Do You Like My New Truck?

Too much lift and the wheels are too much bling,bling for a truck like that.

NOT BAD FOR A CHEVY!!!

I LIKE THE 4:88 GEAR RATIO THE BEST!!!

THEY'VE GOT THESE NEWER RIGS SO FRICKEN HIGH GEARED YOU CAN'T USE THEM!!!

AND THEN EVERYBODY PUTS THE BIGGER TIRES ON THEM,EVERYBODY BUT ME!!!

THE ONLY THING I DON'T LIKE ABOUT THAT TRUCK IS IT'S NEW ENOUGH I COULD DO 5K-6-K WORTH OF DAMAGE IN ONE TRIP TO THE PAINT ON THE ROADS I TRAVEL!!!

I'LL BET YOU WOULDN'T APPRECIATE A NEW PINSTIPE JOB NOW WOULD YA???

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING YOUR RIG MIGHT BE ANOTHER 'CHICK MAGNET'!!!

No. It is too much of a city boy with a small pen!s rig. Useless for actual hunting, work or off-road. Too fat of tires, too much lift, too much bling. I take it that you never plan on using it anywhere but in town. It is ok if you are trying to impress some materialistic chick or some city boy wanna-be. IMHO. Plus, it is a Chebby.
watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-06 AT 06:32AM (MST)[p]Man what a tough croud. Actually I take it hunting/scouting. I have gone off-road with it already. My last truck has 37's and you would die if you saw what we have done to that truck. Hence the suspension is beefed up in every way possible. This truck is made for hunting. And as for the scratches down the side, like I did to the last truck, that is what the clear 3M shield is on the truck. No scratches! Thanks for the comments. This is NOT made for a city crusier. I love the new Ford Suspension, and love any Ford, Dodge, or Chevy. But heres my concerns with the Fords:

Ford's diesel drama drags on
Power Stroke woes anger buyers, drive up warranty costs
By Richard Truett
Automotive News / December 12, 2005
James and Penny Schrader have bought Fords faithfully for 30 years.

But persistent problems with the Power Stroke diesel engine in their 2004 F-250 pickup have unraveled three decades of brand loyalty. The Schraders, both 63, put a second mortgage on their home in Linden, Mich., to buy the $45,000 truck. Now they say they'll probably never buy another Ford.

"My husband wouldn't look at anything else," says Penny Schrader of their pickup. "But I don't care how good their product was in the past. They haven't treated me well as a loyal customer."

The Schraders aren't alone. Ford Motor Co. has been sued at least 58 times by consumers who bought 2003- and 2004-model Power Stroke trucks. The company also has fielded more than 12,000 consumer complaints, according to Ford's internal warranty data.

Not a minor flaw

This isn't a minor flaw that Ford can dispatch with basic service. The Power Stroke's warranty repair costs are battering Ford's bottom line. In a conference call with Wall Street analysts last March, a company executive acknowledged that Ford's diesel-powered super-duty pickups suffered from quality problems.

Ford has declined to estimate the cost of fixing those defective Power Stroke engines. But Ford has acknowledged that its warranty costs ballooned by $500 million through the first nine months of 2005, compared with the same period a year earlier.

Ford says it is honoring the engine's five-year, 100,000-mile warranty and doing everything it can to repair it. And newer versions of the engine in late 2004- and 2005-model pickups are more reliable.

But the problem will continue to fester. Ford already has sold more than 384,000 diesel trucks with potentially defective engines. And customers like the Schraders appear ready to abandon the brand.

Fixing its diesel problems - in terms of both engine performance and public confidence - is crucial for Ford because the stakes are enormous: Diesels account for about 25 percent of all F-series sales, and the 6.0-liter Power Stroke is a $5,000 option. The engine is offered on medium- and heavy-duty pickups, and had been offered on the discontinued Ford Excursion SUV.

From 225,000 to 250,000 diesel-powered F-series trucks are sold each year, at prices ranging from $30,000 to $50,000-plus.

If Ford can't put things right, the Power Stroke could cause a consumer backlash similar to that of Chrysler's problem-plagued Ultradrive transmission, which alienated minivan owners in the early 1990s.

"If this isn't fixed, and fixed right, and customer satisfaction put back on track, there will be fallout," says Art Spinella, president of CNW Marketing Research Inc. in Bandon, Ore. "Ford will lose buyers to Dodge and General Motors."

Trouble from the start

The 6.0-liter Power Stroke engine has been troublesome from the day it was launched in the fall of 2002. It replaced a somewhat unrefined 7.3-liter diesel.

The powertrain was built by a longtime Ford diesel supplier, International Truck and Engine Corp., of Melrose Park, Ill.

For this version of the engine, International Truck designed a unique high-pressure fuel-injection system.

Most automakers use only electronic controls to operate the fuel injectors in a common-rail system. But the Power Stroke's fuel injectors are operated by a high-pressure oil pump as well as electronics.

According to several of the 150-plus complaints posted on the Web site of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, some trucks never even made it home from the dealership before the fuel injectors or turbocharger failed.

The engine also has been plagued with leaky fuel injectors, oil leaks, broken turbochargers, wiring harness troubles, faulty sensors, defective exhaust gas recirculation valves and bad computers.

Since the engine debuted three years ago, Ford has issued at least 77 technical service bulletins. That is far above average, even for a new engine. These bulletins tell mechanics how to diagnose and fix various problems.

By comparison, there have been eight service bulletins for GM's Duramax diesel V-8 and none for the diesel engine in the Dodge Ram truck. Both engines debuted at about the same time as the Power Stroke.

After just a year on the market, International almost completely redesigned the Power Stroke's fuel system, replacing or redesigning nearly 500 parts. That helped reduce the number of problems, but did not cure the engine of all its ills. Ford has voluntarily recalled the engine at least twice to fix various problems.

The troubles have caused a rift in relations between Ford and International.

The engine can be repaired and made reliable, says International spokesman Bob Carso. Engineers from Ford and International have fixed the problems that plagued the early versions of the engine, he said.

But Carso says the engine is extremely complex and requires "outstanding diagnostic capabilities" to properly identify and repair the faulty parts.

Less help from Ford?

When the Power Stroke's troubles surfaced, Ford tried hard to keep customers happy. In the summer of 2003, Ford took the unusual step of buying back 500 trucks, mostly because of fuel system problems.

But two diesel technicians say Ford has changed the way it deals with the engine problems.

"When they first started out with the 6.0-liter, Ford had a team that was looking over every bit of it and just doing whatever it took to get them fixed," says Mark Ward, a master diesel technician at Landers McLarty Ford in Bentonville, Ark. "And then that just shut off like a light when Ford found out how much losses they were having."

Ward contends Ford is trying to shift more repair costs onto consumers.

"We used to replace turbochargers left and right if the fins had any damage to them," he says. "Now they (Ford) won't accept a turbo back with any fin damage. They are saying if there is any (turbocharger) fin damage whatsoever, it has to be from a dirty air filter. You have to inform the customer that Ford won't pay for that. It's $700, plus the labor."

The fin is the part of the turbocharger that is driven by engine's exhaust system.

"When the 6.0 is running properly, it has much better performance than the 7.3 did," says Charles Ledger, a Ford master technician from Oroville, Calif. "Unfortunately, the 6.0 is plagued with sensor problems." Ledger dispenses advice on his Dieselmann Web site (intellidog.com/dieselmann/home.html).

Ford: No change in policy

Cisco Codina, president of Ford's customer service division, says Ford is not blaming consumers or trying to shift repair costs onto buyers.

"We have not changed any policies whatsoever as it relates to defective material," Codina says. "We don't try to put this blame on the customers. We will spend whatever amount of time and money necessary to help customers who have problems."

Not all of the Power Stroke's defects can be blamed on Ford and International. Consumers may cause problems by installing unauthorized parts that boost engine output. Aftermarket computer chips and exhaust systems can upset the delicate tuning of the engine and cause head gaskets to blow out, Ward says.

Last year Ford and International officials told Automotive News that the Power Stroke's troubles were over. But that turns out to be only partially true.

The engines made today have a better record for reliability, according to NHTSA (see story, above). But those 2003- and early 2004-model engines keep breaking down. And consumers are angry at having to return to the dealership time after time for "reflashes" - new software to be installed in the vehicle's engine computer or other repairs.

Getting better

The number of complaints for 2005 Power Stroke engines has dropped sharply compared with earlier versions since last year's redesign of the engine's fuel system.

But there still are thousands on the road that are not reliable - and may never be. Design deficiencies in some faulty parts, Ward says, have not been addressed.

"If you look at the part number at the new one you are putting on, it's identical to the one you are taking out," notes Ward, the Arkansas technician. "If you start out with something cheap, what do you expect to happen?"

Ward details the engine's troubles and Ford's technical service bulletins on his Web site, flatratetech.com.

The Power Stroke's troubles are reminiscent of Chrysler Corp.'s A-604 automatic transmission - dubbed Ultradrive - that was introduced in Chrysler minivans in 1989. The first versions of the electronically shifted transmission had more problems than a calculus book. Technicians couldn't fix them, consumers were fuming, and Chrysler ended up replacing thousands of transmissions under warranty.

But Codina says Power Stroke has generated more complaints than rival diesels simply because more diesel Fords are on the road.

Says Codina: "We try to address each and every (problem) as we became aware of them. I am sure I am not aware of all of them. But if they (consumers) come to us, we try to do our very best. But today if you have one or two problems, people are not very happy with you."

One more chance

As for the Schraders, three days before they were to appear before a Lemon Law arbitration panel in November, Ford offered to buy back their old truck, waive mileage costs and put them in a 2006 model.

After consulting with a lawyer, the Schraders took the deal. The couple left Michigan a few days later for a road trip West. But they are still angry with Ford because they had to spend a year trying to get their truck fixed.

And they will not cut the new truck any slack. If the new truck so much as sputters, James Schrader says he will pull into the nearest Dodge dealership and trade it for a Ram.

You may e-mail Richard Truett at [email protected]

bigbullfool

I NEED MORE INFO ON THIS CLEAR COAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR TRUCK???

THE LAST FEW VEHICLES I'VE BOUGHT HAVE CLEARCOAT ON THEM & YOU CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT THEM WITHOUT SCRATCING THEM!!!

I'M TELLING CHEVY,FORD & DODGE RIGHT TO THEIR FACE THAT THEIR PAINT JOBS SUCK!!!

I KNOW A COUPLE OF LOCAL CONTRACTORS THAT TURNED THEIR NEW DURA-MAX'S IN ON THE LEMON LAW,THEY LOADED THEIR TRAILORS WITH A FAIRLY HEAVY LOAD & THE MILEAGE WENT TO 4-5 MPG,THESE ARE BONIFIED CHEVY PEOPLE,THEY'LL BOTH TELL YOU WHAT A POS THESE ARE WHEN YOU PUT A HEAVY LOAD BEHIND THEM!!!

WITH A 500.00 MOD ON A NEW DODGE THE OTHER DAY,THE TRUCK CAN NOW SPIN THE REAR TIRES AT 50 MPH & STILL GETS GREAT FUEL MILEAGE,SHOW MWE ANOTHER BRAND THAT WILL SPIN THEM AT 50 MPH ON PAVEMENT & GET 20 MPG!!!

BRING IT ON,I'M READY!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING BOTH FORD & CHEVY BETTER WAKE THE HELL UP!!!

I have to agree with PolarBeer. Nice truck if you are cruising for high school chicks.;-) Otherwise, I think you ruined a good truck.:)

You are not 5'2" are you?;-)

I saw a guy the other day at the grocery store. Revving his Ford diesel, jacked up like Big Foot, and making a scene. He jumped out I could not see his head over the bed side. Poor guy was vertically challenged. I thought it was Tony for a minute.;-)

Nice looking chevy. The front end (axle) is going to give you trouble if you do much off roading with those big tires. IMO the chevy front IFS just doesn't hold up when put to hard use.

I myself am a Dodge lover, it's hard to beat that cummins diesel engine for reliablity and monster torque.

Had a 2002 Chev 2500HD. Two allison tranny's later, I traded it for my 2004 Ford F-350 dually 6.0 stroker. The Chev had 48K when I finally traded it in.

muleyman

Truet is just a hater. In my fleet I own 25 trucks. 15 of them are Ford Super Duty with the Powerstroke with every one of these over 150,000 miles on them and I have never had these problems Truet talks about. I also have one V10 that has 150,000 and have never had one single problem with it. My sales reps all drive F150's till the wheels fall off with little or no issues.
If I had to list a problem with the Power Strokes is the automatic transmissions will go out with the heavy hauling we do day in and day out at around 100,000. Fords are bottom line money makers for the serious work truck user.
Chevy's are week and you will have problems with that front end.

"We MUST Hunt"

My 97 F-350 Crew Cab has 140,000 on it and the only things that I have had to fix was the glow plug relay and the alternator. Not bad for a pos Ford. My 7.3 Powerstroke has hauled many heavy loads of hay, over several passes, during the heat of summer and has never given me one second of trouble. Now, on the other hand, my friend has a 2002 or 2003 with that 6.0 diesel in it and I can out pull him with a load and his being empty. He has had a ton of problems with his rig, but he bought it used and I think the previous owner did some crap to it that messed it up and tried to hide it. Chevy, Dodge, Ford etc all make good rigs, it is just personal preference and what you want them to do.
watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

Here it is again ladies and gentlemen! The great Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate!!!! Lets get ready to RRRRUUUUUMMMMMMBBBBBLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

lol nice truck. Don't like the wheels, but love them Toyo's. Except they are just too damn popular for my taste. Don't like having what everybody else has.

BTW, all you guys that say you can't beat a cummins for a huntin truck then you're freakin crazy. Those diesels will sink faster in mud than anything else. If you got a diesel don't even brag about taking it off road. (I'm a mopar truck guy just so you know)

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

ANY FRICKEN DIESEL IS A WORTHLESS POS IN SEVERE CONDITIONS!!!

ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS BREAK TRACTION!!!

WAY TOO FRICKEN HEAVY & SINK OUT OF SIGHT!!!

WHEN IT COMES TO PULLING & BLOWING SMOKE IN YOUR FACE THEY ARE NUMBER 1!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WAITING FOR SOMEBODY TO MAKE THE PERFECT TRUCK!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-06 AT 08:29AM (MST)[p]You guys are pretty correct in saying a heavy diesel will sink out of sight in the mud. They do, however, break trail thru deep snow like nothing else! But what i'm saying is after recovering the truck from the muck a Dodge or Ford has a better probability of being more mechanicaly intact! Just a matter of fact, if you really use your truck you will eventually get stuck.

I just hate to see someone waste their hard earned money on a GMC/Chevy pickup. I think they might be a good truck for a lot of highway riding and/or towing for older folks wanting something that rides smooth. But from what i've seen and experienced they just don't hold up when they are really used. They were good pickups back before they got so computerized and came with solid front axles.

Nice truck , but I like ranchy type trucks , ya know with black Ranch Hand bumpers up front and out back , not too high , with some good meaty tires on some nice off road rims , not so much chrome , and nice deep sounding exhaust , but NOT LOUD . My nieghbors truck is a big 4door v10 ford probly 6 maybe 8 in lift , and he 4wheels the heck out of it , pulls an 05 36foot trailer , not real well but does get it up to elk camp . My 95 ext cab ford f150 4x4 will go anywhere it would go and more I'm sure....NMHUNTNUTT

Funny how people call them 'Off Road Vehicles'. You can't legally take them off road on public land. A hunting rig you say? You must be a road hunter then because all a truck is good for is getting you to the spot where you start hunting. A ranch or farm truck? You gotta be kidding me city boy. Try spending a full day stacking hay on it, you'll figure out why farmers and ranchers don't do that to their vehicles.

If that kind of vehicle is what you want that is fine with me, just remember what it is and what it isn't.

BeanMan

Who Bean Man ? I was saying I like ranchy lookin trucks , the city boy remark for me???NMHUNTNUTT

It's cool but it does look like you are compensating for something. Remember - clearance is only as high as half (or so) the height of your tires.
ROY

The problem with trucks and why they look silly with big lift kits is the wheel wells are not cut out enough to match the larger size tires, so the bigger the tire the higher you have to go with the lift if you don't want your tires taking out the fenders. A nice two to four inch lift looks good with two maybe three tire sizes bigger than stock. Just enough to fill out the wheel wells. Any bigger than that looks silly.

My sister dated a guy in high school who was 5'4" tall. Guess how tall his truck was? You got it, the tallest in town.

All that money put into a truck!! How many hunts could I get for the amount you paid!! Hmmmmmmmm!!!

Yeah Bean , I know what yout saying . My nieghbor raised his truck even more this past week , told me all th new stuff he put on it , then asked me how I liked it . Man I felt bad to say it was lookin good , but hes simply taking away from a great truck .....My little f150 no doubt will out wheel his monster , heck I bet it will pull his 30 footer better than his ....NM

Where did you go bigbullfool?

Geez, this got brutal fast. Don't let it ruin your day though.
Show a picture of a naked hard body on the front seat if you want us to feel bad. Maybe the front and back seat full of naked college girls would work.

Geez Browtine, would you like to kick me in the left nut too? That is one nice rig! Stylish too! Me and Granny hook up our 5th wheel and head to Mesa next week. Wanna go?

You guys are dicks! That truck may be a little overboard but its still a sweet truck. I would just be afraid to wheel it because i wouldnt wanna hurt it but it is pretty nice...

ktc, when you coming back?!?!? You going down there like ever other old timer "quartsite" (sp) because of the cold winter?!?!?.

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Yup. I am never coming back! Well, after I hunt Utah LE elk I will leave and never be seen again. I hope.:)

In the meantime I will just hang out with the rest of you Utards.:)

no way will that ever see an jeep trail,creek bottom ,mudd, up hill or down hill ohv road,or an dead bull or buck in the bed.. ever... rackmaster

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom