Dems shoot down drilling - AGAIN!

Roy

Freaking enviros. Harry Reid doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080618/ap_on_go_pr_wh/offshore_oil

Bush to Congress: Embrace energy exploration now By H. JOSEF HEBERT, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 46 minutes ago

With gasoline topping $4 a gallon, President Bush urged Congress on Wednesday to lift its long-standing ban on offshore oil and gas drilling, saying the United States needs to increase its energy production. Democrats quickly rejected the idea.

"There is no excuse for delay," the president said in a statement in the Rose Garden. With the presidential election just months away, Bush made a pointed attack on Democrats, accusing them of obstructing his energy proposals and blaming them for high gasoline costs. His proposal echoed a call by Republican presidential candidate John McCain to open the Continental Shelf for exploration

"Families across the country are looking to Washington for a response," Bush said.

Congressional Democrats were quick to reject the push for lifting the drilling moratorium, saying oil companies already have 68 million acres offshore waters under lease that are not being developed.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Bush's proposals "another page from (an)... energy policy that was literally written by the oil industry ? give away more public resources."

Sen. Barack Obama, the Democrats' presumptive presidential nominee, rejected lifting the drilling moratorium that has been supported by a succession of presidents for nearly two decades.

"This is not something that's going to give consumers short-term relief and it is not a long-term solution to our problems with fossil fuels generally and oil in particular," said Obama. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, lumping Bush with McCain, accused them of staging a "cynical campaign ploy" that won't help lower energy prices.

"Despite what President Bush, John McCain and their friends in the oil industry claim, we cannot drill our way out of this problem," Reid said. "The math is simple: America has just three percent of the world's oil reserves, but Americans use a quarter of its oil."

White House spokesman Tony Fratto retorted: "Anyone out there saying that something can be done overnight, or in a matter of months, to deal with high gasoline prices is trying to fool people. There is no tool in the toolbox out there that will lower gas prices overnight, or in weeks, or probably not even in months."

Bush said offshore drilling could yield up to 18 billion barrels of oil over time, although it would take years for production to start. Bush also said offshore drilling would take pressure off prices over time.

There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by Bush's father in 1990. Bush's brother, Jeb, fiercely opposed offshore drilling when he was governor of Florida. What the president now proposes would rescind his father's decision ? but the president took the position that Congress has to act first and then he would follow behind.

Asked why Bush doesn't act first and lift the ban, Keith Hennessey, the director of the president's economic council, said: "He thinks that probably the most productive way to work with this Congress is to try to do it in tandem."

Before Bush spoke, the House Appropriations Committee postponed a vote it had scheduled for Wednesday on legislation doing the opposite of what the president asked ? extending Congress' ban on offshore drilling. Lawmakers said they wanted to focus on a disaster relief bill for the battered Midwest.

Bush also proposed opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for drilling, lifting restrictions on oil shale leasing in the Green River Basin of Colorado, Utah and Wyoming and easing the regulatory process to expand oil refining capacity.

With Americans deeply pessimistic about the economy, Bush tried to put on the onus on Congress. He acknowledged that his new proposals would take years to have a full effect, hardly the type of news that will help drivers at the gas stations now. The White House says no quick fix exists.

Still, Bush said Congress was obstructing progress ? and directly contributing to consumers' pain at the pump.

"I know the Democratic leaders have opposed some of these policies in the past," Bush said. "Now that their opposition has helped drive gas prices to record levels, I ask them to reconsider their positions."

Bush said that if congressional leaders head home for their July 4 recess without taking action, they will need to explain why "$4 a gallon gasoline is not enough incentive for them to act. And Americans will rightly ask how high gas prices have to rise before the Democratic-controlled Congress will do something about it."

Bush said restrictions on offshore drilling have become "outdated and counterproductive."

In a nod to the environmental arguments against drilling, Bush said technology has come a long way. These days, he said, oil exploration off the coastline can be done in a way that "is out of sight, protects coral reefs and habitats, and protects against oil spills."

Congressional Democrats, joined by some GOP lawmakers from coastal states, have opposed lifting the prohibition that has barred energy companies from waters along both the East and West coasts and in the eastern Gulf of Mexico for 27 years.

On Monday, McCain made lifting the federal ban on offshore oil and gas development a key part of his energy plan. McCain said states should be allowed to pursue energy exploration in waters near their coasts and get some of the royalty revenue.

Obama retorted that the Arizona senator had flip-flopped on that issue.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

No surprise the dems voted it down, they WANT high fuel prices, Obama even admitted it, as did Maxine Waters. Yet the media still spews the lies about it being Bush and the Republicans fault we have such high fuel prices!

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

I think this entire thing of asking congress to open offshore drilling is political theater. Neither side is serious about drilling offshore, first it would mean GWB would go back on his world that there would be no drilling off the coast of Florida on his watch, look up the quote. Brother Jeb was highly opposed to offshore drilling.

The democrats have been entrenched in the no offshore drilling since the 1981 spending bill where they did not ban drilling but rather banned spending any federal money on more offshore drilling. Good luck getting leases without any federal money being spent.

GWB also chooses not to take the lead by ending the Executive order, first signed in 1990 by his father and renewed by WJC, banning offshore drilling. To lay all of this at the democrats feet is to buy into the political ploy hook, line and sinker.

So again one has to come to the conclusion that both sides suck.

Nemont

Nemont you hit the nail on the head again.

There are 68 million acres open to drilling right now that aren't being developed so this is just political hot air.

If more oil were to be pumped who would refine it? before you go into the rant about enviro's stopping the oil companies from building new refineries can you show where the oil companies are fighting to get one? if you have one I'd be interested as to where. the oil comapnies post new record profits every quarter, do you really thing they want more oil or refinery capacity? if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Politians from both sides are in vote buying mode right now, don't take anything they say very serious.

Political BS aside, if it will take years to get the first barrel of oil to market, then I say all the more reason to start tomorrow.

We all want alternative solutions but it's not going to happen in the forseeable future. The sooner the better, I agree. But how many cancer patients have died after hearing the doctor say "we're making great strides toward a cure and it could come at any time."

Americas strength depends on energy, so we better not stick our heads in the sand.

Well, good luck America! I hope it all works out.

Eel

Dude you are right (hard to admit huh!) about the refineries. If they really want to impress us - announce 11 new refinery projects with major pipelines connecting every area of the country. From our own ground to our own gas tanks.

UTROY

Huntendude, In Bakersfield Ca. Big West refinery is trying to do an expantion that would more than double there output. Only thing holding it up is the Dems in Sacramento won't OK it be cause Big West won't agree to 100 percent union labor.

Nemont,
Brother Jeb today, changed his position and now supports drilling off the coast of Florida, as does the governor, Charlie Crist, and senator Mel Martinez. Our Fla. pimp,senator Bill Nelson continues to spout the Dem. party line. The stated objection for years has been that Florida's tourist Industry could be devistated by a spill in the gulf. (never mind that Katrina destroyed hundreds of rigs in the gulf with very minute damage from escaping oil.)Now, These guys seem to realise that without gasoline Florida may not have a tourist industry to protect!
Those 68 million acres ,according to what I hear, don't have enough oil to be profitable, so I don't think our civic minded oil companies will be drilling there. They just might drill where they could make a couple bucks.
Probably right about the oil companies not being too interested in new refineries, but there is a moritorium on the construction of these refineries from reports i've heard.
Right about the new refineries. I would add to your suggestion that they be constructed away from the gulf coast so that even the threat of a storm doesn't send prices soaring, and also the gov. stipulate that all oil drilled and refined here be used here.
Nothing is going to eliminate this crisis in the near future, but if our elected officials had got their heads out of thier asses and worked out a comprehensive plan 15 years ago that addressed the concerns of reasonable people worried about the environment instead of bowing to the extremists,and also pursued alternative energy sources, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in now.
Finally, every barrel of oil we pull out of the ground here is one less that we have to depend on from those who would love to see our country destroyed. And I would bet that if we got started, they would produce more and at a much lower price.

"I would add to your suggestion that they be constructed away from the gulf coast so that even the threat of a storm doesn't send prices soaring, and also the gov. stipulate that all oil drilled and refined here be used here."

+1

How many of you realize a fair share of oil pumped in Alaska and other western US fields is exported? one reason diesel is more expensive on the west coast it we're closer to asia so oil comanies have can be more competitive for exportation.

So just because we pump more oil doesn't mean crap unless it's enough oil to over supply the world market, it's not OUR oil it's the oil companies oil and they'll sell to the highest bidder. this brings up the question of should oil be regulated and should there be restrictions on where it's sold? we do it with natural gas,electricity,phones you name it, should oil be different? I can't say but it's a good question.

I do not think a fair share of Alaska oil leaves the USA, most of it stays here.

Virtually all of the oil from TAPS goes into refineries in Washington and California, where it is converted into gasoline, diesel fuel, etc., and then sold, almost exclusively, in West Coast locations.

Just 4 percent of North Slope oil trickled to Asia between 1996 and 2000, before the flow shut off almost entirely. Since then, the only export was a single tanker in 2004, which delivered a load of oil to China en route to getting repaired at an Asian port.

The reason is that Alaskan oil fields aren't gushing crude as they once did. Alaskan oil production was cut in half between the 1988 peak and 2000. Now West Coast refineries soak up nearly every drop, according to data from the federal Energy Information Administration.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-08 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]Really - it doesn't matter where it goes! Again - the biggest problem is that the freaking-liberal-cry-baby-pee-pants-whiner-baby-environmentalists have limited the number of refineries we have so as far as the US solving its own problems with its own oil it is a non-issue. However we CAN drill more and become a bigger player in the oil market overall and influence the price of oil that way! Plus, there are many companies drilling on US soil that are foreign owned but the point is we neeed the commerce to be originated from here rather than from other places so we can control the market rather than the market controlling us!

UTROY

If there is accessible oil hiding in the CONUS waiting to be tapped, then I say uncap the strategic reserves and start using that. Refine that, and in the mean time, start drilling for new strategic reserves. Build a few more refineries and nuke plants in the mean time.

The energy problem gets compounded daily, as more and more of the world population start using oil-based products. You know the pols are bandying this around. I think its partisan politics in that both parties are stubborn idiots that agree there is a problem, but lack the direction to act.

My personal feelings aside, if the dems are going to be in power, they need to lose Reid and Pelosi and install someone who can crack the whip on both parties to get their heads out of their asses.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom