Deep Cycle Battery Q's

stinky

The battery for my Canoe is KAPUT!!! It is 6-7 years old and won't hold a charge. My trolling motor is only 35# (a small one). Will a standard car battery work? IOW, is there any real dif between a car/truck battery and a deep cycle battery, comparing apples to apples....say a battery for a diesel truck. If I use the battery from my truck, will be be stranded on the lake?
John 14:6

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-12 AT 02:16PM (MST)[p]Stink,

As I understand it a deep cycle battery is designed to survive main cycles of charging and draining. A regular truck type battery is not designed to do that too many times and will have a much shorter life span.

If you have an Interstate Batteries outlet in your area you can pick up blems on the cheap.

A standard battery is designed to provide a lot of juice in a short period of time - ie; when starting a car. A deep cycle doesn't do that as well but holds its juice longer and is better for running accessories that require a slow, steady drain. Either will work but for your application - running a trolling motor - a deep cycle will hold its charge longer. I agree with the previous poster - if you have access check out Interstate. They make some fantastic deep cycle batteries at pretty good prices.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom