Deer Unit 5 or 6

desperatehills

Very Active Member
We have the points to draw 3rd season deer tags in either unit or we could get 4th season in unit 6. We are a couple points shy for unit 5 4th season. Is anyone familiar with these two units to compare them? How is over the counter elk hunting pressure during these deer hunts? Just at first glance these do not seem to be premium areas for elk so maybe the elk seasons are not too bad?

We will motel it for this hunt. Looks like it would be Baggs for unit 5 and Walden for unit 6. Is there a advantage to either town far as logistics?

Both units seem high elevation to me. Would one unit be more likely to have weather ruin the hunt?

Deer quality seems to be similar in each unit, which unit would you typically see more deer in a day. I am the type hunter that will never kill a 200" deer because 165" deer look big to me. I prefer hunts where I see lots of animals and need to work for the better bucks.

Feel free to PM me if you regularly hunt this area and do not want it to change. Thanks in advance

Unit 5 is a red zone for the CWD and the state. The result is a ton of tags in a unit already under objective with the purpose being to kill every mature buck in the unit. As a result unit 5 which is incredible deer habitat is totally screwed just like the rest of the NW units.

Good to know elks, thanks
Read a biologist study on the deer herds in the north park (Walden) area from a couple years ago and they cited that a large percentage of mule deer actually start to migrate out of north park as early as mid Oct. A large portion moved south toward the units NE of Kremling, and a smaller % moved north & followed the North Platte river into WY. Used to hunt unit 6 back in early mid 80’s. Deer wintered in the sage flats around Walden at that time. Numbers of deer now seen in 3rd & 4th seasons by comparison are way down. Much better deer numbers for late seasons seen toward units around Kremling.

I would also love to know what you chose and how it went if you are willing to share. I have 12 points and am struggling with the same choice of 2022.

Why did you decide? I’m going for unit 6 second season deer and I have no idea where to start. Never been to the area. Not looking for anyone’s honey holes just where to start out. Thanks

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom