DIY SD Prarie Dog shoot

GomerPyle

I know no one will give specifics. But I am just looking for some input on anyone who is familiar with the Ft. Pierre Grasslands in regards to PD hunting.

Me and the boys are doing our annual Pheasant hunt in Presho and are flying in a few days early and wanted to take a stab at setting up and trying to pick off a few PDs for a 2 to 3 days before our Pheasant hunt.

We are not opposed to paying a trespass fee to shoot them, however we normally like to drive and see the scenery and do things on our own.

I have marked out about 20 different PD towns within the public land within the grassland, but was wondering if anyone had any guidance on what parts are inaccessible/closed, and if there's anywhere to avoid based on past bad experiences

Also.... if anyone has input on the dates we're headed out there. Nov 4-6

I know it's late in the year but we have had hot weather every year out there the last 4 years

Will the dogs be around? Quantity isn't a huge issue.... like I said. Hanging out, bonding, and taking in the sights are important

Are there any areas not allowed during those dates??

Any and all input is highly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Gomer

If you want to do some shooting maybe pick up some targets and set them up. No need for senseless killing of prairie dogs as their population is already hurting in many areas.

Good luck on your hunt!

I have hunted many times with Snake Den Lodge in Presho...great experiences...best dogs ever. Call them and ask your questions they will be very helpful.

If you want to do some shooting maybe pick up some targets and set them up. No need for senseless killing of prairie dogs as their population is already hurting in many areas.

Good luck on your hunt!
I’ve had a front row seat to prairie dogs for a long time now. I don’t believe you could kill them all with a gun. The plague kills more dogs than guns ever will.

That said, after a semi load or two myself, I don’t shoot them anymore. And I wish my neighbors wouldn’t let people either. It can be like a war zone at times, and most people don’t seem to understand respecting private property anymore.:mad:

I’ve had a front row seat to prairie dogs for a long time now. I don’t believe you could kill them all with a gun. The plague kills more dogs than guns ever will.

That said, after a semi load or two myself, I don’t shoot them anymore. And I wish my neighbors wouldn’t let people either. It can be like a war zone at times, and most people don’t seem to understand respecting private property anymore.:mad:
Agreed.

I can’t shoot them anymore. There’s none left except in the city fields, absolutely none. I’m talking about northern AZ. In the late 80s and early 90s, it was a slaughter. Me and dad would go out and work as a team. A shooter and spotter, and we would switch off. It usually was 50+ rounds each of reloaded centerfire for the long shots and rimfires for the close head shots. We would come back empty and reload as needed and go back out in a few days to another dog town. I miss those days when there was no shortage. SD and ND I bet are different than AZ because they have the weather needed to grow them. We can go over 100 days without water.

I can’t shoot them anymore. There’s none left except in the city fields, absolutely none. I’m talking about northern AZ. In the late 80s and early 90s, it was a slaughter. Me and dad would go out and work as a team. A shooter and spotter, and we would switch off. It usually was 50+ rounds each of reloaded centerfire for the long shots and rimfires for the close head shots. We would come back empty and reload as needed and go back out in a few days to another dog town. I miss those days when there was no shortage. SD and ND I bet are different than AZ because they have the weather needed to grow them. We can go over 100 days without water.
I was in the same place in the late ‘70’s, and did the same thing. We had more fun with my buddy’s Anschutz target 22 than anything else. Haven’t been up around there except passin thru for a long time; didn’t know they were gone.

They are pests around here, but being woke we use a giant vacuum cleaner to suck them up and relocate them. That kills more than guns also. :rolleyes:

Guess a lot of you haven't ran cows out in a PD area's

Try looking on Craigslist you might find a ad or 2 for area's that charge for it.

Used to know a taxidermist that tanned the hides and made mini-rugs , complete with little beady eyes and all. They looked like miniature bears.

That is right before rifle deer season so I’m guessing you may ruffle a few feathers doing it then, but it is public I guess. I’d be prepared for some looks and comments though. I’d be surprised if any private landowners would let you do it then either if they are going to deer hunt.

Towns ain't what they were 10-15 yes ago but we venture out and find plenty. No shortage. Little phuckers can sure rip up some good ag ground.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom