Desert Sheep after 22 years

woodruffhunter

Long Time Member
After 22 years, I finally drew a Utah resident desert sheep tag. I have been buying/upgrading gear for the past year in hopes that I would draw. I was a little nervous that I would not draw in that the DWR cut the tag numbers by 10 (I believe) state wide.

I am going guided on this hunt. It will be my first guided hunt in Utah and given the terrain and unfamiliarity with the area, I am glad that I am. This will be my first sheep hunt and likely my last, unless I am really lucky and draw an out of state tag.

Best of luck to those of you that were successful in the draw!

What unit did you draw and who are you going with if you don’t mind me asking.

I drew a desert sheep tag at the expo and can’t wait for the adventure to start!

Thank you

Congratulations on your tag t_bone. I drew the Escalante unit. I will be hunting with Randy Johnson.

I realize that its a tough and physically demanding unit. I am 51 and did not want to wait another 10 years to draw an "easier" unit.

Monday I will start training (been sick this week) and do what I can to be ready. Fortunately my 20 and 25 year old son's will be there to help me pack :)

Thank you

Congratulations on your tag t_bone. I drew the Escalante unit. I will be hunting with Randy Johnson.

I realize that its a tough and physically demanding unit. I am 51 and did not want to wait another 10 years to draw an "easier" unit.

Monday I will start training (been sick this week) and do what I can to be ready. Fortunately my 20 and 25 year old son's will be there to help me pack :)
You couldn't find a finer man to spend time with on the Escalante!

I've had the pleasure of being a "packer/spotter/friend" (*not guiding) on a couple desert sheep hunts for Randy.

Super-congrats on drawing the long awaited sheep tag.

All good tags are special but Utah desert sheep is, hands-down, the best tag/hunt in the world, IMHO.

Zeke

Randy is a class act. When I drew mine he answered all (ALOT) of questions from me even though i was not being guided. You picked a good one for sure.

Big time congrats! Dream hunt that will never happen for most guys, make the most of it!
Tony: I’ve thought about this a lot and feel a little bit of guilt (not a lot ha ha) that I drew as I know so many others would love to have the tag. I’ve been on a lot of different hunts, but never a sheep hunt.
I spoke with one other guide which seemed to be very good. However, after further talking to Randy and hearing about his passion for sheep hunting, it was an easy decision.
Really looking forward to the hunt and appreciate the comments.

Tony: I’ve thought about this a lot and feel a little bit of guilt (not a lot ha ha) that I drew as I know so many others would love to have the tag. I’ve been on a lot of different hunts, but never a sheep hunt.
I spoke with one other guide which seemed to be very good. However, after further talking to Randy and hearing about his passion for sheep hunting, it was an easy decision.
Really looking forward to the hunt and appreciate the comments.
Don't feel guilty, not even a little bit. You put in the draw just like the rest of us, we have no control over who draws and who doesn't. Only 2 ways, put in the time, or get lucky. Doesn't matter which way you got it.

You will have a great time with Randy, I haven't hunted with anyone better.
Good luck and hope you have the hunt of a lifetime.

A desert sheep hunt in the Escalante is as classic as sheep hunts get. That country will test every ounce of hunting passion that you have. Randy is a legend and he's as hardened as sheep hunters come. I'm sure he will help you have a true adventure. Best of luck and congratulations

Last edited:
After 22 years, I finally drew a Utah resident desert sheep tag. I have been buying/upgrading gear for the past year in hopes that I would draw. I was a little nervous that I would not draw in that the DWR cut the tag numbers by 10 (I believe) state wide.

I am going guided on this hunt. It will be my first guided hunt in Utah and given the terrain and unfamiliarity with the area, I am glad that I am. This will be my first sheep hunt and likely my last, unless I am really lucky and draw an out of state tag.

Best of luck to those of you that were successful in the draw!
Congratulations!!! Have great hunt…..

Congratulations on your tag! I also drew a Cali bighorn tag this year on the Newfoundland unit after 21 years and it will be my first ever sheep hunt as well, so I know what you are feeling!

Hope you have an awesome experience and get a chance to tag a great ram. By all accounts, you couldn't have chosen a better guide for your hunt. If I was hunting desert bighorns I would go with Randy or Adam Bronson. Best of luck on the entire adventure!!

Thank you

Congrats! You and your boys will have a great time and hunt. Memories.

Thank you guys…. Been a great few weeks. Sitting in a hotel in green river Utah, ready to start bear hunting the La Sal unit in the morning.
It will be good to start hiking!

Congratulations on your tag, it’s a great filling when a guy gets a tag he’s been waiting decade’s for.
Hope you have a great hunt. Getting to hung up on a score can take a lot of fun out of a hunt. It won’t be what you’ll remember years down the road. Looking forward to pictures this fall. Enjoy!!!

Congrats and enjoy this hunt especially great to be able to have your sons along this will be memories for a lifetime!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom