Did California Today

kalielkslayer

Just getting over my Nevada depression. As part of my Therapy, I submitted my applications for California and Idaho today. Great Therapy. NOW I HAVE HOPE AGAIN!

But none of my choices inspire me, true longshots.

I did put in for an archery deer hunt in Idaho. But probably the longest draw odds of any Idaho archery deer hunt, 8%. Almost went with the unit next door with 40% odds but I don't like to compromise.

Held off on Arizona deer and sheep since I may need more therapy after Colorado results come out next week.

How is everyone else doing. I have the national crisis hotline number if you need it.

I have not hunted out-of-state in seventeen years, but that changes in 2020. I drew Nevada pronghorn and think I have the points to hunt deer in Beaty's Butte, Oregon with my son. Now I just have to make time to do justice to these tags. Pronghorn should be as easy as making a good shot, but Beaty's Butte is large and deer numbers are low. At this point I would prefer to save any more good luck until next year. (Man, it has been a long time since I said that...)

I will be doing the rest of mine this weekend. Everything here but all long shots. Should draw Wyoming Antelope long shot for Deer. Borderline odds for late Kaibab Deer in Arizona. So with Colorado and Wyoming for sure hoping to add one more tag somewhere. Also will put in for points in SD and Iowa.

Well I am 0 for everything so far!

I am hoping to draw a 3rd season CO 44 deer tag. I am putting in for WY antelope with a few buddies hoping to draw a random tag but not holding my breath. Max WY deer points but may just do points again this year since I won’t have the CO results before the WY app is due. Getting ready to apply in CA just trying to decide if I want to try for an archery only deer tag and hunt that as opposed to a lottery tag attempt with an OTC fallback tag. Have drawn sheep and antelope in the last few years but still sitting on max points for elk but still long odds for a tag. AZ deer and sheep as well. Will also most likely apply in ID for deer, antelope, elk but tough NR odds so I am not counting on anything there...

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

Well I am 0 for everything so far!

I am hoping to draw a 3rd season CO 44 deer tag. I am putting in for WY antelope with a few buddies hoping to draw a random tag but not holding my breath. Max WY deer points but may just do points again this year since I won’t have the CO results before the WY app is due. Getting ready to apply in CA just trying to decide if I want to try for an archery only deer tag and hunt that as opposed to a lottery tag attempt with an OTC fallback tag. Have drawn sheep and antelope in the last few years but still sitting on max points for elk but still long odds for a tag. AZ deer and sheep as well. Will also most likely apply in ID for deer, antelope, elk but tough NR odds so I am not counting on anything there...

Good luck everyone!

Horniac

Your 0-everything is a popular theme in these parts, until this year.

so I feel your pain.

but we are just 1/2 way through the draw season, so good luck.

I'll be doing AZ and CA this weekend for me and my family but its different this year. Last year I was the only one with a tag, a San Diego CA deer tag.
This year I drew an AZ rut archery Bull tag, my grandsons have 2 youth AZ cow tags, my son in law pulled a Utah Pauns deer tag and a NV cow tag.
So now what do I do. We have a lot of deer points in AZ for deer, a good amount of points for everything in CA and I have max points in CA for elk.
My daughter just told me "No more tags this year dad" but I would love to hunt the Kaibab with her.

Just getting over my Nevada depression. As part of my Therapy, I submitted my applications for California and Idaho today. Great Therapy. NOW I HAVE HOPE AGAIN!

But none of my choices inspire me, true longshots.

I did put in for an archery deer hunt in Idaho. But probably the longest draw odds of any Idaho archery deer hunt, 8%. Almost went with the unit next door with 40% odds but I don't like to compromise.

I'm seriously considering putting in for Idaho archery as well, but I have zero knowledge of the place. I want to be able to go where an upper middle-aged guy, in reasonable shape would have a decent chance.

I will be doing the rest of mine this weekend. Everything here but all long shots. Should draw Wyoming Antelope long shot for Deer. Borderline odds for late Kaibab Deer in Arizona. So with Colorado and Wyoming for sure hoping to add one more tag somewhere. Also will put in for points in SD and Iowa.
How many points puts you on the borderline for late Kaibab? I'm building for the Bab too but not sure I wanna ride it out to the late hunt or early. I'm at 8 or 9 points right now.
I'm in for CA, WY, ID, AZ and struck out for NV and UT.

Ca Buck
I'm at 16, Daughter 15, Son in law 14, for AZ so it would have to be a random tag. I don't think any of us will catch up to the first pass pool. However there is always a chance.
This year both my grandsons pulled AZ tags with either 0 or 1 point as NR's 1-100 odds in the random draw.
This year my Son in law pulled the Utah Pauns mgmt deer tag with 10 points in the random pool. Only 1 random tag for [last year] 165 apps.
He pulled Utah late Beaver elk with 6 points with only 1 tag available.
Last year he pulled NV first rifle bull elk with 6 points and an NV antelope tag with 6 points.
Its like hitting the lottery. You can't win if you don't play.
Both my daughter and son in law have enough points to pull most of the X zones except 5X B but no time to go and I'd like to cash out my CA max elk points.

How many points puts you on the borderline for late Kaibab? I'm building for the Bab too but not sure I wanna ride it out to the late hunt or early. I'm at 8 or 9 points right now.
I'm in for CA, WY, ID, AZ and struck out for NV and UT.
I have 21 NR points. Without the recent tag cuts and rule change I could have drawn by now, but the way it is it could be years.

Oilcan
I just looked at the odds on toprut. Your close with 21 points'
Based on last year with 21 points the odds were
12AW 9.1% 12 B 100% 12BW 20% 12 AE 25%
13 A and B are another story

Last edited:
Oilcan
I just looked at the odds on toprut. Your close with 21 points'
Based on last year with 21 points the odds were
12AW 9.1% 12 B 100% 12BW 20% 12 AE 25%
13 A and B are another story
I’m considering putting 12B as a second choice but I have always wanted to hunt 12AW late so still undecided. With Colorado and Wyoming already planned I may hold out one more year before I settle on 12B.

Ca Buck
I'm at 16, Daughter 15, Son in law 14, for AZ so it would have to be a random tag. I don't think any of us will catch up to the first pass pool. However there is always a chance.
This year both my grandsons pulled AZ tags with either 0 or 1 point as NR's 1-100 odds in the random draw.
This year my Son in law pulled the Utah Pauns mgmt deer tag with 10 points in the random pool. Only 1 random tag for [last year] 165 apps.
He pulled Utah late Beaver elk with 6 points with only 1 tag available.
Last year he pulled NV first rifle bull elk with 6 points and an NV antelope tag with 6 points.
Its like hitting the lottery. You can't win if you don't play.
Both my daughter and son in law have enough points to pull most of the X zones except 5X B but no time to go and I'd like to cash out my CA max elk points.
You guys are living right!

I’m considering putting 12B as a second choice but I have always wanted to hunt 12AW late so still undecided. With Colorado and Wyoming already planned I may hold out one more year before I settle on 12B.

I hunted 12 AW early 20 years ago. An awesome unit. Got early snow on the plateau and it was good. 10 days later it would have been awesome.

In your position I would put in for the Strip since you don’t need another tag. That’s the year you’ll draw.

I put in for an area that I know has top end bucks and I havebeen unsuccessful for at least 15Xs for the rifle tag.

I thought my 5th choice in Nevada was a giveme and I wanted to hunt velvet bucks.

didn’t happen, so I try again.

So far I have 0 tags, I apply for ten states, 45 tags and haven’t drawn anything still waiting on Oregon, California and Arizona the last three.

I applied for California last night so I will still have zero! and draw only a d zone tag. Never count on much from California... maybe one day it will surprise me, doubt it haha.

Brad
I don't always apply for the top end units as I want to hunt with my daughter ,SIL, and grand sons.
I've had 3 G 6 CA tags but would still be waiting for G3. I do have max CA elk points.
I have 1 under max for WY deer, 2 under for WY antelope and have cashed in max WY elk to hunt unit 16 a couple years ago so I'm just buying points this year for the family.
I also have a lot of CO deer points and a few elk points.
I've had 4 elk tags in AZ in 16 years and my SIL pulled an AZ late rifle with 0 points, an AZ bull bow tag in the rut with 7 points, a NM 16 A bull bow tag,a NV early rifle Bull tag in 076-81 with 6 or 7 points as well as a NV antelope tag with 6, a Utah late rifle Beaver elk tag with 6, and this year the 1 random Rifle management Pauns deer hunt with 10.
He doesn't own a rifle, just borrows one of mine.
None of these units are the best units in the states but have better odds in drawing. In AZ and Utah he took 6x6's and his NV bull was a big 7X7. All great hunts.
Hope you get lucky and pull this something this year.

Those are some great tags.
I have been hunting out of state for 35 years and playing the point game for 25.
In all that time I have only been able to really beat the odds on 2 tags, California Antelope before the point system and Nevada Muzzy Deer 231 ( probably less then 2% odds). I have terrible luck all my tags I have had to put the time in. By watching changes carefully in regulations I have drawn 2 tags I never would have. Colorado 53 4th the first year they had one I drew with 7 think it’s around 20 now and first year Wyoming had a early hunt in 119 I drew Deer Tag with 3.

Brad
I don't always apply for the top end units as I want to hunt with my daughter ,SIL, and grand sons.
I've had 3 G 6 CA tags but would still be waiting for G3. I do have max CA elk points.
I have 1 under max for WY deer, 2 under for WY antelope and have cashed in max WY elk to hunt unit 16 a couple years ago so I'm just buying points this year for the family.
I also have a lot of CO deer points and a few elk points.
I've had 4 elk tags in AZ in 16 years and my SIL pulled an AZ late rifle with 0 points, an AZ bull bow tag in the rut with 7 points, a NM 16 A bull bow tag,a NV early rifle Bull tag in 076-81 with 6 or 7 points as well as a NV antelope tag with 6, a Utah late rifle Beaver elk tag with 6, and this year the 1 random Rifle management Pauns deer hunt with 10.
He doesn't own a rifle, just borrows one of mine.
None of these units are the best units in the states but have better odds in drawing. In AZ and Utah he took 6x6's and his NV bull was a big 7X7. All great hunts.
Hope you get lucky and pull this something this year.
Hopefully a sheep tag that will do, but the thing that sucks about California is the fact that if you have zero or 17 points it’s the same. I was to young to apply and have max points so I’m limited.

I’ll be moving early next year so this will be my last year for CA. Never acquired much for points for the three years I’ve lived out here so I’ll probably throw a Hail Mary and then settle for an A zone and archery area-specific rut hunt for blacktail in the same region. I’ve learned a good amount from the area I hunted last year so I should be able to make good on at least one nice deer. I’ll put in for an LE hunt in ID in hopes of coming up on a better unit than my OTC Elk City A tag and swap them out. At the end of the day I know I’ll still be hunting so I’m not upset about anything this year?

I jumped in on the usual-hope for X, B as a fall-back for my yearly wilderness hunt. Drawing sheep this year, I can feel it! Swinging for the fences with 'lopes and elk. Out of state Montana, maybe Colorado. Good luck everyone.

I’ll be moving early next year so this will be my last year for CA. Never acquired much for points for the three years I’ve lived out here so I’ll probably throw a Hail Mary and then settle for an A zone and archery area-specific rut hunt for blacktail in the same region. I’ve learned a good amount from the area I hunted last year so I should be able to make good on at least one nice deer. I’ll put in for an LE hunt in ID in hopes of coming up on a better unit than my OTC Elk City A tag and swap them out. At the end of the day I know I’ll still be hunting so I’m not upset about anything this year?
Where you moving to ?

Still awaiting orders. Wife wants to go back to the East Coast. I’d prefer to stay out West (better hunting) but we will see what Uncle Sam says next month

Drew Nevada and Utah for deer so October is full for me.

Put X7A down just to grab a point.

Antelope Likely second season with 15 points

Elk Independence muzzleloader with 10 points.

Sheep South Bristols with 3 points

I jumped in on the usual-hope for X, B as a fall-back for my yearly wilderness hunt. Drawing sheep this year, I can feel it! Swinging for the fences with 'lopes and elk. Out of state Montana, maybe Colorado. Good luck everyone.
You max points on sheep ?

You and I will be competing for the same sheep tag.

Well I decided to quit procrastinating and got my CA apps In today. I was wanting to wait for the CO results on 6/1 but came to the conclusion it wasn’t really going to effect my CA hunt choices and I didn‘t want to chance missing the deadline.

Once CO results are released I will move on to apps in AZ and ID.

Good luck everyone! ...and thanks for your service CA_Wapiti and any other past/present service members! I hope you draw a nice tag your last year here in CA!

Horniac

Did you notice the success rate for the Likely hunt last year? They went way down. I spoke with the biologist and it sounds like a lot of the pronghorn on the actual Tables departed and went somewhere else!

Did you notice the success rate for the Likely hunt last year? They went way down. I spoke with the biologist and it sounds like a lot of the pronghorn on the actual Tables departed and went somewhere else!
I did, I wonder if people will see that and put in for the other units instead ?

I did, I wonder if people will see that and put in for the other units instead ?

I've been on a Likely Tables hunt with a buddy and it was a fun hunt. However, with max points, like I have, no way would I burn them on a Likely hunt this year!

The draw odds used to shift back and forth a lot. They would shift between P1 and P2 because of the odds in the hunting digest from the prior year. They would also shift a little from Likely to Lassen and back. You could go with the worst odds in the book and end up with better odds. It was very predictable. Seems to have stabilized in recent years.
The success has obviously always been high in both areas. Those low success numbers are crazy! Where did they go? I’ve hunted/helped on both several times each. Really hard to imagine Likely being difficult. Good luck either way you guys go. I went Lassen with 15 pts.

I also went Lassen with 15. I drew Likely Tables before points and was on the waiting period until they decided we could put in.
After this discussion and not having max points I probably should have applied for LT. I don’t even know can you modify your apps ? I think Lassen is better but gonna be a lot harder to draw.

I agree. This year will be interesting. Big shift to Lassen. Other states have had considerably more applicants than last year, which won’t help if it happens here.
I am in the same boat. Drew Lassen in late 80’s. Drew Lassen again after 10 year waiting period. Was in 10 year waiting period again when they did away with it. A few points behind max, but I can’t complain

I drew X-5B 8 years ago and spent a lot of time up there in the Lassen area. There was some big Antelope up there, if I had max points I would do Lassen for sure but at this point would take any California Antelope tag I could get.

Lassen 1st every year, go big or go home.

without max points, I’ll probably never draw, but at least I’m putting in for the best hunt available.

wife had a antelope tag in Nevada last year, she has a rifle tag in Utah this year, I have a Muzzy tag in Utah. I love hunting them.

Wyoming soon. And one of these years idaho will come through.

then I’ll be up for another Nevada tag.

I love this game we play.

I didn't, but I probably won't draw any way. Could always hunt the Garden or pay to hunt the Ranch, there's plenty of goats there.

Hunted it in 2018, on the goats all day, but then after first day those boys kept their distance!

I also went Lassen with 15. I drew Likely Tables before points and was on the waiting period until they decided we could put in.
After this discussion and not having max points I probably should have applied for LT. I don’t even know can you modify your apps ? I think Lassen is better but gonna be a lot harder to draw.
Was there any verdict on the ability to modify CA apps?

Don’t know if anyone else has seen this and maybe I am off but the last three times I have been up either hunting or helping Family in the Lassen period 2 hunt the antelope have been very very skittish
I know it’s 2nd period and all but I believe there are a lot more folks shooting a lot further distances then in years past I know there is a trend to do more long distance shooting but not sure if it’s making things tougher for those who don’t think 500 yards is close
Just my thoughts on what I’ve seen in Lassen P2 goats in recent years

Doing my CA apps tonight or tomorrow. I have max points for elk, sheep and antelope. Going for Deer points this year as my son won’t be able to hunt deer this year, so we’ll be another point up for next year.

I got my AZ app in yesterday swinging for the fence, and waiting on Co results before applying to ID. I’m a little worried as the capped ID elk units are selling out. ?

I reckon you might have a better chance than I
Nope not a max point holder to young so we are in the same playing field. That’s why we should have a system similar to either Nevada or Arizona where it gives guys a slightly better chance for the extra added years of applying.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom