DIY for Nevada Elk

Rx

Putting as a Non Resident for Nevada..question to ask
Does one really need a guide or can I pull this off on my own?

Love to get your opinion.

Kris

diy opening day 2017. Never set foot in that country until two days prior to the season opening. Blessed and grateful. You can do it.

43E1FF69-8AD8-45D8-BEF2-05BC7F12A89A.jpeg

I have a few points but I just can’t afford a guide.. got enough for a TAG if I’m luck enough to draw!

Kris
No you do not really need a guide. Especially if you can’t afford one.
However big Bulls typically do not come easy on any of the Nevada hunts.
Having a guide that is experarea would definitely increase your odds for success.
What is your physical ability?
What weapon type and seasons are you considering?
What areas will you be applying for?
What class of bull are you wanting?
How many non-resident points do you have?
How much time will you have to spend for the hunt?
These are all important questions to consider when a person is deciding whether they need to hire a guide or not.
The odds of a nonresident drawing a bull elk tag in Nevada are very slim. Especially with not many points.
If you think you may need a guide you might consider saving your money so when you eventually do draw you can afford to hire one.
Have you checked into what guides are typically charging for an elk hunt these days?

OK. I have 17 points now and haven't drawn, but I am picky on the tag. Good luck and shoot straight!

Like Dan I'm at 18 points and only put in for the best archery hunts. I don't even apply for rifle or muzzy hunts since they're all way too late IMO.

As for needing a guide...I'd say you don't. I've been in NV on a few hunts and with a bit of scouting and effort great elk can be found. Easier though on the earlier archery hunts.

Kris
No you do not really need a guide. Especially if you can’t afford one.
However big Bulls typically do not come easy on any of the Nevada hunts.
Having a guide that is experarea would definitely increase your odds for success.
What is your physical ability?
What weapon type and seasons are you considering?
What areas will you be applying for?
What class of bull are you wanting?
How many non-resident points do you have?
How much time will you have to spend for the hunt?
These are all important questions to consider when a person is deciding whether they need to hire a guide or not.
The odds of a nonresident drawing a bull elk tag in Nevada are very slim. Especially with not many points.
If you think you may need a guide you might consider saving your money so when you eventually do draw you can afford to hire one.
Have you checked into what guides are typically charging for an elk hunt these days?
I don’t have many points but I really can’t afford a guide. They are running about 5 to 7 k.. can’t do this especially now with possible economic down turn
I would be hunting Archery and I can locate them pretty good..
I just wanted to get a feel, since I would go in blind not know a single section of that area.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me making a sound decision?
Kris

Like Dan I'm at 18 points and only put in for the best archery hunts. I don't even apply for rifle or muzzy hunts since they're all way too late IMO.

As for needing a guide...I'd say you don't. I've been in NV on a few hunts and with a bit of scouting and effort great elk can be found. Easier though on the earlier archery hunts.
Right on! Bwht4x4

Right on! Bwht4x4
I think the most important thing you can do is apply for the best elk hunts NV has to offer. The best units will have the best opportunity to kill a good to great bull DIY! Here's me and a buddy unguided in 2014. Both are archery bulls with one from UT and the other from NV. They're not giants that both units are known for, but we did it without a guide, had a blast and saved $10k to $12k in guide fees!!!

2014 elk hunt_NV-UT - Copy.jpg

I think the most important thing you can do is apply for the best elk hunts NV has to offer. The best units will have the best opportunity to kill a good to great bull DIY! Here's me and a buddy unguided in 2014. Both are archery bulls with one from UT and the other from NV. They're not giants that both units are known for, but we did it without a guide, had a blast and saved $10k to $12k in guide fees!!!

Right on Bwht4x4.. thats what I'm talking about!
I don't need a giant.. I just need an opportunity..
Thanks for your encouragement!

You will most likely get a bigger bull going guided. Saying that, going DIY is always more fulfilling in my opinion. I went DIY archery elk NV and got one opening day I was very pleased with.

I went DIY in NE Nevada a couple years ago. Worked out well. But take some friends along, its a lot of work.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom