Did I mess up getting Colorado Unit 43 Archery?

B

bruiserbuster

I drew a Unit 43 archery and don't have a clue about the unit. I will be hunting deer only. Does anyone have any info. about the unit or adivce? With the cost of fuel, I wanna be sure this unit has good opportunities. Thanks,

Sorry for your mess up:) I think you got a pretty good tag on your hands. Good luck, post pics this fall!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-08 AT 08:29AM (MST)[p]Some HUGE BUCKS call that high country home.

It is a great tag but a HARD HUNT and archery or early rifle is best. As far as where to hunt you might start where everyone else does by contacting the bioligist and wardens for the unit and areas you on looking at.

Good Luck.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

Why did you apply if you don't know anything about the unit?

Sorry, I had to ask.

Archer

Actually this was 3rd choice and I didn't think I would actually draw. With that being said, the little bit of research showed some good deer out of this are but there seems to be a lot of negativity on this forum for those units.

I wouldn't call it negativity.
Nobody is gonna give you any 'free' info unless you first help yourself. The biologists and wardens, as mentioned above, will get you going to start. Once you've begun your research there, others may see your effort and chime in.
It's definitely a lot of work to bag a good buck in an area you know nothing about. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-08 AT 07:34PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the words of encouragment, I have spent all day doing research and it seems to be a good area from what I'm now gathering. It seems that this unit has alot of good deer it's just accessing it to get to them that may be a problem. Anyone that would be willing to give advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

bruiser,

I have heard some good about 43. If you get in the high country with a bow you should see some very good bucks? That would be my guess anyway from what I have seen from the later hunts.

Thanks Bean,
I've been running and trying to get the old wind back. Beings I'm 37 and a firefigher, I try to stay in decent shape. The only thing is gonna be the altitude. Beings I live a sea level on the coast, the mountains will probably take some aclimating.

I had the archery tag two years ago, All I have to say is Go High. Unit 43 is Hot and Dry in the early seasons. Pick up a Archery Elk tag to make it a good hunt. Take the first deer you see!

Mnthunter,
Did you have any luck on that hunt? Is there alot of elk in the area as well?

Hunt and camp high,Keep checking the weather , bring in water if you are camping dry.
Get in a couple of days early and let your glasses scout alot of the mountain.
Pick only the groups of bucks that give a good chance at pulling off a stalk.
Will you kill a buck I don't know but you will see a bunch of them hope you can get close enough to them and have some pictures to post up.
There are some really great bucks in this unit. What area of the unit are you looking to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom