Dogs in Wolf Country

GlassMaster

Hey y’all,

going up to Unit 10 in September to hunt black bear. Gonna be there 2 weeks, hunting and fly fishing the alpine lakes.

I always take my Husky on my hunts with me, but this is my first hunt in Wolf country. Looking at the maps of the local Wolf packs it looks like there are 3 different packs that overlap in the areas where I’m planning to be.

Anyone here familiar with camping in the backcountry with dogs with wolves present? My concern is that they may pick up on the scent of his urine and view him as competition, making him a target.

I’m defiantly leaning toward not taking him on this trip, because I’d rather be safe than sorry and the last thing I want is my best hunting buddy torn apart by wolves.

The one thought that keeps me even considering it is the fact that folks have been taking dog sled teams through Alaska and Canada (some of the most densely populated Wolf country on the continent) for hundreds of years, but in that example we’re also talking about teams of dogs rather than a lone husky.

But figured it would make for interesting discussion regardless.

Hey y’all,

going up to Unit 10 in September to hunt black bear. Gonna be there 2 weeks, hunting and fly fishing the alpine lakes.

I always take my Husky on my hunts with me, but this is my first hunt in Wolf country. Looking at the maps of the local Wolf packs it looks like there are 3 different packs that overlap in the areas where I’m planning to be.

Anyone here familiar with camping in the backcountry with dogs with wolves present? My concern is that they may pick up on the scent of his urine and view him as competition, making him a target.

I’m defiantly leaning toward not taking him on this trip, because I’d rather be safe than sorry and the last thing I want is my best hunting buddy torn apart by wolves.

The one thought that keeps me even considering it is the fact that folks have been taking dog sled teams through Alaska and Canada (some of the most densely populated Wolf country on the continent) for hundreds of years, but in that example we’re also talking about teams of dogs rather than a lone husky.

But figured it would make for interesting discussion regardless.
I take my dogs into wolf and grizzly country all the time. How well does your dog listen? Is your dog a wanderer? If your dog takes off and is gone for awhile I would keep him home. But if he stays within sight of you by all means take him. He must listen well since you're taking him bear hunting in the first place. MOST dog/wolf situations that end badly are hound dogs used for mt lion hunting. They get really far away chasing a track and get mixed up with a wolf pack. Sad when it happens. Very rare and even more rare for someone just out with their dog to have a wolf altercation.

Good luck on your bear hunt. I love taking my dog on hunts:
D89F9464-79B0-4E91-B57D-23B9D280C3BE.jpeg

I don't agree with SS on much but I think he is giving you solid advice. If your dog stays close by and listens to your commands, it shouldn't be any problem to have him along. A dog that takes off and wanders and doesn't listen to your commands would be a problem even if there were no wolves. I've taken my dogs with me in wolf country and calling coyotes on a regular basis. I think their greatest risk of death are cars and rattle snakes.

I also agree with elkboy32, probably more likely your dog will be mistaken for a wolf and shot by some idiot than for wolves to kill your dog.

I take my dogs into wolf and grizzly country all the time. How well does your dog listen? Is your dog a wanderer? If your dog takes off and is gone for awhile I would keep him home. But if he stays within sight of you by all means take him. He must listen well since you're taking him bear hunting in the first place. MOST dog/wolf situations that end badly are hound dogs used for mt lion hunting. They get really far away chasing a track and get mixed up with a wolf pack. Sad when it happens. Very rare and even more rare for someone just out with their dog to have a wolf altercation.

Good luck on your bear hunt. I love taking my dog on hunts:View attachment 45380
Thanks SS,

it’s great to hear from another hunter who values sharing experiences with his pup. A good human hunting buddy is great, but nothing beats sharing your hunts with a good dog.

so far he’s been on antelope, deer and coyote hunts. This will be his first bear hunt. He’s proven extremely valuable several times in finding water when we’re in the backcountry. Not sure if it’s his ears or nose half the time, but a good dog is a great value to have on any hunt in my opinion.

I honestly would be more worried about people thinking your dog is a wolf and shooting it. Put some bright colors on it. A local husky was shot twice on a backpack trip a few weeks ago after wandering into the wrong camp.
That’s good insight, I still have to order him a pack with more storage as he carries his own food and water. I’ll definitely look for one with a brighter color scheme.

I’m truly grateful for you raising this point! As you can see, he definitely looks like a husky, but he doesn’t look completely unlike a wolf either.

E8C05D45-D3DB-4FDA-B36E-C346FEF2E338.jpeg

I don't agree with SS on much but I think he is giving you solid advice. If your dog stays close by and listens to your commands, it shouldn't be any problem to have him along. A dog that takes off and wanders and doesn't listen to your commands would be a problem even if there were no wolves. I've taken my dogs with me in wolf country and calling coyotes on a regular basis. I think their greatest risk of death are cars and rattle snakes.
? shots fired SS!

I appreciate it man, it’s good to hear from you guys who have actually been in wolf country and done it, rather than a bunch of armchair experts. One of the many reasons why I value this forum so much and avoid FB groups at all costs!

@elkboy32 and @BrianID bring up great points. I would make sure your dog has a lot of bright colored stuff on. A few years back someone shot two German Shepard’s thinking they were wolves. Accidents happen and that’s why they are called accidents. I could see the vast majority of hunters mistaking your dog for a wolf. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

what pack do you use? Nugget a ruff wear one. He can pack his food and blanket. It’s an ok pack but fits larger dogs better.
59E5877D-4E1C-4F55-B3CD-B521FCBD252E.jpeg

@elkboy32 and @BrianID bring up great points. I would make sure your dog has a lot of bright colored stuff on. A few years back someone shot two German Shepard’s thinking they were wolves. Accidents happen and that’s why they are called accidents. I could see the vast majority of hunters mistaking your dog for a wolf. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

what pack do you use? Nugget a ruff wear one. He can pack his food and blanket. It’s an ok pack but fits larger dogs better. View attachment 45385
I remember that incident, Brandon (Something or other) was the guy’s name if I’m not mistaken, a big social media hunter, he took A LOT of heat after that incident. But you’re right, adrenaline is in fact a helluva drug.

I don’t have a photo of him wearing it (I need to get better about taking photos when we’re hunting, it’s difficult when it’s just us two though), but here is the one we’re using. It’s good, and works well for day trips and overnighters, but for long trip in September I’m hoping to find something with more storage. I might just bust out the sewing kit and make some modifications of my own.

DDE5C56F-9FB0-4735-8618-EDB06608B693.png

Here is the one I ordered based off a lot of research. It’s not here yet so I have no experience with it but it has high reviews:

Here is the one I ordered based off a lot of research. It’s not here yet so I have no experience with it but it has high reviews:

Looks like it has some big pockets compared to others

That is wild. I keep my boy leashed most of the time, especially when I’m sleeping or anytime I’m unable to keep an eye on him. He’s a good dog, but he’s still a dog and prone to doing dog things… like getting bored and exploring if left unattended, heck I’m the same lol.

I honestly can’t completely fault the guy who shot the dog though, as we mentioned adrenaline will prevent the majority of people from thinking clearly and if anything resembling a wolf was running toward my pup, I can’t say with 100% certainty that I wouldn’t shoot first and ask questions later… that’s one of those situations where it’s easy to “Monday morning quarterback it”, but put in that situation who knows how we’d actually react.

sounds like Suki would be in the same condition she was at the beginning of the hike if her owners had her tethered.

such an awful situation for everyone involved, and one I hope to never experience personally.

That comment is just as dumb as thinking an overweight malamute as a wolf. At least the guy who shot it took responsibility for what he did. It doesn't seem like the dogs owner took any responsibility for the situation. I have a problem with the owner of the malamute allowing their dog to explore unmonitored. Camping in the backcountry and letting your dog wander around while you stay in your tent for an hour to avoid the rain is setting up most dogs to get in a bad situation. A mama moose would stomp your dog into the dirt if it came to check out her calf.

I would like to think a majority of hunters would not mistake a dog for a wolf. I've seen wolves in the wild and instantly had no doubt I was looking at a wolf and not a coyote or pet dog.

I would definitely put some blaze orange on that dog if you take him anywhere where guys might be looking to shoot a wolf. Ever see any of the posts where guys argue all day that a pic of a fluffy 25lb coyote is a wolf.

PS I'm a chukar hunter and rarely let my dogs loose without a GPS collar on. Has a feature that can send a "beep" tone, vibration, or shock at the touch of a button and mine are trained to return to me immediately at a tone. Used this once while chukar hunting in Jan in wintering grounds and a pack was spotted. Consider a collar if you roam much with your dog and they are not a natural heeler.

I would definitely put some blaze orange on that dog if you take him anywhere where guys might be looking to shoot a wolf. Ever see any of the posts where guys argue all day that a pic of a fluffy 25lb coyote is a wolf.

PS I'm a chukar hunter and rarely let my dogs loose without a GPS collar on. Has a feature that can send a "beep" tone, vibration, or shock at the touch of a button and mine are trained to return to me immediately at a tone. Used this once while chukar hunting in Jan in wintering grounds and a pack was spotted. Consider a collar if you roam much with your dog and they are not a natural heeler.
I appreciate the insight BPKH!

I do have a collar for him that beeps when he gets too far, and he is trained to return at the beep.

I will definitely put blaze on him before we get out there.

With as many yahoos as there are in Idaho anymore, I'd put an orange vest on your dog. I have a Duck Tolling Retriever (bred to look like a fox) and I won't even think about a pheasant hunt without an orange vest on her

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom