Don't love the BTX.

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
So my mom got the btx. I personally do not like it. Can't stand that you cannot zoom and it does not seem to be as a stable as a spotting scope. Just thought I'd throw this out there in the case anyone is thinking about getting it. I know lots of people love it, but it's not for me.

So my mom got the btx. I personally do not like it. Can't stand that you cannot zoom and it does not seem to be as a stable as a spotting scope. Just thought I'd throw this out there in the case anyone is thinking about getting it. I know lots of people love it, but it's not for me.
It’s funny because I think I’m the only one of my friends who dislikes the 10x42 els with range finder, they just weren’t for me

I've had the BTX for about 3 years. I don't even put it in my pack most of the time and often leave it home. For most of my tripod work I use my 15X. For mule deer glassing within a mile, I prefer the 15X because the wider field of view and they provide a brighter image those critical 15 minutes of first and last light. If most of my glassing that day will be less than a mile, I don't even put the BTX in my pack because I can get by with my spotter and 15X. I still prefer the spotter to evaluate antlers at long range over the BTX. The extra zoom of the spotter helps me get a slightly better look at the antlers.

The BTX is very nice for long term glassing of stuff that is a mile or more away. It is also nice for situations the extra magnification is beneficial, such as coues deer. If I didn't already have the BTX, I may just purchase a high quality pair of really big binoculars. I am thinking about buying the 115 mm objective for the BTX which I think it would make it more useful. It is kind of hard to justify the extra $3000 for the 115 mm if I'm not going to use it any more than I have the BTX.

Ya it’s a pick your poison with the btx do you leave it a 35 or 60. I recently just took of my magnifier to watch the eclipse last Friday. I’d say it’s the best optic for glassing duration at a long distance. The price is steep but it’s great.

Sometimes the 35 power of the BTX is too much and sometimes its not enough. But I only use it when I'm hunting or scouting from the truck which means I also have a pair of 10x42 binos and another spotter that goes to 60 power with me. Fatrooster.
20211121_141158.jpg
20211121_141005.jpg

Sometimes the 35 power of the BTX is too much and sometimes its not enough. But I only use it when I'm hunting or scouting from the truck which means I also have a pair of 10x42 binos and another spotter that goes to 60 power with me. Fatrooster.View attachment 60110View attachment 60111
I agree, seems like a lot of money for something that is only useful in limited situations. Not sure what all the hype is about. Maybe it's just me.

SS!, that is an AR carry bag. Not sure if I like it as an optics bag but it works.
Schoolhousegrizz, the beauty of the 35 power BTX is that it allows you to use two eyes which means less fatigue and long hours of comfortable glassing. At 35 power you can see deer waaaaaay out there for miles. After using it, its very tough to switch over to one eye glassing. A single eye spotter just seems so dark. Plus, you have the option of using a 1.7 magnifier for extra long range. As nice as it is, it's still not perfect. But no optic is perfect. Fatrooster.

I picked up a BTX last year. A lot lighter and packable than the Kowas I have spent hours behind. They are not for everyone but for desert muleys and coues I have have fallen in love with them.
Besides being lighter and more packable, do you think the BTX is better than the Kowas? What one do you prefer optically?

Besides being lighter and more packable, do you think the BTX is better than the Kowas? What one do you prefer optically?
If I'm not packing them and sitting in one spot close to the truck... prefer the Kowas. I think they are brighter especially early and late. The BTX is just A LOT more versatile with the 1.7 multiplier and packability. I like the 65mm for packing and the 95mm for closer to the truck. I thought about the 115mm earlier this year but after a week glassing ibex in NM I personally could not see a big enough difference from the 95mm to justify the spend.

If I'm not packing them and sitting in one spot close to the truck... prefer the Kowas. I think they are brighter especially early and late. The BTX is just A LOT more versatile with the 1.7 multiplier and packability. I like the 65mm for packing and the 95mm for closer to the truck. I thought about the 115mm earlier this year but after a week glassing ibex in NM I personally could not see a big enough difference from the 95mm to justify the spend.
Would be nice if the Kowa were packer friendly. That being said, I’ll still pack them when needed and leave them when it’s a backcountry hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom