Dogs...

ColoradoRam

Just curious if there is a breed that can be trained for both bear and cats? What kind of breeds do you have? Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-19 AT 09:42PM (MST)[p]Yes there is.

My grandfather was a houndsman and I grew up hunting w/him.

He was pretty sedentary in those years, and all said, we probably only went 10-20 times. But, man did I hear stories.

He hunted coons, and bobcats mostly. I don't remember him saying that he had hunted "lions." But, he must have.

He said that a cat is a cat...IOW, all cats act alike. Your housecat acts like a bobcat, Lynx and Lion/Puma/Cougar/Catamount/Mountain Lion.

He also hunted bears...hard to do in Yuma, AZ. But, he got called at least twice to do that. He always carried a pistol and never a rifle. He shot one w/a .38 and the other w/a .22. Both w/one shot and they both hit the ground dead.

He said that not every dog would run a bear...some of em knew by the smell that they didn't want to fool w/one.

Now, the point, all of this was done w/one pack of dogs. The most I ever him remember him having was 4-5...good dogs...Usually 3.

I remember Black & Tans, Redbones (like in "Where the Redfern Grows."), Blue-Ticks.

So, pick any coon-hound and go w/it.

John 14:6

i ran redbones, walkers, black and tans as well as blue ticks along with bluetick walker crosses

all had plus and minus to them.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Yep I agree with the above post , Reds , Black N Tans , Blue?s , English , I've run them all. Personal favorites over the years have been Black N Tans and Blue?s , real gritty no give up bloodlines ! That's the trick is finding the one with the go , color doesn't matter much !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom