Deseret CWMU Antlerless Cow Elk Hunt 2022

No thank you! After reading all the special "rules" and the fact they are giving out 310 tags, this is a guaranteed $h!t show. I guess they should paint a big white line in the parking lot as a starting gate for all the public hunters to line up at 6:30 AM to start the race to the elk. Hunters should practice up on the hole shot start to the first corner of the dirt race track.

Hunting a CWMU is a trade off in giving up some freedom in order to hunt a place without competing with other public hunters. In this case, you are getting the worst of both options.

This sucks...not being able to have a SxS, ATVs, Horses, only 2 people to help pack with limited dates AND having to compete with hundreds of other hunters on the same elk.

As a side note I find it interesting that they threatened legal action if hunter is found to have a wounded an elk (drawn blood) that is not recovered and then shoot a 2nd elk. Nothing in the UDWR field regs state that hunter must punch their tag if a wounded animal is not recovered. It is perfectly legal to wound an animal, make a effort to recovery that animal and if not found, then shoot another animal and put your tag on that one.

Back in the good old days with the old guide service it was an awesome experience and hunt for my sons. They were successful and had a great time with guides that wanted them to be successful. I personally never hunted it, but was great to take my sons on a 1/2 dozen times. Got to know alot of the guides and they where great.

Things have changed and ran by different outfitter now. These current rules, charges and ect are not for me.

Things have changed and ran by different outfitter now. These current rules, charges and ect are not for me.

I had a cow tag there in 1999. It’s the same outfitter running things today as it was then.

Things have changed a lot over the years there, for sure. I like the changes. I like being able to have a DIY option and doing things at your own pace. Because of how antlerless draw odds have spiraled out of control, I “should” have enough points and I put in here for that specific purpose. I look forward to having a fun hunt. That is if I draw a tag I “should” be guaranteed based upon prior years draw odds…just like the last 3 years when I picked “for sure” draw hunts and didn’t draw.

I have never hunted Deseret but they have an overall antlerless elk success rate of 90+% year over year and the unit is 225,000 acres (that's about 1/3 the size of Rhode Island). 310 tags sounds like pocket change in regards to tags issued per the size of the unit.

I would think a person could put together a fun cow elk hunt if one were so inclined but again I have never hunted it--I just know it's a big ass unit and they have some of the consistently highest success rates of any anterless elk unit.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom