Deer Region G

shedneck

I expected to draw a Montana elk tag, but results posted today and I wasn't lucky. Usually by this time of the year I have a couple of tags in my pocket - not this year. So, I am considering cashing in my Wyoming deer points for a G tag. I held off in the past due to harsh winters and understand that the deer haven't had enough time to completely bounce back yet, but I was hoping you all could share your opinion on cashing in my points this year or continuing to wait it out. How are the deer doing? Thoughts? I will have other deer tags this year, so it's not as if I won't be hunting if I don't apply for G. Thanks in advance.

The northern part was average winter kill, southern part was above average, there were a lot of good bucks on the winter range. I'm seeing a lot of deer out on the flats now.

Region G is definitely not what it was in the 2015 and 2016 seasons, but I would still go hunt now. Who knows what the next couple of winters will bring. There will still be a few good buck to go after.

Like gasman said, this winter was spotty on the deer from G. You gotta look at the bigger picture. Going on 3 years after the 16/17 winter. 1.5-3.5 yr old bucks from that winter will be 3 years older this fall at a 4.5-6.5 year old bucks now. If there is a slump to be seen, there won't be many of the 2 & 3 year old bucks coming up this year. We're going to need 4?, 5?, 6? more good years to work out of what's coming? The country is big and rough enough though that there will always be some big studs show up every year. I'm still planning on getting out and hunting. :)

Thank you boomer and rocky. If you ever need anything in Nevada, please let me know. Good luck this year.

shedneck
I hunted region G in Wyoming quite a bit back before they went to the point system. I haven't gone there since because I have plenty hunting here in Nevada now. I live north of Reno what area of Nevada are you from?
Send me a pm if you like

I am archery elk hunting this area the week prior to the mule deer opener. I would love to swap information based on scouting etc. I haven't gotten to hunt the greys river area in a few years and need to get caught up to speed.

Shed,
I sent you a PM on CO 25. I have info on region G. send me you phone number or email in a PM.
thanks
Greg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom