Deer stuck in a fence

merrelltyler

Any suggestions on what to do when you see this? I wasn't sure 100% sure what to do, but I did not want to get busted for poaching. You can get creamed for shooting it. It seemed better to get it out than to let it stay there.

A couple years ago I came across a similar. I was able to get it freed as well. Zero chance surviving stuck in the fence. I too was worried about getting kicked. It was interesting though how it calmed down and sat there allowing me to do what I needed to.

Cut the fence. I’ve let a few out that have been stuck in the fence and they seem to do more damage to themselves in the time you’re trying to help than when they are alone after they get stuck. The faster they get out once you show up, the better. Just cut it and stand back. Less than 15 seconds usually

Cut the fence. I’ve let a few out that have been stuck in the fence and they seem to do more damage to themselves in the time you’re trying to help than when they are alone after they get stuck. The faster they get out once you show up, the better. Just cut it and stand back. Less than 15 seconds usually

Then Repair the fence right?

I've released a few from the fence over the years. A couple times, I used the jack handle from my truck to pry the wire apart letting them free. Always a chance of getting kicked but worth it in my book and a decent adrenaline rush to boot. --------SS

Had to put this poor little guy out of his misery. Only thing holding the leg on was the bone.

Fences get a bunch of them for sure.
1600635430516.jpeg

A fence isn't really a natural hazard. Well, mine are old enough to be on the national register, but you know what I mean.

Ok, let me explain it a different way. The very essence of a fence it to obstruct or impede the movement of animals. It’s no more natural than a leghold trap.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom