Deer proposal

bragabit

I have been kicking around an idea in my head for a few years and wanted to see what you all thought.
What if the DWR offered a hunt with a Muzzleloader or bow about the 10th of November on each general season unit. The tags would have to be very restricted maybe 5 to 10. They would be drawn as limited entry. It would help move people through the system a little quicker. It would make the draw odds on the limited entry units better. Some of the hunts would probably have pretty decent odds. You wouldn't have to wait 10 plus years to draw a limited entry deer hunt. Just an idea.

That's not a bad idea brag. My wife has 11 points, so I figure it could take her 15 years to be a lock for the Henery's rifle tag. I'll probably be in a wheelchair by then.

I like it but I think 3 tags per unit and use any weapon. Why not. Many more of us might actually get a few good hunts in our lifetime.

They could alternate weapons on different units. They could even alternate weapons from year to year. I certainly would rather hunt my home unit during the rut, rather than hunt a LE unit across the state.

I like the archery/muzzleloader idea. But I would take it a step further and make it "primitive" weapon as far as muzzleloaders go. More like Idaho's rules (loose powder, open sights, solid lead bullets).

That would give the deer a better chance when they are most vulnerable and allow for more tags... pushing more people through the system. But most of us could still use the smokepoles we already have for normal LE tags. We would just have to put on a peep sight and work up a "primitive" load.

Great Idea!
Grizzly

I have also been having the same thoughts for about the last year. I really like the idea. But instead of a certain set number of tags do it maybe say one permit for every 1000 deer the division figures is on every unit(we all kow their numbers are way off). Also what if they made it a short hunt say maybe five days? I would put in for and stay with something like this. I only have one deer point and the way it is now when i can put in for elk again my deer points will just sit. Just my thoughts on it.

Don't be afraid to live for fear of dieing.

I like the idea. I also like the idea of having 3 seperate seasons similar to Colorado. I think what you propose is definately possible and more managable with the smaller units. I agree that it would give more people opportunity to hunt and the primitive weapon use is perfect for a late season hunt.

I think he's talking about a specific limited time hunt in November. The front is a unique animal in and of itself. August to January isn't a bad little season.

It's always an adventure!!!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-12 AT 12:10PM (MST)[p]What a good way to kill the rest of the mature bucks that make it through the hunts....arent the deer pressured enough starting aug through end of october? Be real here...we need some MATURE animals to do the breeding....I also have entertained the idea of having some late November primitive weapon hunts but I really dont think that it will be good for the herd.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom