Deer units 151 and 142

P

polaris800sp

Hi im a out of state guy from idaho and am going to put in for region H. I've been looking over some maps and was wanting to know what type of bucks would be in these units and what the better unit to hunt is. I have horses and experience with packin hunts? if i hunt 151 im thinking hunting around Indian Peak.

142 has more deer but way more people. There are great deer in both areas, but you will have to hunt for them. You won't be alone in 151, but you will have a lot more room to yourself. I haven't been in there in a few years, but a lot of those deer winter in Idaho, and they had a really bad winter a couple years ago in Swan Valley.
I would say your chances at a big deer are probably the same in each unit..
If you want to see a lot of deer and wade through other hunters, go to 142.
If you want to see fewer deer and fewer hunters, go to 151.

151 is tough. A few decent deer, but low numbers. Also have seen many hunters in the area, being as non-res have to hunt outside of the Wilderness Areas. It seems the Idaho rut hunts and little winter range has hurt the area. Fishbio's assessment of 142 is right on. Hike a little farther and hunt a little smarter and 142 will produce more deer and better deer. I shot a solid "gummer" buck in 142 the last time I hunted it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom