Different foods

WVHUNTER

Very Active Member
I have been going West for a hunt about every year for the last twenty years and with all the chain restaurants most of the food is the same but there is some differences between East and West.

We don't do much lamb and mutton, you could find it if you wanted it but there wouldn't be much. Tri-tip is hard to find. And of course no Hatch chili.

Chili here is chili con carne with hamburger, kidney beans, onions and red chili pepper. I have had Hatch chili verde with pork and hatch chili in Colorado I think it was. I have a friend that makes "white chili" with chicken breast, navy beans and Jalapenos to flavor it.

We are the home of the pepperoni roll. Just a yeast roll with slices of pepperoni in it. You can buy them at convenience stores. A coal miner fighting with his wife can stop at a convenience store and get a can of skoal, fill up his coffee thermos and get a bag of pepperoni rolls for lunch and be set for the day. A cook in Wyoming said she made Jalapeno rolls in similar way.

We have ramps, most of you probably don't know what they are. They grow wild, you can just go dig them in the woods in the spring. They aren't an onion but they are something like a green onion. Pungent odor and taste. They are good Covid protection. After you eat them no one will stay within six feet of you.

Cornbread and pinto beans is a staple here, all the people that grew up during the depression said they would have starved without. It was cheap. You have to get a little farther South before grits become a big thing. I did see a Wendy's in New Mexico that had a Jalapeno burger. Wouldn't see that here.

We eat cole slaw on our chili dogs, I think that's a regional thing not even an Eastern thing. Also eat cole slaw on a pulled pork barbeque but I think other people do that also.

That's all I can think of for now but interested to see what you guys have to say.

When it comes to hot dogs, I'm an equal opportunity eater. ;)

These below have a variety of toppings that include yellow mustard, chopped onions & jalapenos, sweet relish and some chili. I sometimes put sauerkraut on them as well.

Hotdogs.JPG

hotdogB2.JPG

These have somewhat of a more local flavor from my kitchen. And yes, we use a lot of jalapeno & chile peppers at our house.

Menudo

menudo2.JPG

Chicken Poblano chowder...

soup&sandwich3.JPG

Quesidilla with green chile

cheesecrisp2.JPG

Last edited:
That's some good looking Southwest fare there OutdoorWriter. The Chicken Poblano chowder and Menudo are both new to me.

Every strip mall in America has a Mexican, Italian and Chinese restaurant. Usually they aren't very good but occasionally you find a good one.

That's some good looking Southwest fare there OutdoorWriter. The Chicken Poblano chowder and Menudo are both new to me.

Every strip mall in America has a Mexican, Italian and Chinese restaurant. Usually they aren't very good but occasionally you find a good one.
Menudo, which is tripe in a spicy hot thin sauce, is supposedly the traditional Mexican hangover remedy, but I eat it all the time. So I make it about 18 qts at a time and freeze it in many small containers.

The chowder is a cream-style soup made with poblano peppers and chunks of white meat from chicken breasts. The stuff on top is diced green onions & cilantro with pieces of flour tortilla.

Now here are a few more tradional type Mexican meals from my archives.

Green chile burrito with refried beans

burrito.JPG

Chicken enchiladas with rice & beans

enchilada3.JPG

Hard shell tacos

taco3.jpg

Soft shell tacos

tacoB.JPG

I have been going West for a hunt about every year for the last twenty years and with all the chain restaurants most of the food is the same but there is some differences between East and West.

We don't do much lamb and mutton, you could find it if you wanted it but there wouldn't be much. Tri-tip is hard to find. And of course no Hatch chili.

Chili here is chili con carne with hamburger, kidney beans, onions and red chili pepper. I have had Hatch chili verde with pork and hatch chili in Colorado I think it was. I have a friend that makes "white chili" with chicken breast, navy beans and Jalapenos to flavor it.

We are the home of the pepperoni roll. Just a yeast roll with slices of pepperoni in it. You can buy them at convenience stores. A coal miner fighting with his wife can stop at a convenience store and get a can of skoal, fill up his coffee thermos and get a bag of pepperoni rolls for lunch and be set for the day. A cook in Wyoming said she made Jalapeno rolls in similar way.

We have ramps, most of you probably don't know what they are. They grow wild, you can just go dig them in the woods in the spring. They aren't an onion but they are something like a green onion. Pungent odor and taste. They are good Covid protection. After you eat them no one will stay within six feet of you.

Cornbread and pinto beans is a staple here, all the people that grew up during the depression said they would have starved without. It was cheap. You have to get a little farther South before grits become a big thing. I did see a Wendy's in New Mexico that had a Jalapeno burger. Wouldn't see that here.

We eat cole slaw on our chili dogs, I think that's a regional thing not even an Eastern thing. Also eat cole slaw on a pulled pork barbeque but I think other people do that also.

That's all I can think of for now but interested to see what you guys have to say.
We eat Pueblo chile’s here in Colorado, Hatch is a New Mexico thing.

Okay, it could have been Pueblo Chile and pork(did I spell that correctly) .It was Southern Colorado, does that make a difference?

“Colorado “ green chili is made with Hatch and or Pueblo Chile. If you go to a restaurant, you probably wouldn’t know which it was or could tell the difference. Many of the grocery stores sell Pueblo and the chile roasting stands sell Hatch. Both are excellent.

“Colorado “ green chili is made with Hatch and or Pueblo Chile. If you go to a restaurant, you probably wouldn’t know which it was or could tell the difference. Many of the grocery stores sell Pueblo and the chile roasting stands sell Hatch. Both are excellent.
A colleague from CSU Agricultural Experiment Station in Rocky Ford made the selections for the Pueblo Chile varieties so I’m a bit biased. I also think CSU Pinto beans are outstanding for some reason ;)

Enjoyed the thread WVH.

A favorite in our part of the county is Navajo Tacos.
74BECF22-737D-43E6-9E43-B2912E5C468C.jpeg

Then I lived in Alberta, these were a favorite.
French fries and gravy.

I ran into another in Up State New York a few years ago.

Grape Pie. WOW it was good. Can’t get grape pie in Utah.

Other Canadian food I miss are butter tarts and sausage rolls.

7E7416E4-53FC-46BD-8297-6C880CA378F0.jpeg

4A8BBB75-87CB-406F-B1DC-0BC6310662ED.jpeg

72D24ACB-A846-4ECB-B2D8-3FD1FC750FF1.jpeg

A954736F-6FAA-4CCE-B0AE-BD352C0E5730.jpeg

0C7804B9-6DEC-4454-A879-34B07154A13B.jpeg

E66DB3B0-56C2-4308-B9CF-C1ED321DBF24.jpeg

41638CA5-5842-4CAB-97E5-BD194B3F442D.jpeg

Grape pie is a new one to me. I do know people that eat gravy on French fries. My Grandson eats ranch dressing on his fries.

The Navajo taco looks good with flatbread.

A lot of tasty looking food there. To bad Chile’s don’t like me. I just make things with extra black pepper.

A colleague from CSU Agricultural Experiment Station in Rocky Ford made the selections for the Pueblo Chile varieties so I’m a bit biased. I also think CSU Pinto beans are outstanding for some reason ;)
As a side note. There are quite a few chile’s varieties sold as ‘Hatch’ it is a trade name. New Mexico passed a law that in order to be called ‘Hatch’ it must be grown in New Mexico. Sort of similar to “Olathe Sweet” sweet corn. There are a couple dozen varieties that get sold as Olathe Sweet.

Enjoyed the thread WVH.

A favorite in our part of the county is Navajo Tacos.
View attachment 38201

Then I lived in Alberta, these were a favorite.
French fries and gravy.

I ran into another in Up State New York a few years ago.

Grape Pie. WOW it was good. Can’t get grape pie in Utah.

Other Canadian food I miss are butter tarts and sausage rolls.

View attachment 38204

View attachment 38205

View attachment 38206

View attachment 38207

View attachment 38208

View attachment 38209

View attachment 38210
We always had Navajo tacos growing up. There is a variation on them I keaned from Missouri- make cornbread and cut each piece in half horizontally. Top with chili, lettuce,tomatoes,avocadoes,cheddar and salsa with some sour cream also. It is called Georgia tacos and is absolutely the finest comfort food I've had.

I always get 'Dove Creek' pintos, simply the best.

I live in northern NM and always would buy 'Hatch Chile' and have it roasted. About 8 years ago I decided to grow my own, and its 10 times better. I grow Parkers and Sandia's. The Parkers are fat meaty and med. hot, the Sandia's are long and slender and hot. I mix them for the perfect temp. Also I think the barrel roasters burn/over cook them. I do them on a gas grill and they come out perfect. Did buy some Pueblo one year and couldn't tell the difference from Hatch.

This is one of the more exotic creations of mine and perhaps a bit unusual considering I live in AZ, which isn't exactly the seafood capital of the world.

I call it Frutti Di Mare Fra Diavolo. It was a lab experiment for me since I had never made it before. Ingredients include angel hair pasta, clams, mussels, bay scallops, shrimp, calamari, lobster & Jonah crab claws. The results were mostly good. The only thing wrong was my overzealous pursuit of the Diavolo part. Rather than red pepper flakes, I used the Huy Fong Chili/garlic paste. That would have been fine if I had used only one heaping tablespoon, but alas, I used two. I guess I was thinking if one is good, two must be better. :rolleyes: So while it was tasty, it was also a bit tangy. Still, my bride went back for 2nds & 3rds on the pasta.

diavolo1.jpg

diavolo.jpg

Last edited:
Thew, that’s a Olympic Gold Metal
meal ODW, I don’t care where you live. You may be getting some years on you but it’s obvious you haven’t lost your appetite for good food.

Mutton and sour dough. I know sour dough ain't super original, but mutton in a dutch oven, or cast iron pan, I've found is an aquired taste. Our various hunting camps in the fall lead to 3 sheep gone. Very few things better than a mutton rib, crispy.

Catering to my Sicilian roots, this creation is braciole -- thin beef slices with prosciutto, onions, garlic, parsley & spices rolled in it.

From start to finish:

Rolled, tied & ready to cook
braciole1.JPG

Braised in olive oil

braciole2.JPG

Cooking in the tomatio sauce

braciole3.JPG

Done & ready to serve with angel hair pasta

braciole4.JPG

Yum. Let's eat

bracioleC.JPG

Last edited:
Thew, that’s a Olympic Gold Metal
meal ODW, I don’t care where you live. You may be getting some years on you but it’s obvious you haven’t lost your appetite for good food.
After I spent more than a month in the hospital & rehab in Feb./March 2020, I came home & haven't left the house since then. So I had to find something to do or else I would have gone stir crazy. I joined a couple cooking pages on FB and started posting meals & trying some different ones along the way. That's why I have lots of photos from the last year of consumable goodies.

The Italians came to my area over 100 years ago to work in the coal mines and their decedents are still here. So there are some good Italian restaurants around. At one of them the specialty is braciole. That is also the best steak place in town.

The early Italian immigrants were stone masons. There is still some beautiful stone work around at courthouses or old banks that was done in the early 20th century.

As a side note. There are quite a few chile’s varieties sold as ‘Hatch’ it is a trade name. New Mexico passed a law that in order to be called ‘Hatch’ it must be grown in New Mexico. Sort of similar to “Olathe Sweet” sweet corn. There are a couple dozen varieties that get sold as Olathe Sweet.
We get the fresh roasted “hatch” chilies here. I love the smell of them roasting. It almost makes it worth going to the walmart parking lot.

Incidentally, the WORST enchiladas I ever ate were in Hatch NM. It was at one of the 3 or 4 dives that had the sign “worlds best green chili”. I swear to gawd it was a can of cream of mushroom soup with some canned green chilies dumped in.

As someone who’s house is surrounded by beanfields, I second the fresh beans are best. My neighbors grow Anasazi beans also. (y)

Note that the beans you get in the bag at the store usually aren’t fresh, having sat in some cases for more than a year in a silo somewhere. To get fresh beans you need to know someone or go to your local farmers market.

Last edited:
I liked the advice on fresh dry beans. Apparently they don't grow dry beans in the South East. It may be too wet and humid.

Farm stores and vegetable markets will have bulk dry beans in the fall. There will be a barrel full and just scoop out what you want. These might be fresh beans.

This was another experiment with fried shrimp. I included the recipe at the end.

From start to finish:

Dry & wet sides with shrimp already marinating

friedshrimp1.jpg

Deep fried in canola oil

friedshrimp2.jpg

Ready to eat

friedshrimp4.jpg

friedshrimp5.jpg

This is how I make my meatballs in bulk for freezing. They get finished off when thawed by adding them to the tomato sauce for the appropriate uses.

Chopped garlic, onion, parsley & Italian bread crumbs
meatballs1.jpg

Getting it all mixed together with 5 lbs of ground beef & 2 lbs. of ground pork & a smidgen of olive oil. I do half at a time as is below.
meatballs2.jpg

Ready for lightly braising in olive oil
meatballs3.jpg

Next into the oven to bake for about 10 mins. at 350.
meatballs4.jpg

Meatball sandwich with mozzarella & parmesan cheeses
meatballsands2.JPG

meatballsands4.JPG

Served with a glass of red zinfandel
meatballsands5.JPG

Raviloi & meatballs
RavioliB4.JPG

Served with Caesar salad & zin
RavioliB.JPG

Last edited:
Some more hunting camp food. I did a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska that was mostly a spike camp hunt. We ate Spam, cheese, Pilot bread and MREs. The Spam and cheese was better than the MREs. Alaska is supposed to eat more Spam per capita than any state except Hawaii . I also had Dall sheep steaks just fried in a skillet. They were delicious, would have been better if it was my sheep but I didn't kill one.

In South Africa they would grind wild meat up with mutton. I had blesbuck ground with mutton. They would fry it loose with Worcester sauce and serve it with eggs for breakfast instead of sausage or bacon. I asked what they did with zebra and they said they ground it up with something else also. Also had a gemsbuck loin roast that was probably the best wild meat I ever had.

OutdoorWriter if you can buy fresh shrimp in Arizona in the desert I am extremely jealous because I can't buy it where I live, only frozen shrimp. I do make few trips each year to the South Carolina coast and there is plenty of fresh shrimp there. I do the low country boil, corn on the cob, red skin potatoes and shrimp with lots of Old Bay. Some people put sausage it in but I don't. Secret is to not overcook shrimp. Boil the corn and potatoes first then add the shrimp for two to three minutes and take it out of the hot water.

OutdoorWriter if you can buy fresh shrimp in Arizona in the desert I am extremely jealous because I can't buy it where I live, only frozen shrimp. I do make few trips each year to the South Carolina coast and there is plenty of fresh shrimp there. I do the low country boil, corn on the cob, red skin potatoes and shrimp with lots of Old Bay. Some people put sausage it in but I don't. Secret is to not overcook shrimp. Boil the corn and potatoes first then add the shrimp for two to three minutes and take it out of the hot water.
Nah, no such thing as fresh shrimp that I know of here unless I order it online. Most seafood we get is previously frozen, tho I do get live clams & oysters & lobsters. We own a timeshare in Mazatlan, Mexico, the self-proclaimed shrimp capital of the world, where we can buy them direct from the boats or in the central market before they're frozen. Although we can no longer use the timeshare now because of my health, when we did I always bought a kilo early on, which we snacked onover our stay. Sometimes I would buy a bunch to bring home, too, but shrimp are as expensive there as they are here. In fact, a good steak meal is normally cheaper in the Mazatlan restaurants.

One of the more exotic things I've eaten is 'whitebait' in New Zealand. I almost fell over when I fouind out they cost about $35 per lb.!!!!

the tiny fish in the raw

169971480_4240459599297667_7815366038777156844_n.jpg

fried into fritters with eggs

169880695_4240460115964282_8957210988207708707_n.jpg

170180556_4240565932620367_8421353548430100240_n.jpg

Last edited:
This is how I make my meatballs in bulk for freezing. They get finished off when thawed by adding them to the tomato sauce for the appropriate uses.

Chopped garlic, onion, parsley & Italian bread crumbs
View attachment 38306

Getting it all mixed together with 5 lbs of ground beef & 2 lbs. of ground pork & a smidgen of olive oil. I do half at a time as is below.
View attachment 38307

Ready for lightly braising in olive oil
View attachment 38308

Next into the oven to bake for about 10 mins. at 350.
View attachment 38309

Meatball sandwich with mozzarella & parmesan cheeses
View attachment 38314

View attachment 38310

Served with a glass of red zinfandel
View attachment 38311

Raviloi & meatballs
View attachment 38313

Served with Caesar salad & zin
View attachment 38312
I do mine the same way except I use veal instead of pork. My Grandma and Mom made the best meatballs. Lost them both in the last five years. Grandma was 112 and Mom was 91, I am working on getting their recipe down to taste the same but so far it is close but no banana's

I do mine the same way except I use veal instead of pork. My Grandma and Mom made the best meatballs. Lost them both in the last five years. Grandma was 112 and Mom was 91, I am working on getting their recipe down to taste the same but so far it is close but no banana's
This made me smile. My mom was a terrible cook, mainly because my dad was a picky eater. Although he was Italian, he didn't like the taste of either garlic or onion. So most of the Italian food my mom cooked was very bland. That included her meatballs & tomato sauce.

In contrast her mother, an immigrant from Sicily, was a great cook, and like many Italian families of my generation, Sunday was always dinner at grandma's for the whole clan. Her meatballs were to die for. She's long gone, having passed away in the mid-1970s,

Now fast forward to my marriage to a 1/2 Irish/1/2 English gal nearly 60 years ago. In the brief time she knew my grandma over the year we dated and after marriage before we moved from NJ to AZ, she learned how to cook a few things. But as a whole, she self-taught herself with a bit of help from me over the years and eventually became a decent cook. Although she makes a great sauce from scratch, she never mastered meatballs. And I repeatedly let her know with something like, "These aren't as good as my grandmother." She actually agreed, and then answered with something along the lines of, "If you don't like them, make them yourself."

So I decided after 59 years of bitching to take it into my own hands, so to speak. The batch I posted was the third one I had done, and the meatballs are about as close to grandma's as any that came before them.

I cannot remember my grandma using veal. I really like breaded veal cutlets, but for some reason veal is pretty scarce where we live.

This is another of my grandma's specialties from start to finish. Click the square thingie bottom right to enlarge.

This made me smile. My mom was a terrible cook, mainly because my dad was a picky eater. Although he was Italian, he didn't like the taste of either garlic or onion. So most of the Italian food my mom cooked was very bland. That included her meatballs & tomato sauce.

In contrast her mother, an immigrant from Sicily, was a great cook, and like many Italian families of my generation, Sunday was always dinner at grandma's for the whole clan. Her meatballs were to die for. She's long gone, having passed away in the mid-1970s,

Now fast forward to my marriage to a 1/2 Irish/1/2 English gal nearly 60 years ago. In the brief time she knew my grandma over the year we dated and after marriage before we moved from NJ to AZ, she learned how to cook a few things. But as a whole, she self-taught herself with a bit of help from me over the years and eventually became a decent cook. Although she makes a great sauce from scratch, she never mastered meatballs. And I repeatedly let her know with something like, "These aren't as good as my grandmother." She actually agreed, and then answered with something along the lines of, "If you don't like them, make them yourself."

So I decided after 59 years of bitching to take it into my own hands, so to speak. The batch I posted was the third one I had done, and the meatballs are about as close to grandma's as any that came before them.

I cannot remember my grandma using veal. I really like breaded veal cutlets, but for some reason veal is pretty scarce where we live.

This is another of my grandma's specialties from start to finish. Click the square thingie bottom right to enlarge.

View attachment 38448
My Mom did a cook book of her best recipes before she died and had it published. It even had our family sausage recipe in it from Italy. But something was left out on some of her recipes and only her or Grandma would know what that is. I'm working on it...LOL

My Mom did a cook book of her best recipes before she died and had it published. It even had our family sausage recipe in it from Italy. But something was left out on some of her recipes and only her or Grandma would know what that is. I'm working on it...LOL
If my mom did a cookbook with her best recipes, it would be a very small one with about four recipes. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 38448

What's the secret to frying eggplant? I like it but not when I try to cook it.

Do you bread it & all before you fry it? AND...the idea is not to cook it but to merely brown it so it's somewhat crisp on the outside. The actual cooking for parmesan takes place in the oven.

Now, if you want to merely fry it to eat, cut it in 1/4" thick slices, and bread it. But put enough oil in the pan to deep fry. Then be sure it's at least 375 deg. before you put the eggplant slices in it. It cooks quick; DO NOT fry more than 3-4 mins. You can do zucchini squash the same way as in below with my chicken fried steak.

chickenfried2.JPG

Do you bread it & all before you fry it? AND...the idea is not to cook it but to merely brown it so it's somewhat crisp on the outside. The actual cooking for parmesan takes place in the oven.

Now, if you want to merely fry it to eat, cut it in 1/4" thick slices, and bread it. But put enough oil in the pan to deep fry. Then be sure it's at least 375 deg. before you put the eggplant slices in it. It cooks quick; DO NOT fry more than 3-4 mins. You can do zucchini squash the same way as in below with my chicken fried steak.

View attachment 38464
Do you use an egg wash? Bread crumbs like Panko brand?

It burns easy Eel so if you want to do it Italian style peel it and slice it in about 1/4" slices dip in egg and then Italian bread crumbs.
Put butter in your pan medium heat brown on both sides that takes a few minutes on each side then take your frying pan and put it in the oven at 350 for about 10-15 minutes. Perfect Egg plant

Do you use an egg wash? Bread crumbs like Panko brand?
Yes, dip in eggs first. For eggplant parmesan I usually do flour w/seasonings added next, then the bread crumbs.

For frying to eat plain, I would just do the eggs with a mix of 1 cup flour & 2 tbsps. corn starch with seasonings. No Crumbs. Just remember to fry HOT & quick so it's not soggy.

Last edited:
I’m waiting for someone to come on and show us the camo sweater they knitted.

I do like the cooking stuff, or I did until the bait started getting eaten.
I thought the same when I found out what I was eating. I went back for thirds, tho.

Last edited:
So while it looks quite simple...

Last night I used a leftover chicken breast from a few nights ago to make a chicken salad sandwich with all the added goodies. With the chicken, potato & macaroni salads made from scratch & the deviled eggs, this meal took longer to create than a good ol' steak & taters meal. :cool:

chicksalad2.JPG

Last edited:
From the archives, another entree utilizing my Sicilian genes -- manicotti, meatball, hot sausage, a few mussels & red zin. Click little square lower right to enlarge for full effect.

This is for all you meat & tater dudes....click the little square bottom right to enlarge.

Last edited:
Then you'd probably like what I had last night, as well.

A nice juicy T-bone with herb butter, a mixed salad, some fresh green beans & good ol' fries.

View attachment 38553
Back when men were men. Makes me want to go out and fell an old growth redwood tree then go home and make love to my wife all night. Then go out the next day and do it all over again.

I mean that's what I used to do back in the day. :)

Back when men were men. Makes me want to go out and fell an old growth redwood tree then go home and make love to my wife all night. Then go out the next day and do it all over again.

You really know how old you are when your daughter decided to post this on FB yesterday. And yes, she reflects my Sicilian roots. Her BD was yesterday, and my son's, who is a year older, is May 13.

stacey.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Eel?

Is it Just Fall The Redwwod Now?:D

Today's entry....
Pulled pork served on steamed hamburger rolls. Cooked a pork shoulder roast in the crock pot for several hours with a top secret combination of root beer, sweet chili sauce, onions, garlic & salt & pepper. A small portion of homemade potato salad, an ear of fresh corn & a glass of leftover root beer filled the emptiness

pulledpork1.jpg

pulledpork2.jpg

We had breakfast for dinner last night.
1f644.png

Omelettes with chopped onions, jalapeños & cilantro with a touch of Louisiana hot sauce and some ham, fries & toast.

omeletteC.JPG

Ribeye and baked potatoe on my little charcoal grill last night in Rangely...
My favorite steak! That looks delicious.

Whenever they put prime rib roasts on sale (usually holidays) I buy two -- one to leave as a roast and the other gets cut into steaks.

My version:

ribeye.JPG

Last edited:
My favorite steak! That looks delicious.

Whenever they put prime rib roasts on sale (usually holidays) I buy two -- one to leave as a roast and the other gets cut into steaks.

My version:

View attachment 38629
Ribeye’s are the best, and your version looks delicious...
Your handle should be ChefOutdoorWriter...
Keep them coming everyone...

Ribeye’s are the best, and your version looks delicious...
Your handle should be ChefOutdoorWriter...
Keep them coming everyone...

A bit of the back story on my kitchen skills......

My journey into the kitchen kind of happened by accident about 30+ years ago when I was running the Outdoors Network Forum with my buddy in MD. I began holding an annual "Steenkin' Peeg Hunt" (javelina) where I invited about 10 guys from all over the country to come out and hunt each year, usually on either the San Carlos or Whte Mt. reservations so we could get permits easily. Noted bowhunters Corky Richardson, his dad George and one of their friends Norm Pike helped out with the guiding. Over the years, we hosted guys from as far away as FL, CT, RI and NYC. Several of the guys attended every one of the SPHs.

One year, we had the crew from Northwest Hunter in camp to film the hunt for the TV show. They made two 1/2 hr. segments out of it. Normally, we ran about 75% on tagging hogs, but there were a couple years where we had 100% success. It went on for about 10 years but then started getting too much of a chore for me.

It took me a month to get everything ready to go. We used two big pickup bed trailers with caps on them and other vehicles to haul all the camp gear. I spent a week before the hunt preparing many of the meals, that were then frozen and finished in camp. I would cook a big roast beef, slice it and freeze in Zip-locs. It was then a simple matter to pop the bags in a pot of water to heat. Add gravy, mashed potatoes, some corn or green beans, and voila. Did the same with pork chops and turkey breast.

We always had a lot of fun and some great poker games, too. And to think, it all started in an online web forum similar to this one.

Here's one of our sample menus for the last SPH in 2000:

Menu for Y2K SPH
Feb. 15 - Arrival Tues.

Dinner - Veggie and shrimp appetizers, grilled NY steaks, baked potatoes, salad, veggies, wine & beer (my house)

Weds.
Breakfast - on the road in Globe
Lunch - Sandwiches &.....
Dinner - BBQ Spectacular- sliced beef, pulled pork and baby back ribs, corn-on-the-cob, potato salad, cole slaw, bisquits, dessert.

Thurs.
Breakfast - Scrambled eggs with green chiles/cheese, breakfast steaks, hash browns, BB muffins
Lunch - Beef Barley Soup/sandwiches
Dinner - Salad, Ravioli, sauage and meatballs with eggplant parmigiana, Ital. garlic bread, dessert.

Fri.
Breakfast - Pancakes & Canadian bacon, muffins
Lunch - Chicken w/rice soup, hotdogs
Dinner - Stuffed potato skins, salad, roast beef/gravy, wide egg noodles, string beans/asparagus, bisquits, dessert.

Sat.
Breakfast - French toast, sliced sauage/bacon
Lunch - Turkey noodle soup, sandwiches
Dinner - Turkey breast/gravy, mashed sweet potatoes baked with marshmallows, reg. mashed potatoes, corn, craneberry sauce, bisquits

Sun.
Breakfast - Scrambled eggs w/ham & cheese, sliced ham, home fries, muffins
Lunch - Ham, Bean & Potato soup, sandwiches
Dinner - Mexican Fiesta -- Shrimp Vera Cruz, encliladas, tamales, burritos, refried beans, rice, chips & salsa and flan. (my house)

All evening dinners will include the usual array of appetizers, such as my home-grown smoked salmon; pickled Mazatlan shrimp; deep-fried, breaded elk; hot chicken wings;chips/salsa; black/green olives; cheese/crackers; celery, carrots, summer sauage, chicken fingers, pepper poppers (breaded, whole green chilies stuffed with cheese), etc. etc.

Orange, grapefruit, apple and V8 juice for breakfasts, and an assortment of beer, red wine and the usual jug of Country Time lemonade in addition to the pop.

Desserts will include cakes, pies and pudding. There also will be plenty of chocolate chip cookies, candy bars and crackers for daytime snacks in the field.
These are really old & bad scans of my camp kitchen.

Pork chops w/apple slices in the frying pan & stuffed potato peels redy to do in the oven.
13948.jpg

13949.jpg

The table, which seats at least 14, comes apart in three sections.
13946.jpg

SPHCAMP3.JPG

SPHCAMP5.JPG

Break.jpg

The meal de jour.....

Large shrimp ( <oxymoron) stuffed with pepperjack cheese, wrapped in bacon & broiled.

shrimp.JPG

shrimp1.JPG

Last edited:
OutdoorWriter, you forgot to put the coleslaw on your pork barbeque, LOL.

I have been in a lot of cook tents but none as elaborate as yours.

I was in British Columbia and the camp was log cabins. I had flown in a Piper Super Cub about 50 miles to get there. There was a propane kitchen stove there. I had to ask how did you get that here. They brought it in on a snowmobile trailer after it snowed.

Also had to ask how they got the horses there. Said they trailed them in and took two days. They would camp a night on the way. One horse did leave and go home on it's own while I was there.

OutdoorWriter, you forgot to put the coleslaw on your pork barbeque, LOL.

I have been in a lot of cook tents but none as elaborate as yours.

I was in British Columbia and the camp was log cabins. I had flown in a Piper Super Cub about 50 miles to get there. There was a propane kitchen stove there. I had to ask how did you get that here. They brought it in on a snowmobile trailer after it snowed.

Also had to ask how they got the horses there. Said they trailed them in and took two days. They would camp a night on the way. One horse did leave and go home on it's own while I was there.
Funny because we DO usually have both the tater salad & coleslaw with that meal. Not sure why we didn't that night, but maybe we didn't have any cabbage.

That cook tent is the result of several years in the making. I bought the main roof structure, then bought the heavy-duty silver tars and had a tent company cut & fit them All the corners are held together with 3" wide Velcro from top to the bottom, and the front even has a zippered door. I used low-pile Astroturf for the floor. The cooking stove was from an RV surplus place. I built a plywood box with handles and added screw-in copper pie legs. My wife worked for a funeral service for many years. The table is made from the plywood lids they put on the top & bottom of coffins for shipping bodies by air. I'm going to be selling the whole set-up shortly.

Now..this is kinda of eerie because it sounds as if you were in the same camp as I was in the mid-1980s. I killed a nice moose & a mountain 'bou. EVERYthing you stated fit. I just don't recall if the kitchen had a propane set-up, though. Sooo...were you by chance near Liard Hot Springs, and did you ferry in with the Cub from a strip on a ranch?

Last edited:
tMifEFk.jpg

GCMMKCo.jpg

The cabins had been constructed with logs on site. If they needed a board they just cut it out of log with a chain saw. Of course eel and Elkassassin could do that but that's past my skill with a chain saw.
Funny because we DO usually have both the tater salad & coleslaw with that meal. Not sure why we didn't that night, but maybe we didn't have any cabbage.

That cook tent is the resut of several years in the making. I bought the main roof structure, then bought the heavy-duty silver tars and had a tent company cut & fit them All the corners are held together with 3" wide Velcro from top to the bottom, and the front even has a zippered door. I used low-pile Astroturf for the floor. The cooking stove was from an RV surplus place. I built a plywood box with handles and added screw-in copper pie legs. My wife worked for a funeral service for many years. The table is made from the plywood lids they put on the top & bottom of coffins for shipping bodies by air. I'm going to be selling the whole set-up shortly.

Now..this is kinda of eerie because it sounds as if you were in the same camp as I was in the mid-1980s. I killed a nice moose & a mountain 'bou. EVERYthing you stated fit. I just don't recall if the kitchen had a propane set-up, though. Sooo...were you by chance near Liard Hot Springs, and did you ferry in with the Cub from a strip on a ranch?
I was with Sikanni River Outfitters near Pink Mountain, BC. Mike Hammett owned it but I think he has passed away. Not sure who is running it now .

Okay, no
View attachment 38709

View attachment 38710

The cabins had been constructed with logs on site. If they needed a board they just cut it out of log with a chain saw. Of course eel and Elkassassin could do that but that's past my skill with a chain saw.

I was with Sikanni River Outfitters near Pink Mountain, BC. Mike Hammett owned it but I think he has passed away. Not sure who is running it now .
Not the same outfit. We didn't have mountains anywhere that high.

The one I hunted with was run by Ted Cobbett. He had a ranch a few miles off the highway near Liard Hot Springs. The place had a short airstrip, barn, main house and a few cabins for overnighting. From there, it was about a 15-min. flight into the base camp, where there was main dinning/kitchen cabin & several small cabins for two hunters each.

The strip at this camp was pretty nerve wracking. It was real short and carved out of the bush. On my trip in, we were carryning my gear & had a 4'x8' sheet of 3/4" plywood strapped to the struts on both sides of the Cub. Ted didn't realize they would behave like kites when we took off. To say it was an interesting flight would be negligent. :ROFLMAO:

I spent only two nights in the base camp, coming & going. The rest of the 10-day hunt my indian guide & I spent spike camping by horseback. It became interesting when we began to run out of food because the weather prevented any air drops that were scheduled. We ere down to some tomato soup, & two potatoes the day I killed my moose. That night, we feasted on flap meat.

Who’s ever it is, only a great cook would have a kitchen like that. It’s Boone an Crockett grade.
First off, I'm curious; where did you grab those photos?

More than a decade back, when I finished the remodel, which combined the old kitchen & a separate dinning room, my wife proclaimed it as her "kitchen to kil for." I built all the cabinets from scratch, using recycled 3/4" pine paneling. It had been removed from a historic downtown Phoenix building to clear the way for Chase Field, the home of the AZ Diamondbacks.

I had stripped both rooms down to the studs & ceiling rafters. The whole project, including the addition of a dishwasher & disposal which weren't part of the old set-up, cost me just a tad over $5K. The counter tops were $1400 of that. I would have made them too, but my wife wanted the rounded edge, which had to be done with a special machine in Tucson. I did the install, however.

During the entire project, which took nearly a year, I kept the kitchen functiohnal -- albeit a bit dusty at times.

This is the old kitchen when we were getting ready to tear it apart.

Through the backdoor, which disappeared when I added the new family room after the kitchen job.
oldkitchen4.jpg

Door to dinnng room at far left in the next two photos. Wall behind fridge got "disappeared."
oldkitchen1.jpg

Soffit & overhead cabinets behind clock also got "disappeared."
oldkitchen3.jpg

oldkitchen2.jpg

This is during demolition. Rest of ceiling came down as I installed can lights throughout.
during5.jpg

Last edited:
These are a few more of the new kitchen, which is 12'x22' now.

There are a total of 11 can lights. The pot rack, shown below & in the earlier photos, consists of 2" & 3/4" copper pipe. The hooks are heavy electrical ground wire that were formed on a jig I made for uniformity.
overall3.jpg

The 8' center island is on wheels. One door is a pullout with two lg. trash cans (reg. & recyc.), one has a lazy Susan and the other two have two pull-out shelves in each. There are shelves for cookbooks on either end.
overall2.jpg

The faux crown molding around the ceiling is sheetrock in 3 layers of 8", 6" & 4" which were mostly scrap pieces. It was probably the most time-consuming endeavor of the whole project. :ROFLMAO:
glassdoors.jpg

Pullout spice drawers next to stove.
spicedrws.jpg

The copper-plated sink hardware was $625!!!!
faucet.jpg

The copper door inserts are above the fridge & microwave. They are nail-punched with image in Talavera backsplash tiles.
copperdoors.jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom