Deer points

What are you waiting for? If you're waiting for some kind of guarantee of a 200+" buck, there is no such thing. And waiting for the mule deer herd to "recover" will be like watching a pot boil.

With that many points there is likely only one hunt you can't draw. So, if it was me, I'd pick the best unit I could, and get the Multi-Season tag. Spend as much time as you can going after what is likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience... And if you come away with a giant, all the better. Otherwise, pick a unit that you have hoped to hunt and go hunt it.

I'll throw you a bone though- the only thing I WOULD wait for is if I had certain people I was hoping to share the experience with and it didn't seem like this year would work for them, or they weren't old enough or something...

So If you were sitting with 24 points for mule deer,Would you go for it this year or would you wait in hopes that the herds will come back in the near future????.In Utah!
My only questions is this: What do you want out of the hunt? If you are able to dedicate the time this year to having an awesome experience, I would burn those points and go hunt. If you can't find a buck this coming year that will satisfy you, I would suggest that you won't be able to find that buck any other year either.

If your life circumstances would make hunting this year difficult, then don't cash in the points.

It's interesting that there is still one resident who bought points last year with 27 points. That means at least one other person also hopes that things get better going forward.
Plenty of us have banked on a brighter future than what we see right now. Unfortunately the increase of "trophy hungry" hunters and declining game herds, doesn't bode well for such optimism.
As has been stated, I'd suggest if next year's schedule is favorable, go for it!

Last edited:
I’d get after it. Mule deer are struggling and that ain’t changing anytime soon. Fortunately for you you will be hunting a quality unit we’re at least hunting pressure is regulated. Oak creek and paunsagunt muzzle loader would be on my short list.

Oak Creek, oAk Creek, oaK Creek….. more people need to put in for OAK CREEK…. Hurry up already! Hot spotting ?, you can thank Shawn Morgan for that. Did you all hear about the awesome bucks spotted on Vernon and Books this winter?

62F239CF-0C2F-4487-A64C-AEDE092B4B73.jpeg

Last edited:
You guys aren’t doing any favors to the rest of us High Point holders by hotspotting a unit.
What makes you think this guy really has that many points.
We can’t even view his profile.

Hotspotting a LE unit? Never really thought that was a thing.

Yeah, just like the North Cache bull shot from a chair lift… Be sure to stack your points up on that unit so y’all can kill a bull that’s already dead?

Believe me it is a thing and it’s real.
The only people doing it are the ones that don’t don’t have a clue or a snowballs chance drawing.

35 total tags last year on that unit. That is archery, muzzy, rifle, and multi-season combined. All LE units have incredibly bad odds, this one might be the worst. If people want to jump into that pool, I hope they can tread water for a long, long time.

I hope you're able to draw a tag out there, and you'll share your experience with those of us that never will. I really like seeing the cool hunts others get to go on.

Believe me it is a thing and it’s real.
The only people doing it are the ones that don’t don’t have a clue or a snowballs chance drawing.
Oakcreek is long past the "hotspot" phase, it's pretty established as one of if not thee best unit right now. The Hotspot phase happened about 5 years ago. You know about the time you got interested in it.

Oakcreek is long past the "hotspot" phase, it's pretty established as one of if not thee best unit right now. The Hotspot phase happened about 5 years ago. You know about the time you got interested in it.

It's not like someone just posted 10 magnificent bucks off a certain unit ?

Years ago, the Thursday before labor day weekend dad and I were finishing a house in Oakley.

I went camping. Monday he had stage 4 lung cancer. He was 52.

Man Makes plans, God laughs.

Burn them
Good post hoss.
I think that’s what the OP was asking for. I didn’t read anywhere he asked for which units to apply for.
You guys are all correct there are no secrets anymore.
Slams post about units getting shot out is spot on.
Seems like the biggest animals are being killed by outfitters guides and spotters. There are logos in almost every pic.
Not a great outlook for me a 65-year-old DIY hunter with only 25 non res points.
I’m not looking for sympathy and honestly my post about hotspotting was mostly me being sarcastic. Sorry if I rubbed any of you the wrong way.

bucks. As far as the original question about applying now or waiting for the herds to rebound I’m not sure what the answer is.
It seems like antler quality in mule deer has been falling off the last couple years I think largely due to the extended drought.
If the drought conditions persist then yes it may be wise to hold out and hope for conditions to improve.
However if you can afford to hire an outfitter that knows your unit of choice well you would probably be ok. Unfortunately as we all know these units are already overrun by outfitters.
I’m not sure how many resident points it takes to draw these tags but obviously you have been just applying for points only correct?

Good post hoss.
I think that’s what the OP was asking for. I didn’t read anywhere he asked for which units to apply for.
You guys are all correct there are no secrets anymore.
Slams post about units getting shot out is spot on.
Seems like the biggest animals are being killed by outfitters guides and spotters. There are logos in almost every pic.
Not a great outlook for me a 65-year-old DIY hunter with only 25 non res points.
I’m not looking for sympathy and honestly my post about hotspotting was mostly me being sarcastic. Sorry if I rubbed any of you the wrong way.

bucks. As far as the original question about applying now or waiting for the herds to rebound I’m not sure what the answer is.
It seems like antler quality in mule deer has been falling off the last couple years I think largely due to the extended drought.
If the drought conditions persist then yes it may be wise to hold out and hope for conditions to improve.
However if you can afford to hire an outfitter that knows your unit of choice well you would probably be ok. Unfortunately as we all know these units are already overrun by outfitters.
I’m not sure how many resident points it takes to draw these tags but obviously you have been just applying for points only correct?
Good post, thank you.

Without naming the obvious, you do realize drought was present there as well, not just the other units?

The best units are creamed off for a while, plain and simple, while another still kicked over a dozen two hunnits during the same "drought".
Something to think about...

I want to thank all of you that replied to my post,I am going to burn my points this year so you younger guys can move up.I am a DIY hunter I don't need a outfitter.I more than likely will do the muzzleloader hunt for one of the units im still pondering witch one.I received a bunch of PM messages and some real good advise Thanks,I really do wish all of you guys and gals the best of luck ,We all have one thing in common for sure WE LOVE TO HUNT.

Last edited:
I want to thank all of you that replied to my post,I am going to burn my points this year so you younger guys can move up.I am a DIY hunter I don't need a outfitter.I more than likely will do the muzzleloader hunt for one of the units im still pondering witch one.I received a bunch of PM messages and some real good advise Thanks,I really do wish all of you guys and gals the best of luck ,We all have one thing in common fore sure WE LOVE TO HUNT.
The best of luck Sir, we'll wait for your pics and stories.
Go get the best buck for your bang ?

Last edited:
I'm like Buckhorn; a NR with 25 pts, but I'm only 50 y/o. I haven't been in a rush to burn my UT points and have held off applying the last few years with the hopes they'd make some regulatory changes to baiting, cameras, and scopes on muzzleloaders. I've been burning points in other states as fast as I can. I may wait a few more years before applying to see if the regulatory changes actually makes a difference. Although I may apply this year...we'll see. When I retire I may become a resident for a couple years just to burn some points and hunt as a resident.

Henries is down, Pauns is down, your safe bet this year is Oak Creek, Books, Vernon, and Diamond.

Maybe a late season Zion… actually I heard Thousand Lakes is on the up and up. ?‍♂️

The Deer Herd Has Been Getting Worse Since 1972!

And There Are People Thinking it Will Get Better In Future Years because of One PISSCUTTER Rule/Law made This Year?

Hey utfireman?

How Much Time Did You Spend in the Book Cliffs This Year?

WARNING! Be very careful on what advise you take. Some people will intentionally try to lead you in the wrong direction to protect their own interest.
Obviously some people have a problem with filtering sarcasm from posts on this site. If someone decides on a unit solely off information that they read on here then they deserve a mediocre unit.

If the OP or others are questioning on either hunting or not, I say go hunt. The herds aren’t getting any better, the drought continues to plaque us, and predators keep increasing. I use to see to many people waiting for things only to be found dead at age 30,40,50, and 60. It was a common occurrence to hear their family members stating how they were waiting to do a specific event, and now they’ll never get to enjoy it together.

If you have the points and desire to hunt then go hunt, find the best unit that you can draw and GO HUNT! Don’t wait for uncertainties….

Last edited:
The problem with OC for non res is there is only one bonus tag and that’s for rifle. No bonus tag for archery or muzzy.
With all the talk about Henry’s and Pauns being down it’s going to make OC a Max point draw for the one non res bonus tag.

Expectation management!!! When you started the points game did you say to yourself that you’re only going to put in for the best unit in Utah or did that come after all these years?

If you made that commitment to yourself then OC it is and ride it out till you draw, or another unit gets fantastic again.

That being said lots of people draw an OC, Henries, and Paunsgaunt tag and strike out or come home with a smaller buck than anticipated. These areas are still difficult hunts to turn up 200” bucks.

I’d reach out to Northrim Outfitters, MB, WLH or Alpha and see what unit they recommend and then hire one of them. This is going to give you the greatest opportunity at the biggest buck on the mtn. I’m a DIY’er but when I draw my LE deer tag I’m going this route because it’s going to be a once in a lifetime hunt. Waiting 20 plus years to draw, and a waiting period, I’ll never have that opportunity to chase another deer on a premium unit in Utah again.

While things were down last year, those outfitters still chased 190” deer. That’s still a book animal and a hell of a trophy.

So to you ulfireman,you Know 23 years ago I didn't know what the he!! I wanted in life,But I surly didn't think that the world would be were it is today.Droughts, Global warming $ 45.000 to 125.000 sheep hunts,$ 20.000 to $35.000plus Elk hunts.Gay Rights movements,BLM movements.Hec man I just want the best chance to hunt for a GREAT BUCK .Points on the Boon and Grock of shut don't mean nothing to me! I would like a hunt were Side X Sides are not flying by every 5 minutes.There are some good quality bucks to look at.Private property is not a issue,It seems to me that hunting anymore is about killing the biggest critter on the mountain,Not for me, But I surly would not kill a two or three yearling deer to satisfy my hunt.So with all said yes I do thing my mind set was to put in for the best unit available to me to get a chance to hunt the most Incredible animal on this earth The Mule Deer.I hope that this anwsers your thought process about my post!;)

Go hunt a unit you’re familiar with or one that you like. You can find big bucks on any unit if you look hard enough and have a little luck on your side. Make some memories with loved ones by drawing a tag now. This will give you plenty more years to digest and regurgitate those memories at family get-togethers?

Best of luck! Look forward to hearing your stories!

I watched the same thing in Colorado this year, one of the best units non-residents burning 25 points and whacking 160 to 170 Bucks. My theory is there are really only a couple of guys that are really holding out for a true monster and willing to eat that 25 year old tag, the rest of them will be pulling that trigger after the second day. I have seen this with my own eyes. Good Luck on your decision. Remember we are talking Utah, if he is big, there are eyes on him!

Henries is down, Pauns is down, your safe bet this year is Oak Creek, Books, Vernon, and Diamond.

Maybe a late season Zion… actually I heard Thousand Lakes is on the up and up. ?‍♂️
No on late season Zion. did that with my cali brother last year. Been hunting the unit 45 yrs. Just no for 25 points or even 16.

Right On hawk!

If I Had Posted That Ridge Would Not of Liked It!

I watched the same thing in Colorado this year, one of the best units non-residents burning 25 points and whacking 160 to 170 Bucks. My theory is there are really only a couple of guys that are really holding out for a true monster and willing to eat that 25 year old tag, the rest of them will be pulling that trigger after the second day. I have seen this with my own eyes. Good Luck on your decision. Remember we are talking Utah, if he is big, there are eyes on him!

So to you ulfireman,you Know 23 years ago I didn't know what the he!! I wanted in life,But I surly didn't think that the world would be were it is today.Droughts, Global warming $ 45.000 to 125.000 sheep hunts,$ 20.000 to $35.000plus Elk hunts.Gay Rights movements,BLM movements.Hec man I just want the best chance to hunt for a GREAT BUCK .Points on the Boon and Grock of shut don't mean nothing to me! I would like a hunt were Side X Sides are not flying by every 5 minutes.There are some good quality bucks to look at.Private property is not a issue,It seems to me that hunting anymore is about killing the biggest critter on the mountain,Not for me, But I surly would not kill a two or three yearling deer to satisfy my hunt.So with all said yes I do thing my mind set was to put in for the best unit available to me to get a chance to hunt the most Incredible animal on this earth The Mule Deer.I hope that this anwsers your thought process about my post!;)
If I was sitting on your points I’d be putting in for the multi-season tags. Either Paunsgaunt, Henries, or roll the dice for OC.

Go create lots of memories and have fun!

Life changes so fast. If you have a chance to draw and hunt, go hunt. Your next day of life is not promised. Neither is shooting a 200" buck. Go enjoy yourself and hunt while you can. Even better if you can enjoy it with loved ones. Good luck!

What I Laugh at is The Guys that Were Pulling LE Tags with MAX Points Every Year!

They'd Pull The Tag!

Spend Thousands of Dollars Looking for that Trophy!

Then Turn Their Tag Back in & Do it again & Again Year after Year!

Thinking Utah's Monster Buck Hunting Was Only Gonna Get Better!

How's That Panning Out?

Not Quite as Easy For Them Now,But it Still Happens!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom