Do I have a Ben Nielsen Shoulder Mount?

tndrloin

First-time poster, currently on a fact-finding mission!

I won this beauty on an online auction knowing nothing other than what it looked like. I'm very saddened to realize that this gorgeous specimen is just too big for my modest home.

Before I start ways/part ways with any piece, I love to learn it's origin and history. I noticed "Ben Nielsen" written on the back. Curious to who that was, it lead me here where I learned he's quite the accomplished taxidermist!

Can y'all help me confirm if this is in fact one of his?

Additionally, if this piece is of any sentimental value or has any other significance, I'd love to know so I may find her the best new home possible.

Thanks in advance!

PXL_20210722_233402342_2.jpg
muledeer2.jpg

You got lucky this is one of his modern pieces titles “CWD”. Very rare, the form the deer is mounted on is actually a doe form that is made to draw the focus from the gigantic rack to the body that signifies the struggle of society during a pandemic.

Super rare piece, pre covid I’m sure you would get 5 to 10 dollars.

I know next to nothing about the what to look for in quality; that's not quite what I'm after. I'm honestly asking for serious answers.

I think it looks great? I'll try elsewhere for answers and hopefully find a group that might be able to help.

Odd post and not real surprised at the response from this crowd. I’m guessing if this is legit your probably not a hunter and googled mule deer forums or something. What ya got there is kind of a ratty mount of a crab claw buck. Does t mean it’s not neat or that it can’t be enjoyed. It’s certainly unique. If you were trying to sell it you could probably get a couple hundred bucks out of it from someone who want a quirky addition to there decor. If you like it,keep it and appreciate it for a unique wall decoration

I'm surprised that the username tndrloin was available. That is a beautiful mount, Tristate should take some notes. Thank you for sharing. Good luck finding more info.

Hi Tndrloin, (Great Name) welcome to the Forum. I am absolutely no help to you but you might have a little better luck in the Taxidermy page a little further down the list. Thank you for appreciating mule deer!

First-time poster, currently on a fact-finding mission!

I won this beauty on an online auction knowing nothing other than what it looked like. I'm very saddened to realize that this gorgeous specimen is just too big for my modest home.

Before I start ways/part ways with any piece, I love to learn it's origin and history. I noticed "Ben Nielsen" written on the back. Curious to who that was, it lead me here where I learned he's quite the accomplished taxidermist!

Can y'all help me confirm if this is in fact one of his?

Additionally, if this piece is of any sentimental value or has any other significance, I'd love to know so I may find her the best new home possible.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the site. I would reach out to him directly. As many have mentioned, the quality of that mount is not comparable to what he is currently producing, but you never know. I guess it could be a really old piece He has a number on his instagram site:
https://www.instagram.com/quakie_pass_taxidermy/?hl=en

While I understand it must have been hard to take me seriously, I sincerely appreciate those who recognized I'm a genuine wanderer looking for your expertise.

The quality is of no matter to me, it's the time and frame of reference that I'd be honored to learn. Craftsmanship is craftsmanship; it only gets better with time and experience. I'm an oil painter myself, and gawd do I not wish on anyone to see my early pieces.

I'll leave y'all be for now and reach out to Ben directly to learn more.

Shoutout to @JPickett , @schoolhousegrizz , @Bigwiffy , @3x2 & @nripepi

Hey tndrloin!

Sorry!

I Honestly Thought one of JOKESTERS here was Messin With us!

It's Not A Quality Mount!

But Hey!

Maybe it was the Guys First Mount Job?

It's Kinda Why I Don't Do Taxidermy Work!:D

lol at the guys in this thread that took this post seriously. Literally Laugh Out Loud hard!!

so let me get this straight, y’all think an antifa looking chick from Austin creats an account knowing what a tenderloin actually is with the worst taxidermist head you’ve ever seen? I’ve got a flat earth theory to sell you please PM. To the Op, I applaud your trolling skills thanks for the laugh!!????

Last edited:
She deserves an award or even a free Phone Skope adapter for initiating & posting her own thread... instead of digging up some 20 year old relic from the archives
Hey- I truly enjoyed that antelope on Mars storyline. Maybe one gets an award for bravery, the other for originality.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom