Did I see a Wolf?

larrbo

Very Active Member
I travel Highway 36/32 between Chester and Chico almost every weekend. Over the years I have seen deer, bears, mountain loins,
bobcats and a fisher. This morning my wife and I were about 7 miles west of Chester on Highway 36 when we saw an animal ahead trotting down the road. I slowed down and it came within 10' of my pickup, I now kick myself that I didn't take a photo. It had all of the characteristics of a wolf, the body was black and it had tan on the face and legs...my wife said that it had blue eyes.
I was then talking to a hunting buddy on the phone this afternoon and I told him what I had seen. He started laughing and said that he saw a mostly black animal two days before that he thought was a wolf. He saw the animal about 30 miles west of where I saw this today. Did I see a wolf or am I nuts.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-13 AT 08:54PM (MST)[p]Man I hope for the sake of the deer herds up there you didn't! I know the OR-7 or whatever that wolves name was hung out most of last summer up south of almanor. Thought he went back north but who knows...

larrbo, from your description, what else could it be? It has to be a wolf or some kind of dog breed. Was it bigger than a regular dog?

Eel

Larry, I wouldn't expect any kind of a straight answer from Fish & Game, as I'm sure you already figured.
There's alot more uncollared wolves out there than ones with collars. My mind tells me that too many Fish & Game people, both State and Federal, will ask you what you had been imbibling. Our eyes count for nothing and our years spent in the wild, as well!
If you think you saw a wolf, you probably did!

>Larry, I wouldn't expect any kind
>of a straight answer from
>Fish & Game, as I'm
>sure you already figured.
>There's alot more uncollared wolves out
>there than ones with collars.
> My mind tells me
>that too many Fish &
>Game people, both State and
>Federal, will ask you what
>you had been imbibling.
>Our eyes count for nothing
>and our years spent in
>the wild, as well!
>If you think you saw a
>wolf, you probably did!

This is so damn true it's scary. Just seeing this thread I did a little looking in to where that collared wolf was that cruised around northern CA last year. Funny, Oregon says he's in CA and CA says he's in Oregon. So who's telling the truth? Where is he? Betcha $$ he's in CA and the damn tree huggers found a way to hide him for fear someone would put a round in him.

Nick said, "...If you think you saw a wolf, you probably did!"

+1, i agree with Nick! From hunting with you, i know that you have a keen eye and see game better than most. Wolf(s)! Just what this area needs, NOT!!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom