2 freezers and freeze meat for a month or 2 before I have time to process. Never had a problem!

A friend of mine would debone the meat and wrap it tight in plastic bags so no air could get in. Then he would put the meat in the fridge for 30 days to age. He would pull it out every week or so and drain any fluid out of the bags. Seemed like too much work to me but he swore by it. He did cook great deer steaks.

I have a little beer fridge which will hold a boned out deer or antelope. Works great, and I can butcher at my leisure.

just keep a close EYE on it. let it breath. process it a little at a time if possible. drain it and rotate it so it can bleed

Watch for excess moisture. If it's not directly on the rack place it on a cookie rack or rotate daily. Don't let any one side sit against a solid surface. Don't be afraid of white mold, watch for green and especially black. A cloth dampened with vinegar and wiped across the surface works if white mold scares you. When you're ready to process or eat trim away the hardened exterior.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom