Deep Creeks Mule Deer Scouting

DJ_85

I just spent 4 days scouting for miles deer on the deep creeks, right after a full moon…? We Hit granite canyon, trout creek canyon, Scott’s basin, pole canyon and the face of Haystack. We glassed the north end of the range on the way out.

We’re no stranger to putting in miles. Lots of deer sign around 7000 ft, and a couple fork’d horns and does in trout creek canyon. Glassed well sheds in the basin.

Are the bigger Muleys staying out east on the desert? Or what do anyone with experience out there recommend? Very cool remote area! Thanks in advance!

That’s a tough unit these days! Not a ton of deer out there anymore. Lots of lions and elk, which may have impacted deer numbers. It’s a beautiful area to hunt, but mature bucks are slim to none anymore. I last hunted it 2 years ago, and we only saw 1 buck that was better than a 2-point. We hunted high and glassed for days on Haystack and Rocky Peak. Came home with tags in our pockets.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feed back. I’ll have to update you after the hunt. I’ve got a few hot tips from 1 local on some bucks on the flats!

Tough unit, ultra low deer numbers. High predation. I am told lots of reservation killing of mature deer on winter range to the West prevents bucks from reaching age class. Remote, rugged and beautiful.

Tough unit, ultra low deer numbers. High predation. I am told lots of reservation killing of mature deer on winter range to the West prevents bucks from reaching age class. Remote, rugged and beautiful.
I have guided elk hunts out on that rez for 20 years. The tribal members are very restricted on taking deer, it's definitely not a free for all.
Lions and coyotes are the issue out there, no one hunts them. And No, the outfitter isn't killing them all as some speculate, there hasn't been outfitter tags for deer given out there for decades.

I have guided elk hunts out on that rez for 20 years. The tribal members are very restricted on taking deer, it's definitely not a free for all.
Lions and coyotes are the issue out there, no one hunts them. And No, the outfitter isn't killing them all as some speculate, there hasn't been outfitter tags for deer given out there for decades.
Going off what people who live there have told me. I have been scratching my head on why the unit has been unreasonable tough hunting since I hunted it for the first time in 1993. This was after the big deer die off from winter if 92. It has incredible high country and a massive winter range. Maybe we can blame cheat grass again. One thing everyone agrees on is predation. Elk have more than tripled since the 90s in my opinion.

When you say restricted, by what definition?

When you say restricted, by what definition?
I made a phone call today to a tribal council member so I am quoting the correct information.
Each senior citizen in the tribe receives a doe tag in which there are approximately 10 and 5 buck tags go up for draw within the tribe.
Approximately 15 deer total are harvested.

I did see a wild amount of cat tracks and talked with one local about the goshute tribe pushing large herds of elk to the public east side. There are definitely deer there. The 8 deer we saw were from following tracks we found that were somewhat fresh.

Going off what people who live there have told me. I have been scratching my head on why the unit has been unreasonable tough hunting since I hunted it for the first time in 1993. This was after the big deer die off from winter if 92. It has incredible high country and a massive winter range. Maybe we can blame cheat grass again. One thing everyone agrees on is predation. Elk have more than tripled since the 90s in my opinion.
They have grown the elk herd on the rez to between 500-600 head and are trying to keep it there.
Yes, there are also more elk on the public lands than in the 90's as a result, It's up to the state to manage that side of course.

I figured I’d follow up on this hunt. I spent time on top of pole canyon, hardscrabble, on all the creeks, Scott’s basin, hiked haystack in 1-1/2 feet of snow… The deer are very few and nothing very mature beyond a small 3 point. There are some 180” plus bucks on the desert but they are staying in private farm land. Any tracks going out headed to any sand you can find. I talked with one local that said monsters are out there, but they’re ghosts. If you can catch them going in/out of the farm land, that’s your best bet, but they are midnight to 3am eaters. Hard hunt! But very very cool area. Found arrow heads and quite a few small sheds on the desert. Coyote everywhere.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom