Did CA go away from the deer, elk supertax drawing

egradyfire

Just put in my application for 2022-2023 deer and elk. I did not see the superheat application that was like $5. Did they get rid of it?

If you mean the fundraiser tags, it kinda looks like it. The program was laid out on p17 of the 2021 big game regs booklet. But the 2022 big game regs appears to make no mention of it. The only remaining reference to it in the 2022 regs that I could find is this, just in reference to sheep:

MANDATORY BIGHORN SHEEP
HUNT ORIENTATION
Successfully drawn applicants and recipients of fund-
raising tags
must complete the hunter orientation
requirement

I asked the same question at CDFW. All they did was send me a list of available auctions. BTW, I asked three different people there including the media agent for the auctions, no reply...wonder where all the money going?

Attachments

• 2022 Schedule of Fundraising Events for the Sale of Auction of Big Game License Tags.pdf
    71.7 KB · Views: 119
If you mean the fundraiser tags, it kinda looks like it. The program was laid out on p17 of the 2021 big game regs booklet. But the 2022 big game regs appears to make no mention of it. The only remaining reference to it in the 2022 regs that I could find is this, just in reference to sheep:

MANDATORY BIGHORN SHEEP
HUNT ORIENTATION
Successfully drawn applicants and recipients of fund-
raising tags
must complete the hunter orientation
requirement
I found the following as well:

(d) The commission shall annually direct the department to authorize not more than three elk tags for the purpose of raising funds for programs and projects to benefit elk. These tags may be sold at auction to residents or nonresidents of the state or by another method and are not subject to the fee limitation prescribed in subdivision (c). All revenues from sales pursuant to this subdivision shall be deposited in the Big Game Management Account established in Section 3953 and, upon appropriation by the Legislature, shall be expended as set forth in that section.

Seems kinda odd that there's no info out there about the raffle program being suspended. I noticed that even Huntin Fool magazine made no mention about it being done away with, that I could find, in their detailed coverage of the Cali draw for 2022. Last year (2021) they provided a detailed explanation of the program, as seen here.

hfcali.jpg

Don't get me started! I can't imagine a hunt being more fun. Good luck to this year's sheep hunters.

View attachment 76423

View attachment 76424

View attachment 76425

View attachment 76426
Wow great ram! And you still to apply in the draw and I imagine your a max point holder, may have the opportunity to be the only hunter to ever draw and win a California desert bighorn sheep tag in there lifetime. Congratulations on a beautiful ram, what mountain range was that raffle tag good for?

Not at max points - bummer for me. I'm still in the random draw and always apply anyway. That ram was killed in the Cady Mountains. I saw a lot of rams and only saw 1 bigger.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom