DID SMACKDADDY PLACE AN ORDER???

About 30 years ago I built my Dad a gun cabinet and then at some point I remodeled it into a book case. After they both passed on we sold their house and I took possession of it again. I had no place to put it so I sold it. The people who bought it said they were going to use it to display their collection of bongs. I should have just burned it.

AshCabinet 001.JPG

About 30 years ago I built my Dad a gun cabinet and then at some point I remodeled it into a book case. After they both passed on we sold their house and I took possession of it again. I had no place to put it so I sold it. The people who bought it said they were going to use it to display their collection of bongs. I should have just burned it.

View attachment 60927
If that's your work, nice job! (y)

If that's your work, nice job! (y)
Yes, I built it. I made many just like it. I made 3 like that out of old growth curly Redwood that sold before I even made them. Gun cabinets with glass doors were popular back then. Not so much now as they're too easily broken into. I never did make one for myself.... :ROFLMAO:

Yes, I built it. I made many just like it. I made 3 like that out of old growth curly Redwood that sold before I even made them. Gun cabinets with glass doors were popular back then. Not so much now as they're too easily broken into. I never did make one for myself.... :ROFLMAO:
I love working with redwood because it's so easy on tools.

Anyway, I have a much greater respect for your talents with wood now.

bowing2.gif

I love working with redwood because it's so easy on tools.

Anyway, I have a much greater respect for your talents with wood now.

View attachment 61045
When I worked for a cabinet shop in Modesto I remember one huge house we built cabinets for. We did the kitchen, bathrooms, family room, utility room, garage, bedrooms, etc. The whole job had 93 drawers included. I learned how to make drawers on that job. :)

When I worked for a cabinet shop in Modesto I remember one huge house we built cabinets for. We did the kitchen, bathrooms, family room, utility room, garage, bedrooms, etc. The whole job had 93 drawers included. I learned how to make drawers on that job. :)
That sounds like a place I worked on when I was in Colo. during the mid-70s. It was a 'summer' house we did for cardiolgist from Lubbock, Tex. It was 3 stories on about 10 acres.

I spent an entire week just doing all the wood work in the master closet, which was about 10X 12. I lined it completely with aromatic cedar and did all sorts of shelves & drawers. The kitchen, which was also immense, got all oak cabinets that we made from scratch.

The contractor rented one of our cabins for the winter, so we rode together every day. We would stop for breakfast on the way & before the snows hit, we would spend some time on the way home by shooting prairie dogs with .22 rifles in one of the pastures.

View attachment 60927

Wow eel, that’s some nice work.

That’s beautiful eel, I can’t imagine how fancy one you got paid for looked.

You may be a horrible halibut fisherman but you can definitely put together a hell of nice paraphernalia display. Your father would be proud......

I say buy it back and burn it but you might get high doing that after them putting all of the bongs in there.
Great work Eel are you doing any of this during retirement? If so let me know LOL
My uncle left me one of the same kind but like you said they are too easy to break into. I sold it in Colorado and the guy I sold it to said " I'd like to see someone try to break into it" LOL

I no longer have the ability to do work like that as I sold all my tools when I made a career change. Shaper, jointer, nail guns, spray guns, etc. I can barely build a bird house now.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I decided to go big and bought a lot zoned light industrial to build a cabinet shop on. I submitted a set of plans to the building department and the planning department rejected it saying it was a wildlife sensitive area because it had a swampy area on the back of the lot. I would need to get a variance from them and the Coastal Commission, which would be almost impossible to do. It would take a lot of money and time. I had neither.

I should have bought the lot contingent upon being able to get a building permit but I was too ignorant at the time.

I was strapped financially by then and ready to just walk away from it when a member of the Planning Department called and said he'd buy me out because he felt bad about it. I took his offer if for no other reason than to save my credit.

I drove by about 6 months later and the swampy area was all filled in and some storage units were being built on the property. "Somehow" the member of the Planning Department was able to get it pushed through, no problem.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when I decided to go big and bought a lot zoned light industrial to build a cabinet shop on. I submitted a set of plans to the building department and the planning department rejected it saying it was a wildlife sensitive area because it had a swampy area on the back of the lot. I would need to get a variance from them and the Coastal Commission, which would be almost impossible to do. It would take a lot of money and time. I had neither.

I should have bought the lot contingent upon being able to get a building permit but I was too ignorant at the time.

I was strapped financially by then and ready to just walk away from it when a member of the Planning Department called and said he'd buy me out because he felt bad about it. I took his offer if for no other reason than to save my credit.

I drove by about 6 months later and the swampy area was all filled in and some storage units were being built on the property. "Somehow" the member of the Planning Department was able to get it pushed through, no problem.
That sucks bud looks like collusion on their side to me but what do I know.,

I no longer have the ability to do work like that as I sold all my tools when I made a career change. Shaper, jointer, nail guns, spray guns, etc. I can barely build a bird house now.
My wife wanted me to build a breadbox to match the kitchen cabs, but I doubt I'll ever get back into my shop. So do you wanna buy a bunch of that stuff since I no longer have a use for any of it??

I got everything you listed plus a lot more in my 40+ yr. collection like 10" radial, table & chop saws, 12" planer, 14" bandsaw & floor drill press, 48" lathe, 8" belt/10" disk sander, 14" scroll saw, 50 gal. compressor, all sorts of hand-held power sanders & saws, several special jigs for drawers/cabinet making, several nail gun species and a passel of other woodworking goodies.

Bring a really big UHaul & a helper to load it all.

My wife wanted me to build a breadbox to match the kitchen cabs, but I doubt I'll ever get back into my shop. So do you wanna buy a bunch of that stuff since I no longer have a use for any of it??

I got everything you listed plus a lot more in my 40+ yr. collection like 10" radial, table & chop saws, 12" planer, 14" bandsaw & floor drill press, 48" lathe, 8" belt/10" disk sander, 14" scroll saw, 50 gal. compressor, all sorts of hand-held power sanders & saws, several special jigs for drawers/cabinet making, several nail gun species and a passel of other woodworking goodies.

Bring a really big UHaul & a helper to load it all.
Nah, do like my parents did, let the kids deal with it. No free rides.:ROFLMAO:

Nah, do like my parents did, let the kids deal with it. No free rides.:ROFLMAO:
Trust me, they're going to have plenty to deal with if I don't get my a$$ in gear selling more of my lifetime accummulations.

I have a cabinet filled with fishing gear -- lures, tackle boxes, etc., at least 20 rods & a dozen reels. In another cabinet I have oodles of HO model railroad items that are all brandy new -- four old time locomotives, cars & two dozen or more rare Campbell kits for buildings, etc. Then there are the shelves loaded with outdoor & how-to books.

And then there's all my hunting gear, including a 12'x12' storage room filled with camping gear. Of course, there are the rifles, ammo, binocs, calls, knives, a closet full of hunting clothes, etc., etc.

Lastly, they will be tasked with finding somewhere for about 50 taxidermy specimens, which might be a difficult task.

Last edited:
Trust me, they're going to have plenty to deal with if I don't get my a$$ in gear selling more of my lifetime accummulations.

I have a cabinet filled with fishing gear -- lures, tackle boxes, etc., at least 20 rods & a dozen reels. In another cabinet I have oodles of HO model railroad items that are all brandy new -- four old time locomotives, cars & two dozen or more rare Campbell kits for buildings, etc. Then there are the shelves loaded with outdoor & how-to books.

And then there's all my hunting gear, including a 12'x12' storage room filled with camping gear. Of course, there are the rifles, ammo, binocs, calls, knives, a closet full of hunting clothes, etc., etc.

Lastly, they will be tasked with finding somewhere for about 50 taxidermy specimens, which might be a difficult task.
Our daughter will inherit the gold mine. The shaft and all..... :ROFLMAO:

You got any BH209? Asking for a friend.:ROFLMAO:

My kids probably don't want to inherit my stuff. :cool:

It's going to be a monumental task to sell it all. Me thinks they wil give much of it away.
This is why I quit taxidermy cold turkey. My BIL painted a big house for a lady who’s husband was a hunter.

She wanted it all gone. Me and BIL bought it all for $200. It filled a 16’ cargo trailer. We wanted the birds and small game stuff.

I now have his prize possessions gathering dust in my barn. I can’t bring myself to pull the horns off and toss them.

Last edited:
My yard ain't near big enough. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously, I have been selling a bunch already on sites like this one & eBay. A few weeks ago, I transferred $5K from PayPal into my bank account. That was the 2nd time this year, & I still haven't made a dent in the supply chain. Most of what I've sold have been books, but the shelves still look full.

This is why I quit taxidermy cold turkey. My BIL painted a big house for a lady who’s husband was a hunter.

She wanted it all gone. Me and BIL bought it all for $200. We wanted the birds and small game stuff.

I now have his prize possessions gathering dust in my barn. I can’t bring myself to pull the horns off and toss them.
I hear you. There's a LOT of money blowing in the wind, too. Just my sheep & the bobcat/snake mounts removed $4K from my checking account. I'm fairly sure the total has to be more than $150K for everything.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom