Desert Buck

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-13 AT 11:18AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-13 AT 11:16?AM (MST)

Got this buck opening day in what we call the Cibolas. I was driving a road up to check a water hole and jumped up a herd of 6 does, 2 fawns, and a couple little spikes. We watched them run off a ways and I continued up the road. 200 yards later up the road, I looked in the wash and saw this buck standing there under a tree looking at me from about 200-250 yards away. After watching him run off, I Got my back pack on and went over and got on his tracks. I tracked him about 3/4 mile before I caught up to him. I had a good wind in my face most the time and I spotted him about 50 yards away with his head behind a tree and body exposed. I dropped him on my first shot. He isn't the biggest deer I've seen out here but he was too good for me to pass up with limited time to hunt.

Also, I know I made a mistake by not tagging this buck before the photo. I was a little excited so I forgot. Not a good excuse but it's the truth. Already had someone make a comment on that in another forum.

great job! Seems as though success has been slim in our (Yuma ) area this year.

I confess. I usually take pics before I put tag on animal. Very nice buck and one anyone would be proud to take.

Those SW AZ mule deer are really neat critters but can be hard to hunt. You got yourself a nice one. By the way (as an AZ native you probably know this), but AZ has 2 subspecies of MD - in addition to the usual Rocky Mtn. (Odocoileus hemionus). They are the Desert (O. h. crooki), and the Buro Deer, the one you got, which is O. h. eremicus.

I never get tired of looking at the different facial colorations and antler shapes.

forepaw

That is truly a good desert buck!

Congrats!

As to the tagging before photos, we just about never tag on the antler, to me seems disrespectful and we tag through the gambrel of the hind leg.

Legal and it "hides" the tag.

Just my two cents.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom