Did a sale run...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...today for corned beef at Safeway. Bought three for $2.99 per lb. Deal is good until next Weds. Plan to cook one tomorrow. The other two went into the freezer for now. Of course, while my bride was there, she bought me a doz. clams which I'm consuming tonight pre-pizza.

1647040034666.png

This is the recipe I use:

4-5--pound corned beef (flat cut)
1 large Vidalia onion, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced
1 cup orange juice - fresh squeezed is best
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons good ground cinnamon
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup honey
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon good chili powder
4 cloves minced garlic

Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
Line a large dutch oven with aluminum foil.

Place corned beef on foil, fat side up and place onion slices over the top.

In a small bowl, mix together juice, Worcestershire Sauce and cinnamon. Pour around corned beef. Completely seal foil around pan. Bake for 4 to 5 hours or until fork tender.

Near end of baking time, in a small sauce pan, mix together brown sugar, honey, mustard, chili powder and garlic. Heat over low heat until sugar is melted.

Remove brisket, raise oven temperature to 400 degrees, open foil and baste brisket with sugar/honey mixture, do not cover again Return to oven and bake for another half hour, basting once during that time.

Remove to platter, cover with foil and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes before slicing. Cut the corned beef against the grain into slices.

I bought a big prime brisket from Costco last week my buddy made the brine he kept one my father in law gets the other three. I’ll eat it but not a huge fan. Think it was 15 pounds for 75 ish bucks.

I bought a big prime brisket from Costco last week my buddy made the brine he kept one my father in law gets the other three. I’ll eat it but not a huge fan. Think it was 15 pounds for 75 ish bucks.
I don't have the patience to start from scratch. It's just my wife & I, so one small cut is perfect for the traditional CB roast & then for using the leftovers for Reubens.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom