Decent Scatter Gun For My Lady

slamdunk

So it's almost Christmas and Meg said she'd like a shotgun.
She's new to shooting, got her first muzzleloader and centerfire rifle this year but enjoys shooting clays when we venture out occasionally.
She's 5'9" not super strong, so I am thinking maybe an over and under for weight, shorter length and weight without an action.

Her skill level wouldn't know the difference between a high Benelli or a Mossberg so there's no sense in breaking the bank.

I don't think she'd do well with a pump, so I'm thinking either a semi auto or over/under.

Any suggestions?

You might consider the Weatherby SA-08 in 20 gauge for her. For the price, it is a great gun and many guys love it.

I just bought a Winchester SX-4 and looking forward to hunting with it. It is a bit more money than the Weatherby, but might be a good option as well. A 20 gauge in the SX-4 or a used SX-3 would be a joy for her to shoot with little felt recoil.

You’re lucky. Most women I meet aren’t going to get into guns and I’ve seen clays be a lot of fun for someone that’s new to the idea. About the only one I can think of is a Beretta A400. I shot one once and it has low recoil which should be good for a new shooter.

You’re lucky. Most women I meet aren’t going to get into guns and I’ve seen clays be a lot of fun for someone that’s new to the idea. About the only one I can think of is a Beretta A400. I shot one once and it has low recoil which should be good for a new shooter.
I don't know if I'm lucky or not, she can get pretty mean on occasion......I believe my luck comes from her being an absolutely horrible shot!! ?

Gas guns are milder to shoot but messy and a little more cumbersome (loading with gloves, etc). O/U's are sexier but kick. Careful of a cheap o/u; sometimes one with crappy fit will "bite you" (bruised cheek, etc).

There are a number of recoil reducing devices if she decides to start shooting more. Probably not something for a field gun though.

My wife was on the CO womens state trapshooting team for a while. She started with a Beretta auto but likes her Brownings now.

If it was strictly a field gun for upland birds, I would second the 20 ga o/u.

You're on the right track with an O/U but don't bother with high power loads or she will never improve.
Be prepared to drop some coin since O/U's are more $ than the cheap-azz brands of pumps and autos..... more money but way way better and reliable.

Zeke

I bought my daughter a CZ Redhead Deluxe 20ga O/U w. 26" barrels. Very nice O/U for under $1k.
20160907_201759.jpg

Lancetkenyon,

That's a homerun all the way with that gun!
Well made and reasonably priced.

I too would stick with a 20 gauge except for waterfowl but even then a 20 would work on decoyed birds.

Zeke

Browning Auto 5 or Benelli Montefeltro Auto in 20 Gauge-mild recoil and the ladies like them.

The CZ above is another great choice. Good gun for the money.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom