Dedicated Hunter Program

X

xbnelson

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-07 AT 05:26PM (MST)[p]Is anyone aware of the cap of 10,000 dedicated hunters possibly being met by next year?
How does everybody feel about non-residents being a part of the cap limit? Non-Reseidents are and will be taking a Residents spot in this program. The DWR is trying to figure out how they are going to keep the number at 10,000. Drawing? Preference Points? I am just wondering how anyone else feels about this.

www.wildlife.utah.gov/dh/news.php

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-07 AT 11:31AM (MST)[p]I like the dedicated hunter program, this is my 7 year in the program, I hope that it never meets the cap, if it does then the ones that have been in the program should be able to re sign up first, before any non resident is allowed in.
I will be cussed for this but change all hunts to go with the program: example Dedicated hunters put in time to have the extra priviledge to hunt the different seasons. Why not make all hunts this way, if you want to hunt deer, elk, etc.. then before you are given a tag you need to put in 8 hrs of service each year, or 4 hours. This would keep many party hunters from putting in wife, grandmother, grandfather, sister, etc.. because then only those that really want to hunt will put in the time. I am all about weeding out those that dont want to hunt, and let those that want to hunt-hunt. Without pricing people out.
It happens all over the state where,avid hunter puts in everyone he knows for the hunts to get the chance to draw and be a part of the hunt, lets find a way to keep Joe Blow from putting in all of his relatives and leave tags for those that want to hunt.

cantkillathing, I like where you are going with a few tweaks. Make it incentive based, meaning, for every 8 hrs of service you get a point for what ever pool you choose to put it in(LE elk for example). That way, those who are willing to step up and help the DWR and wildlife are rewarded for their time and effort.

PRO

I am glad that I finally got a couple responses. I wasnt sure if anyone out there even cared.
I have been in this program since 1998 and really hate to see it reach a cap and the go to a drawing.

I would really like to know if the NON-residents are really putting in Service hours,,,,,,,, or just paying the $20 per hour. I really hate giving the DWR any money because as we all know it just goes into some "general fund" that turns out to be B.S.
Are they getting drive time to come to these projects????

I really think that a program like this one should be for Residents 1st

I am also liking the proposals that you guys have mentioned. It really would weed out a bunch of Party Hunting

I wish that they would do a program like this for Elk.........

Do they let non-residents in the Ded Hunter Program? I have been a member for 14 years and didn't know that.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-28-07 AT 05:19PM (MST)[p]
They definatly are paying the price,,,,,,,,,,,,, but thats not the point.

www.wildlife.utah.gov/dh/overview.php

This is off of the DWR's web site.

Cost

The cost of joining the Dedicated Hunter Program pays for a Certificate of Registration (COR) and deer permits to hunt all three general buck deer seasons during the three-year enrollment period. Permits are not issued until program requirements are met.

Adult, Resident & Nonresident: $195 & $1,032
Youth (14?17 years old), Resident & Nonresident: $120 & $799
Lifetime License holders: Adult $75, Youth (14?17 years old) $37.50

I had no clue they did that...Good info..I don't know what to think about that.

I was a non-resident Dedicated Hunter that now lives in Utah. Yes, I did my service hours and paid $1038.00 plus gas and wear and tear on my equipment and vehicle. I am still in the program and will now pay around $80.00 less to hunt three seasons for three years rather than the cost of one non-resident tag for one season.(If drawn). My sons live here and that was an excellent way to spend more time with them. I had to wait until I could afford to retire in order to move here. I would probably fall over if I knew exactly what I have spent on non-resident tags in Utah since 1967. You see, most people join this program love to hunt and one should not be frowned upon because of their place of residence.

At a $1000 dollars a pop for Nr per year, I see the Membership going pass that 10,000 mark they wouldn't turn down the money.

I also think that those of us that were in it on the grass roots should always have the first chancr to sign up again. I do alot of hunting in surrounding states and I love the flexibility of that the porgram offers to "our residents". There has to be some advantage to living in Utah and if we let the non-residents take the spots then there won't be much left for us. I talked with the lady at the Springville DWR and she said that 50% or 5,000 of the dedicated hunters are in Utah county.FYI

I agree. There should be some sort of grandfather clause in it to keep the people in it that have made it successful. Otherwise pretty soon, once your 3 years are up you are S.O.L.

Guys, I have to respectfully disagree about the grandfather clause in the DH program. I have been in the DH program for about 10 years, and love it. I have been to a number of meeetings where the future of the DH program has been discussed. On one occassion, it was discussed that MANY people had complained about the program, stating that it was "unfair" and gave DHers "special rights and privileges" and that dedicated hunters shouldnt be guaranteed a tag every year, and that we should have to draw a tag like everyone else, to be able to participate. The Wildlife Board wanted the DWR to address these items. The only saving grace about the DH program at the time was that it wasn't exclusionary...anyone could sign up. These lazy slugs that were complaining could get the same "special rights and privileges" if they were willing to join and put in a little effort. Since then the program has grown immensely. I would love to be "grandfathered in" forever, but if that were to happen, the DH program would become exclusionary, and I fear, wouldnt be allowed to function as it presently does.
I also understand that the DH program is "capping".
I am very interested to see how it will be handled.
We all need to go to the RAC meetings and let our voices be heard. With all the good that is being done through the DH program, maybe we could get the cap raised?

I've read all of your comments and I believe the DH program is great for what it does. As a non-resident, I won't participate due to the high cost and the rules governing allowing only two deer killed in the three years. If there is no cap placed, then do it by areas or increase the cap. My two cents! Question? For all those people who report that they have killed there two deer in the first two years, during the third year, they just do the DH time and set at home? Also, what keeps the person honest? There's no check stations, and some of the areas are huge. What keeps the person from shooting a deer during all the three seasons and only reporting during his last two years that he got one during rifle season? I have my reasons for asking but just want hear your comments.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-07 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]Let me take a stab at answering your questions:

1.) A DH has to complete 8 hours of service(or pay for each hour) for his/her tag the 1st year. 16 hours (total of 24 hrs)must be completed and a DWR RAC meeting attended prior to a tag being issued in year two and subsequently year 3(depending on harvest). This methodology has changed since the program was first introduced to ensure what you are implying no longer can occur.

2.A) Poaching is poaching and we have to police ourselves and others. I would like to think that most DH are above average sportsmen with stronger hunting ethics - no doubt there are likely exceptions.

2.B)Building off of 2.A... An uncut/unfilled tag must be turned back into the DWR by a defined date each year. If you do not return your unfilled tag you are debited with a harvest against your "two animals in three years" as part of the program.

I too am a participant and strong advocate for the DH program. I am not an advocate for this program being availalbe to NR hunters (sorry guys, but I agree with above - there has to be some advantage to living in UT other than just a price break!) I hate to see this program cap and possibly go to a points/draw format - I think it would be unfortunate for the program and the hunters! There is a TREMENDOUS amount of good that comes from this program and it's participants each year!

The question is, how many NR are in the program? I have no idea of the number, but for a guess I bet it's less than 300. The number of NR should be capped to meet the statewide limits already imposed for big game. If that number is 10% then that should be the cap number. Yes it is your state, but the areas being hunted are mostly Federal property, which by past forums has been discussed. Hunters are hunters, When you divide our ranks then you weaken all of us. For those NR who participate should be applauded not discouraged. I wish my state had the same program, I wouldn't have a problem with NR participating. I would thank them. My 2 cents!

I agree with Mickey.
If a non-resident wants to pay the fees, and more importantly, do the service hours, more power to them. Just cap the number of non-resident DH tags proportionately (which would be substanstially smaller than 10%). If Utah is going to issue "X" number of tags to NR, take a percentage of THOSE tags and offer DHNR tags. Every time a NR comes into Utah to hunt he/she is bringing money into the state. If a NR is going to be hunting Utah, they may as well be "helping the herd" doing conservation projects dont you think? I dont think a NR should be allowed to "buy" hours; they should be required to complete service hours. As long as non-residents are allowed to hunt Utah, (and Utahns are allowed to hunt other states) it may as well be in a program like the DH.

-----------------------------------------------------
"How is it that every huge buck and bull has hours of video and hundreds of pics taken of it, but an idiot breaking the law never does"?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom