Deer GMU 68/681

Servehim

Very Active Member
Heading up to start scouting these units end of this month and hoping for a little wisdom. It will be a 3rd or 4th season tag , I'm hearing Trickle Mtn in 681 is a good starting point. I'll be reaching out to Biologist and Game Warden but nothing like a bit of MM Team advise. Thanks guys.

Just A Little help from Colorado guys would put a big smile on my face . Want to order my topos for closer research but hope to get it fine tuned a bit prior to ordering. Thanks Jim

So which one will it be? A 3rd or 4th season tag?

Scouting next month with be useless come those seasons.

LAST EDITED ON May-03-16 AT 08:42AM (MST)[p]The BLM will probably be better in Nov if there is deep snow up high. If it is dry, look higher for drainages more than a mile from any road/atv trail. Those units have roads almost everywhere.

By the 3rd season, the deer will be moving on to the winter range (BLM). Trickle Mtn. is a good place to start, or the area around Devil's Knob and Tracy Canyon.

At one point, I considered this unit for a 4th season hunt. The deer herd is in good shape, but the success rate for the 4th hunt isn't particularly high - around 50%.

If you are talking deer there are only 13 or 14 tags for 4th season. There are lots of deer, just not much over 150. I had that tag 2 years ago. Very weather dependent. The elk are scattered and scared.

Yes, it's a deer hunt. I put in for 4th with 13 NR and put my son in for 3rd with 7 in hopes of doing a back to back hunt together,sorry about being unclear. Looks like Cody my son should draw and I'm on the edge. I recognize that deer won't be where they are now in November but want to familiarize myself with roads and overall real estate in the unit. Plan to find some spots where I can get away from folks and glass rolling hills in sage. I don't know the unit but that's my initial thoughts. RR I understand you know the unit very well, any chance you could point me to a nice area I could take my clan camping ( late May) hopefully a lake that wouldn't be to far from where I need to be in scouting for deer hunt. Thanks SO MUCH

>By the 3rd season, the deer
>will be moving on to
>the winter range (BLM).
>Trickle Mtn. is a good
>place to start, or the
>area around Devil's Knob and
>Tracy Canyon.
>
>At one point, I considered this
>unit for a 4th season
>hunt. The deer herd
>is in good shape, but
>the success rate for the
>4th hunt isn't particularly high
>- around 50%.

Thanks Prime, hopefully later dates and weather might improve that . I'll check my maps tonight and find the other two spots you mentioned. I appreciate the help.

>If you are talking deer there
>are only 13 or 14
>tags for 4th season. There
>are lots of deer, just
>not much over 150. I
>had that tag 2 years
>ago. Very weather dependent. The
>elk are scattered and scared.
>

RR, my passion is hunt elk with a bow and have struck out in Wyo, Az and my home state of NM. I get that 68 is OTC for elk, I guess the question is ...is it a waste of time and money to purchase a bow tag for elk? I still have a couple opportunities to chase elk in Sept in Nev and Utah but would need to get really lucky. A fellow MM Freind sent me a PM to contact you about a camp spot I referenced a minute ago.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-16 AT 05:01PM (MST)[p]>Servehim, did you end up drawing
>this tag? If so, how
>many points did you have?
>

Buckmaster
My 16 year old son applied for a 3rd season non-resident tag with 4 points and didn't draw. This unit had "declining" point creep for non residents over the past few years.

2012 80% of those with 4 points drew.
2013 5% of those with 3 points drew.
2014 38% of those with 3 points drew.
2015 56% of those with 3 points drew.

non-res tag quotas stayed at 50 over this period.

Hey Buckmaster, looks like I'll have to wait another year ( didn't see a 500 code) with 13 NR pts for 4th hunt. Good news is my son drew 3rd with 7pts. Leaving next week to spend a week learning the unit. Might work out for the best as a buddy of mine his been hounding me to get out to Kentucky late Nov to hunt Whitetail. Sure would like one on my trophy wall. Lol. I've got 3 areas I want to look at next week up in 68/681 . Can't wait?. Any words of wisdom if I should purchase an OTC elk tag as I hunt with my son?

Hey Buckmaster, looks like I'll have to wait another year ( didn't see a 500 code) with 13 NR pts for 4th hunt. Good news is my son drew 3rd with 7pts. Leaving next week to spend a week learning the unit. Might work out for the best as a buddy of mine his been hounding me to get out to Kentucky late Nov to hunt Whitetail. Sure would like one on my trophy wall. Lol. I've got 3 areas I want to look at next week up in 68/681 . Can't wait?. Any words of wisdom if I should purchase an OTC elk tag as I hunt with my son? Sorry you didn't pull a tag, it always hurts.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom