Deer Transportation Through Nevada

desperatehills

Very Active Member
We are hunting mule deer in Utah in a couple weeks. If we fill tags on deer not big enough to mount we would like to have euro mounts done. Can deer heads be brought from Utah into Nevada? We can not bring them into Oregon until they are cleaned, due to CWD. I suspect Nevada has the same rules but thought I would check. We would love to use a Taxidermist in Reno if we could legally

From what I've read Nevada has adopted the CWD rule also of no spine or brain

Bring a pot and stove and go for it. We cleaned two elk in camp before coming back to CA.

938062014090113.00.45.jpg

>Bring a pot and stove and
>go for it. We
>cleaned two elk in camp
>before coming back to CA.
>
>
>
938062014090113.00.45.jpg

How long do you need to boil the skull? We have everything to do it but have never tried. Other than cutting away all you can and sticking it in a pot, what else does a guy need to know? I will have my taxidermist at home finish it out. I just need to make it legal and not ruin it in the process.

Our technique is to take as much meat of the skull as you can before putting into the water. Then place skull in water to simmer for an hour or so. We DO NOT boil them as boiling will weaken the skull sutures and will lead to it falling apart in the future. We only simmer at a temp just below boiling. We also will add a tiny bit of Dawn liquid detergent to help break the meat/fat up. We then pull it out and cut off/scrap off as much meat as possible. Also try to remove the jaw/tongue and all the meat/tendons associated with the jaw. We then put it in the pot and do it again. We'll do it two to three times depending on how it's going.

We then stop by a car wash on the way home and blast off most of the remaining meat and brains. Our final step is to put the head into a couple of heavy duty contract trash bags and then put it back into the pot (but with cooler water) and then pour a gallon or so of simple 3% peroxide in the bag with the skull. The water in the pot pushes against the skull and reduces the amount of peroxide that is needed. We'll let that soak for as long as possible and then will let it dry.

When you hit the bug station it'll be so clean and white that it should meet the requirements for entry into whatever state.

59932014elkhuntnvutcopy.jpg

Nevada fish and game just came out with a notice to hunters that they want them to take their deer to a checking station to check for CWD as a precaution.

Just the same I don't know if this changes anything bringing back meat through the state but I would check to be sure.

They want all deer checked this year it seems any thoughts.

>Nevada fish and game just came
>out with a notice to
>hunters that they want them
>to take their deer to
>a checking station to check
>for CWD as a precaution.
>
>
>Just the same I don't know
>if this changes anything bringing
>back meat through the state
>but I would check to
>be sure.
>
>They want all deer checked this
>year it seems any thoughts.
>

there is no possible way with man power or money to check all deer killed in Nevada.....I don't know what you heard....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom