Deer winter kill

Mallards_Only

Now that most of the seasons are winding down or done, what is everyone's experience with the numbers of deer seen or harvested? Were the winter kill forecasts after last winter as bad as predicted? Are there some areas that seem to have been worse hit than others?

I'm over here in 73a Hunting the muzzleloader tag. The biologist said when they did their winter count last year was 2500 deer in the unit. These deer should be working south towards their winter grounds, and some of them are. But we have only seen maybe 100 does and 7 bucks. We have covered most of the unit and not seen a fraction of what should be in here. I'm guessing the winter numbers this year will be half or less than last year. Still hoping to stumble across a nice buck.
Side note. We have seen only 2 moose but they both were absolute monsters .

I hunted the general season hard for 10 days. In those 10 days I saw 8 bucks. Where last year I would have seen around 50 or more bucks. I ate both of my tags.

In my eyes, it was not just as bad as reported but WORSE! Ide say at the very least 60% mortality in the main unit I hunted. I've heard talk that it may be as high as 80% in some other units.

I talked to quite a few people and everyone had a tough time. I did not see a 4.5 year old or older buck dead or alive. I only saw 3 dead bucks in camps or trucks all season. Two 2 pts and one 3 pt. Normally I see quite a few bucks hanging in camps, laying in the backs of trucks or packed on a truck driving down the interstates. I never saw a buck packed in the back of truck when driving the highways which is a first for me.

Sure, there are some does and small bucks around, and some damn fine Elk, but it will take years before the units return to what they were before last winter.

there was 3 of us in our hunting party in a southern idaho general unit. it was the first time we have been in the unit so no history to compare to. however, we saw very few deer and very, very few bucks. ended up going 1 for 3 on a decent sized forked horn but had to work very hard for him and covered a lot of country. saw 3 other harvested bucks in other camps.

Has to rank up there as one of the poorest for mule deer. Spent quite a bit of time out there and didn't see a MD buck. Most does seen was about 20 in a day. Plenty of elk and the WT?s were thick as ever. Hope this winter gives them a break

Southeast Idaho I saw a lot of doe and a couple of guys packing out 4 point bucks ( maybe 2 year old type bucks, possibly 3). Never saw a buck there. Moved to another unit and ended up killing a 3 year old 4 point. Most guys I talked to hadn't seen much.

I put up a similar post .. I have hunted unit 31 for elk & deer for over 30 years . I hit it for elk 15 different times this season plus numerous times scouting , I saw 2 bucks & maybe 25 or 30 does & fawns . I hunted 18 for whitetails saw 2 whitey does in 6 days of hunting talked to several other hunters including some locals that said Worst they had seen !! I went over to our late season honey hole did a 6 mile hike 1st time in this spot in 6 years not seeing an animal . Tons of tracks I think the week before the snow moved them . I have been up in 31 3 times since the season closed & have yet to see a deer ONE !! The Fish TARTS better start thinking about Shutting deer season DOWN in 31 & other units !! The area's I am talking about Not seeing any deer in , are areas that over the past 30 years it was not uncommon too see 20 to 60 deer on a evening drive !!!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-17 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]My Buddy and I hunted the last weekend in October OTC in Central Idaho. Didn't see any deer hanging in any camps along the road this year and saw more out of state plates than what we usually see. Although we were a little discouraged by the lack of meat hanging on the drive in, we set up camp and hit it hard in the morning. In 2 days averaging 5 to 6 miles up away from any road we ended up seeing deer by about mile 2. Saw 160 to 180 does and passed on 9 or 10 bucks. I saw 20 or so bucks in the same hunt last year but I think it had more to do with the lack of weather than anything else this year. I ended up shooting a decent 4x3 the first evening who had about 20 does he was following up a draw. We were hunting steep country but definitely no lack of deer. Maybe a few less forkies than usual but plenty of 3's and basket 4's. Not saying other units arent hurtin for deer but central idaho seemed to be doing just fine in my opinion. If it weren't for my buck rolling to the bottom of the canyon after I shot him and making for a rough packout we would have easily gotten my buddy's tag filled the next day. Can't complain for only 2 days of deer hunting this year.

I glassed far fewer forked horns this year, saw a few, and it seemed like the fawns were fewer this year as well. Never turned up anything mature, which was a change from the years past. I read articles stating that the young deer died as well as some of the older deer, my observations line up with these articles.

I believe the deer in southern Idaho survived the winter in good shape.
I had a 55tag
I saw quite a few does and younger bucks
From what I have heard from friends very few live deer in central units
Tough hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom