Deseret Antlerless Elk

Elknut33

Wife and I drew Deseret CWMU antlerless elk. This will be her first elk tag, she's excited to take our 7 year old son with us. Anyone hunt this CWMU with kiddo's in the past? Is the terrain and operator kid friendly?
Thanks!

I killed a cow on Deseret with my 6 year old in tow. Things are done a little differently these days than back then, but yes, it can be done and the operator and the hunt is definitely kid friendly most of the time.

I say most of the time, because it's still hunting and nothing is guaranteed.

my son had this tag 2 years ago (he was 17) but yes, it's mostly a drive around with a short stalk. we had 3 hunters in a pickup and one of them had a 9 YO girl in tow. IIRC, there were 3-4 other youngsters present on our hunt date too.

My 3 sons had them tags several times as youths. They were great with the young hunters and my sons were always successful. Usaully early in the morning and then we would hang around with our guide and help the other guides with their assigned hunters. Pretty fun days for my sons. Never did see an elk that they didn't get out whole.

I know things have changed and a different guide service now, but I would think from what I seen more then a dozen times they would still be great with the youth and you will be successful.

You can choose to go unguided, or take their shooting class for 200.00 each and they will guide you. Unguided is a challenging hunt, guided is a walk in the park easy hunt from a truck

It’s still the same outfitter. And they’ll be great with a kid.

I’ll echo HNTNFSH on the unguided having the potential to be a challenging hunt. Go guided with the little one and have a great time.

I spent many years up there on the hunts. You can have a very good hunt unguided but you will probably bring the elk out on your back. The guides have packers available with atv's that can get to most places. Sometimes they have packing for a fee. Not sure if that will be true this year. I took my grandson twice and killed cows the first day both times but it helps knowing the mountain.

You can choose to go unguided, or take their shooting class for 200.00 each and they will guide you. Unguided is a challenging hunt, guided is a walk in the park easy hunt from a truck
I wish the shooting day and guide was only $200.00 still. My son had the tag two years ago and that’s what it was. It’s now $525.00!

You Shot A Cow?

You Shoulda Snuck Some Of That Greenback to one of them for an Up-Grade To a Bull!:D

I killed a cow on Deseret with my 6 year old in tow. Things are done a little differently these days than back then, but yes, it can be done and the operator and the hunt is definitely kid friendly most of the time.

I say most of the time, because it's still hunting and nothing is guaranteed.

really 525.00, I guess I won't be going back, I'm sorry but that is crazy
I understand a lot of things have went up, but dang! But it’s fine, we don’t need the guide. It’s just a convenience thing, with more date options. So we’ll make due with the available dates they gave us, and save some money!

Just wanted to give a follow up.
With other obligations I only had the last day of the hunt to get up there for my sons tag. We were going to do the back up shooting day, that same day, but got up on the mountain and didn’t need to. We were seeing elk, but just not in killable places without a helicopter, or a posse! I’m not in the shape I used to be, and my son is 15. We were fortunate to run into a couple of the guides up there, and they said they might be able to help us out…
After cowboying my truck around following the guides (those guys probably go through a lot of maintenance, or a lot of vehicles), it was a short stalk and a 305 yard poke! Had to have a follow up shot, but my son was awesome! Kept his composure better than most men I think, at least me?
It was some work getting it out, I haven’t broke down an elk in awhile, and it kinda kicked my @SS! And it was about 700 yards uphill pack, in a foot and a half of snow. My son was a trooper! While I was breaking it down, he was packing quarters to the truck. He took both hind quarters, back straps, neck meat, trimmings, liver and heart, in three trips. I made one taking out the two front quarters. Pretty proud dad!
Can’t thank the guides enough! I offered them some money/gift from my pack, and they had none of it. They were just excited to see my son get it done…
497DF7DC-6475-41E7-B5C7-7E64047ED841.jpeg
8FAD88D7-8E59-4FB7-865E-61B1A82525E3.jpeg
3EE1461F-0F64-475B-99DC-682D33572925.jpeg

Congrats and thanks for posting back with the success. Great memories made there. It was always a cold dang hunt up there. Sounds like there are still a few of the good old guides still there. Awesome.

I once killed a doe up there in minus degree temps. I was real happy to open it up to get my hands warm!
Nice work with the boy. Hopefully he wants to do it again!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom