Deer Roast

stillwaitin

I Have a few Roasts I am wanting to cook up, the steak I had from the deer have been really good, so I am excited for the Roasts too. Just wondering if anyone had a favorite way they like to cook it. Crockpot or oven, either way. Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-10 AT 11:35AM (MST)[p]With the lack of fat in a deer roast I would cook it in the crockpot...If you want to lard it you can do the oven but you need to make sure you get some fat in there...You could thread some bacon into it that will give you some moisture..Just don't over cook...

Hard to go wrong in the crockpot with some taters,carrots,celery and onion,some beef bouillon for stock some red wine and a splash of Worcestershire sauce...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

The wife made a deer roast the other night in the crock pot and it was simple, but turned out pretty dang good.

She just put the roast in the crock pot, poured in two cans of coke then added a packet of lipton onion soup mix then let it cook for about 6 hours on low while we were at work.

Made some mashed taters, veggies and rolls to go with it. Mighty fine meal, mighty fine.

I have any awesome way of "crockin" up a deer roast. Here's what I do; first I marinade it (and myself) in beer and bourbon. Then I take a fork and stab the roast multiple times like my cousin Norman used to do to his victims in the movie "Psyco", then put the roast in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag and pour in a can of beer and 2 shots of bourbon, add a couple of shots of lemon juice and a couple of shots of olive oil. Spice it up as you like, I use garlic powder and pepper. Set it in the icebox for a while and occasionally pull out your meat and message a little bit in the bag (oh jeez that didn't sound right). I usually leave my marinading venison roast in the icebox overnight then start it cookin' first thing in the mornin'. I slice up an onion and layer the bottom of my pot with it and lay my roast on top of it and then cut up a few carrots in length about 1" plus long and a couple of taters. Some times I'll pour a little of the marinade over it or a little beer, never water and let it cook until it's done.

On occasion I've cubed up salt pork and poked it into the roast for those old buck roasts that I've been given from friends that are trophy hunters. I'm a meat hunter and I will not shoot a deer that's bigger than a 3x3 unless it's the last day. Antler size is a way to guage meat quality for me, I could care less about inches.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

Sounds good, guys. I am getting hungry! Yea the roast are from a corn/alfalfa fed doe. So it should be pretty good. Thanks for the ideas. I will let you know how it turns out.

When I bake them I rub the roast down with seasonings jab garlic cloves into the meat then bake covered in a roasting pan with onions, potatoes and carrots in plenty of liguid. I use darker beers, wine or just water with worcechestire etc. It self bastes and helps keep the meat moist. I love deer roast!

I have a pretty good recipe that works well. Let me just say that I have not tried this with deer, but with elk. I also have had it with bear. This recipe is for BBQ Pulled Roast Sandwiches.

Take your roast and add 1/2 chopped sweet onion, 4 beef broth cubes, enough water to cover the roast, pepper, garlic salt and minced garlic. Cook in a crock pot for 10 hours and remove. Tear apart the roast into shreds and place into a disposable aluminum baking pan. Add favorite BBQ sauce or make your own. Cover with aluminum foil and cook either in an oven or on a grill @ 250-300* for about two hours.

Serve with your choice of vegetable, I prefer grilled corn on the cob or sauteed green beans with some garlic, oil, and pepper. I like whole wheat buns, but whatever bread you like will work.

Don't forget to brown your roast in a frying pan before cooking. I perfer mine cooked in a dutch oven but we also cook then in a crockpot when we are busy. I also like to soak my deer in milk to help tederize it and braw out the blood and any gamey taste.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-10 AT 07:23PM (MST)[p]If you haven't discovered Mr. Yoshida's Original Gourmet Sweet and Savory you're missing out. I buy it in 63oz bottles at Costco. I use it on chicken, fish, making jerky, and especially cooking deer and elk roasts. Here's my method and once you try it, it will be one of your favorites. I don't brown the roast. I just put it in the bottom of the slow cooker crock pot. Pour about 3/4 to a cup of Mr Yoshida's over the roast, then add water to cover the rest of the roast. Throw in about 1 and 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms, and one chopped up onion. Add one or two packages of brown gravy mix and seasonings like garlic pepper etc. Then if need be, add a little more water to fill the crock pot, about an inch from the top so it doesn't overflow and make a mess. (I sit my crock pot inside another pan just in case it does spill a little.)
Let it cook until the meat is tender enough to fall apart when you try to lift it out with a fork,(6 to 8 hours). Remove the meat and cover it with aluminum foil to retain the heat. Pour what is left in a sauce pan, bring it to a boil and thicken it as desired with a mixture of flour/cold water. (I stir this flour/water mix good and strain it to get the lumps out) You can season it a little more if you want but it makes the tastiest, sweet gravy you will ever have. Pour the gravy over the sliced roast and mashed potatoes. Lots of flavor, no fat, and you won't EVER taste a better meal.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom