Declare ammo when flying?

If you don;t declare it and they find it you will either go to jail or they will confiscate it, and you will most likely miss your flight

If you don;t declare it and they find it you will either go to jail or they will confiscate it, and you will most likely miss your flight

Huh???? Where did you hear about having to declare it and possibly going to jail??? Sounds like fake news.

Here is the TSA link outlining the rules:

Some airlines also have their own guidelines regarding ammunition, but nobody is going to jail for not declaring ammunition in checked bags.

Had it in checked luggage once, pulled out and told it had to be declared and placed in a marked bag. I always tell them now. Some seem to care, others don’t.

Rich

Only problem I ever had was not having it in the factory packaging. Leaving Montana with one less round. TSA came and got me at the gate. I told them they could have the others because I wasn't missing my flight. No more plastic ammo boxes for reloads!

Thanks silverflipper. After reading they TSA thing. That was the first question that came to mind. I may need to secure some factory boxes if I need to fly somewhere

Silverflipperdo you mean you had 1 empty spot with no round and that was no ok? I have had loose ammo flagged. I always use original boxes. Never heard of a marked bag.

The biggest problem is airline people often have no idea. Get the wrong employee and even if they are wrong you make things worse by pointing it out. There is no one to call to report a problem and even if you prove yourself right and they disagree what can you do? I had this happen, I was right but they made e do it there way very nearly did not get to AK.

I have flown internationally, several times, with reloaded ammo in plastic containers in a locked container....no problem.

"and I put three rounds into Kate Mc Cannon"

I've always put it in the case with the gun. I catch enough crap at the airport as it is.
I swear I was on "the list" for a decade or so.
Or maybe I just look like a drug molester.

I have flown several times and never had problems with ammo in a plastic box, but I always made a label of the caliber, bullet weight etc. and taped it to the ammo box, just like factory boxes. I hand load all my ammo so I never have "original boxes".

The plastic box wasn't the problem. It's the people working TSA. Left Vegas no problem, Billings it's a problem. Even had TSA in Billings ask if our bows were unloaded! Just my experience.

Yes - according to the TSA, you have to declare/tell the airline about it.

A7C16F1E-D2F1-4EBE-AD90-59CC0AF10CF2.png

At CLE they sometimes freak out. I have been told some CRAZY things. Like I cannot fly with a gun in a golf club case because it doe snot look like a gun case. No ammo in with archery gear (which I am doing this time). If I do not have to I will not. I have yet to see TSA say it but I probably will declare it. When you declare they make you sign form saying gun is unloaded, hard to sign that with no gun.

I recall years ago we shipped bullets to a ranch in Montana because of the amount.(2500) rounds. Obviously it was a problem or we wouldn't of done it. Like has been mentioned, every airline interpret the rules a little different.

Not so much the airlines as TSA. Used to live in Tampa and felt like a criminal every time I flew out of there with a firearm.

Wait until you try to go over the boarder if you think the TSA is tough try Canada. All your T's better be crossed and i's dotted. it is just better to declare it than take a chance of missing a flight because you were trying to skirt the law.

Yes - according to the TSA, you have to declare/tell the airline about it.

View attachment 12118
I've flown with rifle ammunition a half a dozen times. I've always declared it to err on the side of caution. Each time they have simply said ok and dropped it on the belt. No sticker, no paper work, no tag, no notes on the computer. My guess is on domestic flights it doesn't matter unless there are specific airlines that take issue with it. Flying international is another story.

I think I have always told them. I have only flown with reloads in plastic boxes or a soft ammo folder. Leaving Whitehorse last year the guy did notice on the scan that some was loose and said they had to be secured in a container. He helped me dig threw the bag to secure them. We found 3 and he said that is all there is, I said no think there is more and he said no thats it that is good. Pretty sure he knew there was more but didnt' care

I know your joking on the residue. But I did have a guy scanning my stuff once and he was willing to talk about what he was doing and nice! I asked about the gunpowder residue and having cloths and bags with me at long range sessions. He said no even military people with LOTS of gun fire around them won't trigger this type of scan

I've flown a bunch for hunts over the last 40 years or so and have never used anything but plastic boxes for my ammo. That includes trips to several Canadian provinces, Africa and New Zealand. I have always packed it in a check-in bag for easy access in case the bag got flagged. That happened only once that I know of on a flight out of LAX. It's possible a bag was examined by someone out of my sight, of course.

The only other time I've had a problem was in Whitehouse, Yukon. I had been there on a fishing trip, and the camp owner gave a round of some odd-ball European caliber so I could have dies made for him. I tossed the lone cartridge in a side pocket of my carry-on bag. Naturally, the scanner picked it up, but since the checked bags were still nearby, the guy let me move the cartridge to my rod case.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom