Dir Thompson Can't hunt

J

jamaro

Hey Guys...
It looks like our Game and Fish Director lost his hunting privileges for 2 years...
You can read my take on the issue and read more about it on my website...
www.chasingtherut.com

Jason

Lets see, Thompson got in trouble for killing an animal on someone else's property. Son thinks he wasn't punished enough. Lets hear what you think would be fair. I would love to have the judge read it at your next hearing. Can't get away all the time...

By Policy the Max was 3 years... I think the landowner can got after him if they want...
J

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-08 AT 12:49PM (MST)[p]SonofSouth and I both aren't favored by the Dept. I can care less , they do have some good people there , some are friends of mine , game wardens included , a few really great guys , but the dept has their fair share of counterfeit joes>>>>> and they know who they are.... I just feel that the law/judicial system does favor those who are in good graces with people like the Governor and the like. Had this same exact deal happened to you or I , I assure you it would have been a totally different turn out as well we should be punished according to the law. I know residents who have entered the draw and haven't drawn in far more than 2 years , so this is very much a slip under the carpet type ordeal. It proves that the society of governing officials can and will work to benifit those whom it/they want it too.

Oh, I don't know about that. I don't think the system favors Thompson over regular guys that kill game out of their area. Or even the ones that tag someone elses game. Ask Son or Sonora, they might have some input on this.

No, wait a minute, I am mistaken. Thompson did lose his license for two years. Lets see, what happened to the regular guys? Hmmmm..

NOTHING.

Hooked on Coues,
I can't get a pulse on your posts, don't know if you are trying to sling mud about Son or Sonora , and don't care. The fact is, if a hunter is caught breaking the law , they should be punished according to the law, across the board. Now you damned well know the director was let off easy. He is the DIRECTOR OF THE NEW MEXICO GAME AND FISH DEPARTMENT, he should be setting the example, he should have known where he was or how to use his GPS.With that said, he is a man who isn't perfect and can and will make mistakes, that is fine and understandable. Do I think it was an easier penalty? Yes I do and I feel that his position also lent to making this decisiona lighter penalty. Has he had past law breaking actions? No I don't think so , so this too may have benifited in his direction, also of which it should.Now here is the question , how does judges deal with future incidents such as this? Do they penalize light in favor of a hunter who has no prior law breaking incidents and only go max penalty on others ? Where is the balance? What is a deciding factor as to how penalties will be handed down? I imagine there is just too much to discuss in order to figure it all out.
But if a stiff penalty , say a 5 year in-eligablity to participate in the big game draw and a hefty fine was put as a penalty with no reduction of time, across the board , I assure you , more hunters would be paying attention to where they are, think twice of putting someone elses tag on an animal or shooting an animal in another unit! Across the board , regardless of who you are or if you have ever been penalized through the Game & Fish.

Agreed. Punishment should be consistent, you are absolutely right. SOmetimes the system doesn't work fairly.

They said on the news that Thomson lost a deer and an oryx tag this year too because of the revocation. I guess the difference I see is the guy that makes a mistake should get a break, the guy that consistently breaks the law should get hammered. I think Thomson just screwed up...

I guess they decided that his infractions weren't petty...

I am all for the guy that can admit mistakes and take his licks and press on. At least he didn't get into an argument on ethics.

I would be curious to see what the commission has ruled on similar cases regarding revocation. Your point makes me wonder what kind of penalties are being levied.

Wow I didn't know about the oryx tag. Was it a Once in a Lifetime hunt or dep tag? If it was a OIL tag than the penalty was severe. Yes I too am interested in how judges rule. I know in some southern counties there are a handful that will dang sure hammer a guy and also know up in Rio Arriba the "Good oleBoy" factor has come to play....It can only benifit NM outdoors as a whole and or hurt NM outdoors , so I really believe our judicial system must work consistant towards the State's benifit first. And I feel the system needs to absolutely just hammer poachers and hard. We need to do our part to help out the G&F as many a times it's a matter of our wardens needing to catch these idiots with proof. I lost some friends over this. I spoke to them about their wrong doing and the end result was we just pressed on in different ways, looking back years later I wished it hadn't turned out as such but I can only control my own actions , not theirs and givin the chance now, I'll dang sure make the call. I HATE POACHERS! PERIOD....

I dont know if it was OIL or not.

You are righ, poachers suck. I think the worst of it is the guys bustin the rules to get the picture on a magazine. Like Kirt Darner syndrome.

Must be overcompensating for a little willie.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom