Do you Get Tired of Fried Backstrap???

Blank

Long Time Member
It’s hard to beat just fried, or chicken fried venison backstrap. Try a couple of these, if you're bored. If you're kitchen-challenged, might want to get the better half to help!!

Sautéed Elk Steaks w/ Carmelized Onions and Plum Confite
Ingredients
1-2# venison backstrap, sliced into 1/2” cutlets
1/4 cup unsalted Butter
2-3 cups sliced onions (either white or red)
6 ripe blue plums, pitted and sliced in quarters or halves, depending on size. You can remove skin if desired.
1/2 cup beef stock
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/3 cup of cream sherry (or brandy, if desired)
1 tsp sage
1/2 tsp black pepper

Sauce-
In a sauce pan, melt the butter on low heat, and cook onions for about 8-10 minutes until soft
Add plums, beef stock, sherry, brown sugar, sage, and fresh ground black pepper.
Simmer on LOW heat until the liquid is evaporated, and it starts to thicken
Should look almost like runny jam. Set aside, off the heat.

Cooking-
Prepare your meat into 1/2” cutlets, pound down to 1/4” thick and tenderized.
Mix the AP flour, salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you prefer.
Dredge meat, and let sit in refrigerator for 20 minutes (can do prior to making sauce). Dredge again just prior to frying.
In sauce pan, heat butter to a fast bubble, being careful not to burn.
Brown meat on both sides, then add sauce over meat and pan and simmer on LOW for 10-15 minutes.
Serve with sautéed veggies and/or wild rice.

Venison Currant Mole
Ingredients-
1-2# venison backstrap, sliced into 1/2” cutlets, pounded down to 1'4"
Seasoned AP flour, with S&P
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced shallots
2 cups brown sauce (made ahead of time - sautéed butter, fine chopped onion, celery, carrot, flour for roux, 4-6 cups beef stock, salt, pepper, bay leaf, tomato puree - strain after simmering 20-30 minutes)
1/2 cup cream sherry
1/3 cup red currant jam or jelly (can substitute any tart red jam, if desired)
1 Tbsp shaved dark chocolate

Cooking
Melt butter over medium heat, until bubbling
Dredge slices in flour and brown both sides. Add the shallots. Do NOT brown or burn shallots.
Add sauce, jam/jelly, sherry, and chocolate shavings
Reduce heat to Low and simmer 8-10 minutes. Stir gently to prevent sticking.
Serve with choice of veggies and rice sides.

Elk Schnitzel (hint of lemon)
(W/ bacon slice and egg, if you want, for breakfast)
Ingredients
1-2# venison backstrap, sliced into 1/2” cutlets, pound down to 1/4” to flatten and tenderize. Do not tear meat, but the thinner the better!.
Seasoned AP flour, with S&P
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 cups egg wash
Fine white bread crumbs, or Panko crumbs
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, half dozen lemon slices to garnish

Cooking-
Melt butter in heavy saucepan, until fast bubble
Flour, egg wash, then flour meat again
Add dredged meat slices and brown, turning to brown other side without over cooking
Splash with fresh lemon juice, and remove from pan to plate
Garnish with fresh lemon slice

I wish you were my mom. When I was young my parents got divorced, one day a giant food truck showed up and unloaded pallets of canned food, I started bringing home Elk and Deer. That country cooking you do is also becoming a rare commodity with today’s busy pace. Keep it up!

One year long ago, I was on my way home from a photo shoot & stopped to visit a friend -- now deceased -- in Idaho Falls. That night for dinner, he took antelope tenderloins, cut them into 3/4" thick medallions & breaded them with a mixture of 1/2 corn meal & 1/2 flour with spices added. He then fried them really quick in 1" of very hot, pure lard.

I later adapted the same recipe for doing northern pike.

One year long ago, I was on my way home from a photo shoot & stopped to visit a friend -- now deceased -- in Idaho Falls. That night for dinner, he took antelope tenderloins, cut them into 3/4" thick medallions & breaded them with a mixture of 1/2 corn meal & 1/2 flour with spices added. He then fried them really quick in 1" of very hot, pure lard.

I later adapted the same recipe for doing northern pike.
1/2 corn meal 1/2 flour, oregano, s/p and garlic powder. I’ve used it for lake trout fillets and venison. Never a complaint

1/2 corn meal 1/2 flour, oregano, s/p and garlic powder. I’ve used it for lake trout fillets and venison. Never a complaint
Also, lots of black pepper for me. I served venison tenderloins that way as appetizers in my 'Steenkin' Peeg Hunt' camp.

no i do not get tired of it , either. deep fried in frydaddy or in a skillet. breaded with flour, corn mealed, corn starch, whatever. add some salt or Tony's Creole seasoning and crystal hot sauce and they are gone! love venison in so many forms but this always was and will be the standard preparation!

read an old french cookbook , think it had the name Derrydale in the title, and every venison recipe called for juniper berries or some sauce containing them. anyone ever use them or any ideas for a sauce of juniper berries?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom