DIY success on the Kaibab

Cavalier

It took me 16 years to get the coveted North Kaibab 12AW Mule deer tag.
I went to our hunt area 2 weeks early. With weather report showing good weather, I pulled my 5th wheel & ATV through 12" of snow 50 miles southwest of Jacob Lake to the camp site. I scouted the area 7 days and my friend JR (who also drew with me) joined me and we scouted another 4 days learning the hunt area. My Brothers Ken & Rod & Nephew Barrett, from N Mex. joined the hunt team on opening day. JR's team included Eli & Darrell. The hunt went well and as the hunt days past more and more buck were being seen. By the 5th day the bigger bucks were chasing does wildly, giving better odds at a decent buck. Day 4 JR scores on a great buck and day 5 I took mine. With all the rutting action, I would have loved to stay the rest of the hunt to take pictures of some fantastic bucks. Thanks to my hunt team for its support. And thanks to my wife for much patience through out our summer scouting trips and the almost three gone on the hunt. It's a fun hunt. Many bucks seen that included some very quality bucks.
https://www.facebook.com/rodney.ada...x69mDqPs-M6RXm6S8skd1Numha2fY6ZE&__tn__=-]K-R
https://www.facebook.com/barrett.ad...x69mDqPs-M6RXm6S8skd1Numha2fY6ZE&__tn__=-]K-R
https://www.facebook.com/jr.cope?__...x69mDqPs-M6RXm6S8skd1Numha2fY6ZE&__tn__=-]K-R

JR.2.JPG

Kaibab 2020.jpg

Congrats on some beautiful bucks!! I have been putting my boys in for deer in Arizona since they were 10 years old and hope they get the chance to do this hunt at some point. Looks like a blast!

Congratulations to both of you! Sounds like an awesome hunt I hope to be apart of one day! Did you draw with 16 points as a resident I assume ?

BradA,
Yes, putting in 16 years makes 18 pts as a resident. You get a loyalty point and a point for hunter safety.

Last edited:
Good bucks! I have 9 points for Kaibab, wondering was this the late season or early? I'm also wondering if I should hold out for the late tag or is the early season worthwhile?

Good bucks! I have 9 points for Kaibab, wondering was this the late season or early? I'm also wondering if I should hold out for the late tag or is the early season worthwhile?
My hunt was the late hunt. Early or late has to be a personal choice. Both are great hunts but the late hunt is much harder to get drawn.

Well done guys, 2 beautiful bucks. Just returned tonight from 3 days Hunting the Kaibab with my camera. I waited until Monday after the hunt was actually over so I didn't jack up anyone's actual hunt. Saw 1 whopper buck for about 5 seconds and many other bucks smaller than what you harvested. It was my first trip up there and really enjoyed it. I was surprised to see many smaller 130/140 type bucks actually breeding does.

I've got 7 and I'm putting 1st choice as late, with second as early. I'd rather hunt sooner rather than later. But with the way the AZ draw works, there's a possibility of anything. Sometimes you see guys on here post a late Bab or Strip hunt with only 1-2 points!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom